Sign in to follow this  
Caano_Geel

How Good Is Your Arabic?

N.O.R.F;850776 wrote:
His experience sounds similar to yours. Moved to the west. New freinds. Questions. Loss of faith etc etc

He did explain why he thought athiests were illogical and irrational yes.

My friends were all Somali muslims during the early parts of my childhood, I've always had too many questions regarding religion according to my parents. In fact, I've had to unsuscribe from most of my friends on Facebook as the constant barrage of hadiths and generic Islamic themed photos of sunsets and cute animals was starting to annoy me. Peer pressure had nothing to do with personal choices and I still talk to many of my Muslim friends.

N.O.R.F   

Questions are questions. At best, you could be a skeptical muslim (still seeking answers) and at worst an agnostic.

N.O.R.F;850788 wrote:
Questions are questions. At best, you could be a skeptical muslim and at worst an agnostic.

I've actually teetered on that edge for a while, many of my main issues stemmed from the bureaucratizing of Islam with the attention given to every minutia of peoples personal lives. This then lead me to be a Quranist, then a skeptic, agnostic and finally an atheist.

N.O.R.F   

Islam is a way of life governing all aspects of one's life. Did you disagree with, for example, the emphasis on cleanliness? Or perhaps the requirement for one to fast to feel hunger (to be humbled)?.

Not sure how one can go from questions on seemingly small matters to the opposite belief.

N.O.R.F;850798 wrote:
Islam is a way of life governing all aspects of one's life. Did you disagree with, for example, the emphasis on cleanliness? Or perhaps the requirement for one to fast to feel hunger (to be humbled)?.

Not sure how one can go from questions on seemingly small matters to the opposite belief.

Isn't that how all things start? Most people don't have epiphanies and make spiritual choices overnight, my journey took me the better part of a decade. In the response to your question on hygiene, do you really need religion to dictate hygiene or can it evolve outside religion like it did in feudal Japan? Islam made major improvements in the lives of its followers, but that was a millennium ago. There are many other matters of hygeine in Islam that could be considered superstitious today (stepping into a bathroom with your left foot, aversion of dogs etc.).

N.O.R.F   

Those were just examples. As Muslims we keep ourselves clean (e.g. when visiting the toilet). What you're calling superstitious has its reasons.

Again, it sounds as though you're problem with Islam relates to the minor matters governing one's personal life (actions, intentions etc) rather than the fundamentals such as belief in God, his books, his angels etc. Its difficult to see how you went 180 degrees (decade or not).

Is there a refresh button in you? Can you re-assess your conclusions?

Narniah;850456 wrote:
Yeah once I get into it I can keep going.

I understand it very well, but I speak broken arabic lol I get by. My cousins are actually half Egyptian, so I learned it from them. MashaAllah though it's great that you can read it.

I'd do anything to be able to speak it more fluently, and at the rate I'm going I think I just might:)

You gotta start somewhere, you have a big advantage since your cousins speak it fluently and you can practice on them, it only needs time. You would think that after having went to Arabic weekend school that I would be able to speak a few words but I don't but then again they didn't speak Arabic in class because there were different kind of nationalities in one class and they didn't all speak Arabic.

There are several Arabic countries and I don't think they all speak the same kind of Arabic they have different dialects so how do you even understand someone who's from Morocco or Dubai. For example in this thread you guys somehow understand each other while your writing different Arabic dialects.

N.O.R.F;850858 wrote:
Those were just examples. As Muslims we keep ourselves clean (e.g. when visiting the toilet). What you're calling superstitious has its reasons.

Again, it sounds as though you're problem with Islam relates to the minor matters governing one's personal life (actions, intentions etc) rather than the fundamentals such as belief in God, his books, his angels etc. Its difficult to see how you went 180 degrees (decade or not).

Is there a refresh button in you? Can you re-assess your conclusions?

As I've said before, the little minor issues allowed me to view the gaping contradictions from a far, some of these issues aren't even specific to Islam. At the end of the day your wasting your breath my friend, your merciful god has illuminated the road to heaven before you and closed it to me :(

(16:39) And if Allah had willed, He could have made you [of] one religion, but He causes to stray whom He wills and guides whom He wills. And you will surely be questioned about what you used to do.

(10:100) And it is not for a soul to believe except by permission of Allah , and He will place defilement upon those who will not use reason.

Narniah   

Bluelicious;850873 wrote:
You gotta start somewhere, you have a big advantage since your cousins speak it fluently and you can practice on them, it only needs time. You would think that after having went to Arabic weekend school that I would be able to speak a few words but I don't but then again they didn't speak Arabic in class because there were different kind of nationalities in one class and they didn't all speak Arabic.

There are several Arabic countries and I don't think they all speak the same kind of Arabic they have different dialects so how do you even understand someone who's from Morocco or Dubai. For example in this thread you guys somehow understand each other while your writing different Arabic dialects.

Your right it needs time. I also think that if you love to do something it makes the journey of learning that much easier. I speak many languages and want to learn even more.

Morrocans speak berber and french. I have many morrocan friends their arabic is hard. I don't really like the saudi arabic/yemeni arabic, or those khaliji ones, I like Eyptian arabic|! It's clearer, easier to learn and more fun.

Narniah;850906 wrote:
Your right it needs time. I also think that if you love to do something it makes the journey of learning that much easier. I speak many languages and want to learn even more.

Morrocans speak berber and french. I have many morrocan friends their arabic is hard. I don't really like the saudi arabic/yemeni arabic, or those khaliji ones, I like Eyptian arabic|! It's clearer, easier to learn and more fun.

True if you have fun doing something you learn more and faster. I have Morrocan friends too, Morrocans speak next to berber and french also standard Morrocan Arabic, berbers and the standard speaking Morrocan Arabics have a hard time understanding each other.

N.O.R.F   

Blackflash;850902 wrote:
As I've said before, the little minor issues allowed me to view the gaping contradictions from a far, some of these issues aren't even specific to Islam. At the end of the day your wasting your breath my friend, your merciful god has illuminated the road to heaven before you and closed it to me
:(

(16:39) And if Allah had willed, He could have made you [of] one religion, but He causes to stray whom He wills and guides whom He wills. And you will surely be questioned about what you used to do.

(10:100) And it is not for a soul to believe except by permission of Allah , and He will place defilement upon those who will not use reason.

What contradictions?

Sounds like you just lost patience with finding the answers.

Blackflash;850902 wrote:
As I've said before, the little minor issues allowed me to view the gaping contradictions from a far, some of these issues aren't even specific to Islam.
At the end of the day your wasting your breath my friend, your merciful god has illuminated the road to heaven before you and closed it to me

You remind us of the KAFIRS of prophet Noah's time when he tried to debate them and convince his massage

[Hud: 32]They said, "O Noah, you have disputed us and been frequent in dispute of us. So bring us what you threaten us, if you should be of the truthful."

Isra   

:( double sad face! virtual hug ya akh in ethnicity. In reality you have blinded yourself from the righteous path. Nontheless all love :)

Blackflash;850902 wrote:
As I've said before, the little minor issues allowed me to view the gaping contradictions from a far, some of these issues aren't even specific to Islam. At the end of the day your wasting your breath my friend, your merciful god has illuminated the road to heaven before you and closed it to me

@Moonlight1 I wouldn't quote from anything pertaining to the story of Noah if I were you, unless you actually believe the story of him safeguarding 9+ million species on his ship.

@NORF, Do you not see a contridiction between the two earlier quoted ayats and these two?

A group He has guided, and a group deserved to be in error; (because) surely they took the Shayâtin (devils) as Auliyâ’ (protectors and helpers) instead of Allâh, and consider that they are guided. (Qur’an 7:30)

But those who reject Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and treat them with arrogance, they are the dwellers of the (Hell) Fire, they will abide therein forever. (Qur’an 7:36)

Strangely enough, I actually like this one:

When they meet those who believe, they say, ‘We believe.’ But then when they go apart with their satans, they say, ‘We are really with you. We were only mocking.’ (Qur’an, 2:14)

It's what finally motivated me to "come out" to my family (I'm talking about atheism here, not homosexuality).