Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Alpha's Troll and Cantarbaqash Corner LOL

^ it didn't seem like it...from where i was standing. :mad:

also, why are you misquoting Abraham Lincoln. he was already dead by the time the internet was invented.....!

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;948027 wrote:

also, why are you misquoting Abraham Lincoln. he was already dead by the time the internet was invented.....!

That was the point dee

^ i don't think Oba's quote was misquoted.....ee sida uula soco....;)

having said that.......''management systems'' are fairly new and i sort of agree with you on that point....

Safferz   

Send me some :D

I got lazy and only made the alfredo, but I submitted my paper and cleaned my apartment so overall I feel SO accomplished. If I can get myself out of this ponytail and do my hair tomorrow and wear something other than yoga pants I will feel like a rockstar lol. Essay writing hell is nearly over, one more paper to go and I can be myself again...

Safferz   

I'm using my first summer there as more of a visibility trip... checking things out, identifying local and regional archives (and finding out what condition documents are in), improving my fluency in Somali since it isn't perfect (and getting Amharic practice when I can) and conducting preliminary fieldwork ie. talking to elders and other locals about the region's history, collecting poetry, that sort of thing. I'm hoping to write a dissertation that examines the tensions between Somali identites/nationalisms and Ethiopian state expansion and consolidation at the edges of its empire... so looking at the historical experiences of the Somali periphery to assess the paradoxical role of Ethiopia as both an empire and an independent African nation in the age of European colonialism and see the workings of Ethiopian state power and sovereignty.

The real fieldwork is in the fourth and fifth years of the PhD, so right now I'm just looking to determine the feasibility of this as a dissertation topic and whether I have the source material to pull it off. I think I do :)

Safferz   

Not really... I'm more interested in the Somali region's incorporation (1897 and after) through to the mid-20th century with the rise of Somali nationalism across the Somali territories. I'm not sure sure how far I'll take it into the present, but I think 1991 is a good end point for my study because of what Somalia's collapse meant for the region, as well as the collapse of the Derg (and Amhara dominance) and the rise of the TPLF in Ethiopia.