Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Who will be Somalia’s Next Prime Minister?

Who will be Somalia’s Next Prime

Minister?

By Hassan M. Abukar

Sept. 16, 2012

Presdient Hassan Sh. Mohamud

The new Somali president, Hassan Sh. Mohamoud, did not have much time to rest after his victory; the next day, a group of masked men attempted to kill him in a failed suicide mission. Then, unconfirmed reports claimed that his private email was hacked. The biggest task ahead of the president now is to appoint a prime minister, a job which has attracted all kinds of seekers and dreamers.

Former Somali president, Siad Barre, used to say, “It is not who you are [clan wise] but what you know.” In an ideal situation in which knowledge and competence matter, someone like Dr. Ahmed I. Samatar, a former journalist (BBC) and a professor of political science for 30 years in the US, would be a shoo-in for either the office of the presidency or the premiership.

http://www.wardheernews.com/Articles_12/Sept/Abukar/16_who_will_be_Somalias_next_PM.html

STOIC   

This article accurately depict the state of Somali politics without sugar coating.It is my contention (and hopefully the author's ) that clan is certainly a fundamental component of Somalia politics.The options are limited for the president, if he wants to succeed. He can't show any tactical flexibility in his selection.It is the way the clan power is set. As the author clearly explained the president will only appoint a D-block prime minister (Sorry the Samatar).

STOIC;870132 wrote:
This article accurately depict the state of Somali politics without sugar coating.It is my contention (and hopefully the author's ) that clan is certainly a fundamental component of Somalia politics.The options are limited for the president, if he wants to succeed. He can't show any tactical flexibility in his selection.It is the way the clan power is set. As the author clearly explained the president will only appoint a D-block prime minister (Sorry the Samatar).

Well said that's how it looks like for now.

UZTAAD   

I think the most deserving is mr gaas to continue as pm because he has done a wonderful job so far. if he is going going to bring some other useless islaax guy that will be a grave mistake. this is not some religious group business.

Yunis   

UZTAAD;870153 wrote:
I think the most deserving is mr gaas to continue as pm because he has done a wonderful job so far. if he is going going to bring some other useless islaax guy that will be a grave mistake. this is not some religious group business.

nonsense - Pic our ilk Faroole mantra or else days are over with.

The Zack   

Somalia;870155 wrote:
Ma dumar baa nahay markaa xishoonino?
:D

LOL not that kind of shyness waryaa! You can't keep advocating your clan members, very shameful! It is like me telling my friends that my brother is very cool and smart and deserves this and that everyday. My brother can posses all that but it is just shame for one to always talk for their folk.

Mooge   

Yunis;870159 wrote:

no your guy farmaajo or that islaax guy doodishe should be picked. :) you are so predictable ninyoow.

Mooge   

The Zack;870162 wrote:
LOL not that kind of shyness waryaa! You can't keep advocating your clan members, very shameful! It is like me telling my friends that my brother is very cool and smart and deserves this and that everyday. My brother can posses all that but it is just shame for one to always talk for their folk.

you are new to politics zack. what is up with the new innocence outburst. stop playing ninyoow. you know fully well this is what somali politics is about ninyoow. it is about advocating your guy and playing hard politics. just look around the farmaajo crowd or the unuka friends.

Yunis;870159 wrote:

the only nonsense here is you there is no one more deserving than the former Pm and putting tribal politics aside it would be a decision most somali would feel comfortable with, and that most somali expect if the president ...chooses someone else based solely on political or tribal companionship will end up nothing more than a controversial president and the last thing we need right now is a controversial president.

People like you who seem hell bent on opposing puntland rather than finding an acceptable middle ground are whats wrong with somalia, dont act like Prof. gaas being selected would be the worst possible outcome or some dire plot, when we all know is something even the most bitter anti-puntlander would be willing to have Gaas return as PM....

The Zack   

Mooge,

I am new to politics? Yea I am new to politics because I started following politics when Yey joined the TFG :)

Anyways, I was talking to UZTAAD so take a chill pill!

Zak ragaan yaysan ku wareerin. If you mention anyone else for this position they will hit the roof, Marka wait and see.

Latest news:

The latest news for PM position...........The president is leaning towards appointing a guy from AFMADOOW . But could change anytime lol

Yunis   

Sulleiman The Great;870167 wrote:
the only nonsense here is you there is no one more deserving than the former Pm and putting tribal politics aside it would be a decision most somali would feel comfortable with, and that most somali expect if the president ...chooses someone else based solely on political or tribal companionship will end up nothing more than a controversial president and the last thing we need right now is a controversial president.

People like you who seem hell bent on opposing puntland rather than finding an acceptable middle ground are whats wrong with somalia, dont act like Prof. gaas being selected would be the worst possible outcome or some dire plot, when we all know is something even the most bitter anti-puntlander would be willing to have Gaas return as PM....

That is load of bull rants. But, you guys seem to think elections or selecting PM posts are done through internet. Haven’t you learned anything with all the dizzying campaign pre-election posts for Gaas that was mobilized on this forum?.

Look, it matters not even an ounce of concern for me who he selects or which region they are from, even if it happens to be a puntlander, but it’s not surprising me that you and others here with the same old politically asinine, childish hollow behavior of casting the first alarming bells of doom-and-gloom for this president, if he picks islaax member or this and that other group and should instead pick Gaas. That is a bygone TFG era, and certainly not one that helps Somalia come back from abyss and on towards genuine stability.