Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Inconceivable notions

Haatu   

*Disclaimer- in no shape or form is this a troll thread, I'm not Alpha :D

As some of you may have guessed, I am a qurbo kid. As such, I was bereft of the opportunity to understand the Somali culture truly as it should be. I grew up in a white neighbourhood secluded from the Somali ghettos :D This meant that growing up and up to this day, most of my friends are not Somali. The consequence of this has been me being alien to a large part of the cultural norms of the Somalis and the language. Although I have been able to learn to read and write the language, I'm still lacking in many aspects.

This thread is for anyone who's in the same situation as me or otherwise to ask any questions they might have about anything Somali that they don't understand and hopefully some of the cirrooley on the forum will assist us :D

Haatu   

I'll start. I always notice this abbreviation (I think it is) being used. It's IWM, the Somali equivalent of etc. But the question is, what does it stand for?

what nonsense......

''i'm an ex-self-hating somali and now i wanna come back to the fold and be accepted despite the various pre-conditions i've placed before you.''

haatu, NO one can give you the validation you seek. find yourself and be content with the 'findings'

''This meant that growing up and up to this day, most of my friends are not Somali. The consequence of this has been me being alien to a large part of the cultural norms of the Somalis and the language. Although I have been able to learn to read and write the language, I'm still lacking in many aspects.''

I'm in the same position as you are. As long as you are eager to catch up with what you have missed you are good. It's never too late to learn things about your culture. Better late then never.

I come across the word eebbe all the time on this forum and wonder what it means.

Carafaat   

Haatu, I am in the same kind of situation. What I find most difficult to understand is the Somali Sarbeeb (indirect language forms).

Example: Someone once called me 'Idacada Ruushka'. This meant I was being talkative without listening to others.

Carafaat;886157 wrote:
Haatu, I am in the same kind of situation. What I find most difficult to understand is the Somali Sarbeeb (indirect language forms).

Example: Someone once called me 'Idacada Ruushka'. This meant I was being talkative without listening to others.

god, there were times when i asked silly questions like that. i must be getting older and a lot more smarter.

inaadeero arafat, this idacada ruushka means ''sleeper cell''. its means you're a spy! LOOOOOOOOL. god, i remember when i hosted you here in hargeisa, i should've asked the close protection unit (CPU) to search you for wires and taps etc.... god, know what information or samples you have of me...LOL:D

lol@haatu,

you're so qurbo-joog ma iistiiri?. yeey means wolf in somali. he was was called this because he possessed similar traits to this wild creature. its quiet similar to Carlos the jackal, which you might be more familiar with!

Haatu   

lol Am I that bad that even Alpha has to give me pointers? :D

Wow now that is a revelation. Wolf you say. Hmmm...

Haatu;886334 wrote:
lol Am I that bad that even Alpha has to give me pointers?
:D

now, my new and indeed relative and so-called knowledge, doesn't necessarily, has to mean a threat to you! we're all here to share knowledge and experiences haatu. don't be threatened by me, for indeed i could learn so much from you. sharing is caring bro. its not my fault the big foot yeti is scared of the monkey! :D

A_Khadar   

Haatu;886334 wrote:
lol Am I that bad that even Alpha has to give me pointers?
:D

Alpha got it right, but I don't think this was his nickname but his father's. I could be wrong but I heard people calling to him as Ina yeey, which meant the son of Yeey.. BTW, in general nicknames just come out of no co-relation with language or calture, very much they are independent and based on reasons, incidents etc.