Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Today I felt proud as a Somali

Marksman   

That guy is doing amazing. You guys should also check out these upcoming brands. Daily Paper and Bankhead are def. names to be mentioned more and more here in the Netherlands. My fam and friends doing their thing.

Can you spot the camels? :)

They will showcase their clothing at one of Hollands' biggest fashion fairs called 'Modefabriek'.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Founded in 2010, Daily Paper is an Amsterdam based street-couture label. Our focus lies in the design of contemporary mens fashion apparel that considers quality, culture and fine detailing. We are inspired by our own African heritage and our passion for authentic casual wear. We grab bits and pieces from different African cultures and translate this into present fashion design with a unique rugged character. Our products are made to compliment the consumer's passion for individuality and personal style. Devoted to quality garments, fine detailing and overall great designs we try to stay true to our unique brand aesthetic.

http://dailypaperclothing.com/home

Bankhead is also part of Daily Paper, but they have decided to create a special website for it. Here they will focus more on merchandise for Dutch hip hop artists and specialty stores. They will open up a new website within two weeks.

www.bankhead.nl

Imaara is an upcoming brand created by two Somalis.

Our mission is to promote African-inspired fashion. Imaara offers you a fabulous collection of handmade bags.

Each bag is unique in style and bang on trend, specifically designed for the modern woman!

The collections are based on our love for Africa and appreciation of the hard work that goes into the production of the unique bags. They are a festive, bold and positive celebration of Africa's spirit.

We don't bring ordinary machine-made bags, but rather we create each and every bag individually for you.

Every bag is a unique piece.

http://www.imaara.de

022_115_0.jpg

ausverkauft.jpg

Carafaat   

Markshead, I heard about a Somali guy with a fashion label doing amazing things in Amsterdam.

Geef die jongen een schouderklop. Hij maakt ons trots!

Blessed   

Marksman,

Thanks for sharing. Imaara bags look pretty... I've always felt the bag making industry back home needs reviving.

^ is that so......well the reality on the ground suggests as per my own experiences that bags are a 1st world luxury. so many ppl these days are out of touch with reality. add caver and pink champagne to that list eh...eedo blessed.

Carafaat   

Under the Mag: Somalian designer Omar Munie

http://abinamag.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/738/

In 2008 he was appointed as the best entrepreneur in the Netherlands. He is responsible for designing key hangers and bags for Samsung, of which over 18,000 were sold. None other than 25-year old Somalian clothing designer Omar Munie enjoys a success that every entrepreneur dreams of. This designer is full of energy and motivation. It is time for a talk with Omar Munie.

“I always wanted to create beautiful things”Omar Munie developed a passion for bags at young age. “Bags and accessories have always been my thing. As long as this remains, I don’t want that to change. It is my drive and it makes me happy. “

“The beginning of my career was not easy. Especially as a man of color, you have to work extra hard. On the other hand, I am extremely motivated and I make beautiful products. Of this I am convinced”, he states.

“My store is personal”

The Omar Munie store is located at the Coolsingel in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Also, his handbags are available in 20 outlets in the rest of the country. Omar explains that he doesn’t only want to retain exclusivity in his bags, but also towards the customer. Omar also gives exclusive workshops (named bag & tea) at his working place in The Hague, the Netherlands.

“I am a proud African”

My advice to entrepreneurs-to-be is: never put yourself at second place. Perseverance and vision are important. And never forget where you are from. I am and forever will be a proud African“

me-and-omar2.jpg

Left, a picture of Abina editor, A. Austin with Omar Munie at his working place in The Hague, the Netherlands. Picture was taken after the interview above. Right, a picture of Dutch celebrities posing with Omar Munie bags at a fashion show.

Blessed   

Alpha Blondy;853050 wrote:
^ is that so......well the reality on the ground suggests as per my own experiences that bags are a 1st world luxury. so many ppl these days are out of touch with reality. add caver and pink champagne to that list eh...eedo blessed.

Ehh, Reality maxaad ka taqaan? Unlike you, my experience of home goes beyond the dungeons where you hang out. ;)