Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Alpha's Troll and Cantarbaqash Corner LOL

Tallaabo   

Khayr;991312 wrote:
Alpha,

Power is all consuming.

Did you think Silanyo would be any different?

Saff,

Hope all will at Harvard.

Does this mean that you will

miss the concert?

I didn't know Safferz is at Harvard:)

Tallaabo   

Does anyone know what to do about food addiction? I am very addicted to bananas!! Indeed I munch through more bananas than a troop of monkey in a jungle would do. HELP!!!:(

Haatu   

Tallaabo;991434 wrote:
Does anyone know what to do about food addiction? I am very addicted to bananas!! Indeed I munch through more bananas than a troop of monkey in a jungle would do. HELP!!!
:(

Inaar coming from a man with a self-professed "qalooc", the innuendos here are innumerable :D

Safferz   

So on my first day post-finals, I binged watched the entire first season of Scandal and was up until 6am, gripped to my seat. I can't believe I've never watched this show before now :eek: I plan to watch all of season two today, I am not even leaving my apartment so I can put all my time and energy into watching all 22 episodes in one sitting lol.

o-SCANDAL-SEASON-3-POSTER-570.jpg?6

I'M SO EXCITED

Khayr   

What an absolute waste of

time. Go run 3 miles and drink carrot juices. I can't fathom

watching back to back episodes of anything.

Safferz   

Khayr;991457 wrote:
What an absolute waste of

time. Go run 3 miles and drink carrot juices. I can't fathom

watching back to back episodes of anything.

That's you. My semester is now OVER after a stressful four months, I've read more books in that time than most people have read in years, and I've earned my damn right to watch whatever the hell I want. It's my way to decompress, so on the agenda this week are hours of films and television I've missed out on, treating myself to a manicure/pedicure, going to the Beyonce concert on Friday, then flying home to Toronto to visit my parents on the weekend :)

So 29 episodes of Scandal season 2 (not 22 as I had thought, even better), let's go! I might not even get out of bed today.

Tallaabo   

Safferz;991448 wrote:
I didn't know that either. That's a low blow Khayr, he knows I'm self-conscious about being a Boston University student and he thinks he can mock me :mad:

Boston University is very good too and many student wish to go there, so I can't understand why you are not happy with it:confused:

Safferz   

Tallaabo;991465 wrote:
Boston University is very good too and many student wish to go there, so I can't understand why you are not happy with it:confused:

You're right Tallaabo, BU is a great school but sometimes the teasing between the Boston area schools can get quite intense. Those brats over at Harvard and MIT think they're better than everyone :mad:

Tallaabo   

Safferz;991466 wrote:
You're right Tallaabo, BU is a great school but sometimes the teasing between the Boston area schools can get quite intense. Those brats over at Harvard and MIT think they're better than everyone :mad:

Sure they got a LOT more dollar-animated.gif than BU but education at all those institutions is the same and learning always depends on the student's ambitions and hard work.

Safferz   

Thanks Tallaabo :)

Today I went out and bought a crapload of art supplies -- oil pastels, watercolour paint, pencil crayons, markers, etc. I used to be really into it in high school but pretty much quit anything creative I used to do when I started university. So now that I have some time off, why not get back into it?

Did you know they make people in psych wards colour? It relieves stress :P

MODERN SLAVERY: AN INVENTED CRIME

The myth of modern slavery is built on dodgy stats and political opportunism.

Listening to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, I can’t quite believe my ears. The UK home secretary, Theresa May, is lost for words when questioned about her new vanity project, the Modern Slavery Bill. She acknowledges that she has no idea whether her claim that slavery is a rising crime is supported by evidence. As soon as she hints that there could be 10,000 slaves in the UK, she adds that the ‘honest position is that we don’t know whether there are fewer or indeed more victims’. But in a world where fantasy often serves as the main resource for policymaking, May’s admission of ignorance is not all that surprising.

Still, we are told that the Modern Slavery Bill will be published and hastily pushed through the Houses of Parliament. Apparently speed is of the essence – there is simply no time to lose. Why? Because in a review commissioned by the UK Home Office, Labour MP Frank Field has concluded that Britain is confronted by an epidemic of what he diagnosed as ‘modern slavery’. Field speculates that there are 10,000 ‘victims’ of slavery in the UK. And that, it seems, is good enough to move normally lethargic parliamentarians into action.

The guesstimate of 10,000 modern slaves has as much basis in reality as if I were to claim that there are 12,500 professional horse-thieves in the UK. This is a figure of faith, one based on the kind of quasi-religious calculation that predicted that the world would come to an end on 21 May 2011. As with rapture theology, the claims of political fantasists cannot be disproven. Soothsayers always have a get-out clause. So, too, do the moral entrepreneurs scaremongering about modern slavery.

For example, the advocacy organisation, Unseen, claims that victims of modern slavery are literally unseen. And that’s good enough for the police, which is why the Avon and Somerset Constabulary has recently drawn on Unseen’s ‘expertise’ to tackle the problem of slavery in its towns. After a recent raid in which three people were rescued, Chief Superintendent Julian Moss explained that ‘some of those affected will not view themselves as victims and, even if they do, may have been unable to speak to the police or any other authorities for a variety of reasons’.

So long as it is left to advocacy organisations, the police or Theresa May, and not to those rescued, to decide who the victims of slavery are, the numbers will continue to rise. What this means is that a variety of experiences – some involving physical coercion, brutal force and emotional manipulation and some simply cases of economic exploitation – are now ticked off as examples of modern slavery in future crime statistics. In this way, self-deceiving moral entrepreneurs and headline-grabbing public figures have become accomplices to the invention of a new crime. And with the creation of this new crime, there is also an imperative to find more victims. That is why the response of the Labour opposition was not to say, ‘hey, slow down, let’s think about this and get our facts straight’, but rather to demand that the Modern Slavery Bill be expanded to include ‘legal protection for child victims’.

If only British parliamentarians had watched episode 25 of the Danish political drama Borgen. In that episode, Birgitte Nyborg, the former prime minster and now head of a new party, is confronted with a situation that is spookily similar to the one facing May. Copenhagen police have found three women who were forced into prostitution and there is a public campaign to criminalise the purchasing of sex. At first, Nyborg is inclined to jump on the bandwagon. But after reflection, she realises that a media-orchestrated public outcry is not a sound basis for policymaking. To her credit, she talks to sex workers and realises that sensationalist accounts of trafficking are just that – sensationalist. In the end, instead of going along with the movement for criminalising the purchase of sex, she calls for the decriminalisation of activities associated with sex workers.

Regrettably, May is no Nyborg and fantasy politics are in the ascendancy in the UK. Back on the Today programme, May is asked why there were only eight prosecutions for trafficking in 2011 – after all, we are meant to be in the grip of an epidemic. I would like to think that Nyborg would have answered that maybe there were only eight prosecutions because there was only a tiny number of cases that were worthy of prosecution. But in the UK, you are not allowed to say that. Certainly not now, when a new crime - which includes a provision for automatic life sentence for offenders with a prior conviction – is about to be born.

Frank Furedi’s new book, Authority: A Sociological History, is published by Cambridge University Press. (Order this book from Amazon (UK).)

FRANK FUREDI

SOCIOLOGIST AND COMMENTATOR

-----------

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/modern_slavery_the_invention_of_a_crime/14424#.UrGGvPQW3z4

-----------

interesting.......