Sign in to follow this  
oba hiloowlow

Latest Mogadishu Pictures

Future Vision of Mogadishu

In front of the office of the Benadiir Regional Administration offices is a collection of paintings. One in particular always catches my eye and imagination. It is a painting of Mogadishu that pulls together an array of buildings and landmarks, yet it somehow how looks more like the future than the past. Images of Mogadishu are always profound, with its unique blend of medieval buildings, art deco facades, and architectural motifs consistent with much of the Swahili coast. Yet this painting always my imagination by blending these historic elements to create a vision of tomorrow. How many cities, in their nostalgia, illuminate the future?

mogadishucity.jpg

New Construction Everywhere

Every street corner, intersection, and alleyway in Mogadishu is covered with men and women hard at work. Food for work programs, volunteer groups, ngos, private businesses, and residents are ambitiously clearing away the rubble, constructing new housing, opening restaurants, and hotels. Over the course of 2011 the city has had a serious makeover, to the point where it is disorienting. There is more traffic on the street, more people on the sidewalk, and constant noise. The pounding of hammers, the buzzing of drills and the grating teeth of saw blades mix with horns, shouts, and sirens. The city is alive and chaotic, but in a way that makes me want to pick up a hammer, go out, and build something.

Mogadishu is getting busy

Everyday in Mogadishu the rate of construction increases. Lines of trucks dot the streets, stacked high with building materials and imported goods, and boats too. An old man working at the pier said that he is busier now unloading freight than ever before, and he has worked the docks for decades. In the 1980s there were maybe two ships a week, and during the era of Al Shabaab, as little as one ship every two months. But now there are as many as two ships per day, and the trucks line up to distribute the goods throughout the city. The streets are changing Fast

xabad   

oba hiloowlow;929234 wrote:

weecasho%20(63).JPG

shidh i cant stand this. just looking at the way they are sashaying, they aint even religious. so why wear this ugly defacing ninja crap.:mad: