Sign in to follow this  
Siciid1986

Fahima Osman, surgeon and Dove® role model (video)

ElPunto   

Aaliyyah,

Out of proportion - maybe I am. But not like you and Khaatumo topics :P

Che - if ppl keep asking you to explain your position - you have 2 choices - you can try to make them understand or you can not bother with trying to get ppl to see your viewpoint. I usually don't do the latter.

ailamos   

She's certainly a role model and an inspiration for the younger generation. More Somalis in a positive limelight please!

Aaliyyah   

Mr punto, I am glad you agree that you are out of proportion regarding this topic.

By the way, this is the general section. Come to the politics section if you wanna talk about khaatumo

Blessed   

El Punto, is on a jihaad with the media and in general I do agree that Africa is almost always deliberately misrepresented, however I personally don't see the desert as a caricature and a large part of the North is a desert.

Aaliyah, you can disagree but I don't know where you get off telling me to move on / carry on and moderate what we discuss on this forum. I find that rude to be honest.

Aaliyyah   

How about you folks just congratulate the sister and move on. It is not all the time you come across with a success story like this..I for one I am proud of her. Hope we take her as a role model in terms of her success career-wise and share it with our youngsters to show them with ambition you can do anything.

That is exactly what I wrote. I don't see how anyone would be offended by it, but if you are. Then, I do apologize. But, my comment was addressing everyone not just you personally. So don't take it personal.

Samafal   

lol @Elpunto's Jihad. Journalism in the West has come down to what sells rather what the facts are.That's why they would never show Africa and Moslems in good perspective. Also, you got to love how almost all the African success stories have their connections to a Western country or western individual. Its like saying if it wasn't upto me you would be nothing.

Yunis   

@ElPunto - you are fighting a losing battle here,

If this girl obtained her accredited MD thru the Canadian system, she should be congratulated.

The Canadian system is notoriously flawed.

* 16 schools offer faculty of medical school in Canada- compare over 214 Med Schools in the states.

* 6 of those schools are in Ontario.

* Each school accepts 100 students per-year (Ontarians fair the worst, since all other provinces can apply Ontario, but you have to be a two year residence to apply schools in other provinces). So, in Ontario, you will be competing students from all over the country.

The chances vary from school to school and are much better in other provinces. However, in Ontario where most Somalis live, the outlook is dismal; there are students with over 95% scores who can't get in.

Even with high MCAT scores, students go through rigorous approval process and then three levels of soft skills interview process. Including interpersonal / social skills, emotional intelligence...etc. Then, if one is lucky at medical school, more challenges will be on your way on 'training' medical apprenticeship institutions to gain experience.

Medical school being elitist, costly field, Somalis undoubtedly lack the connections, and resources, so most opt out, some head to the Caribbean or stateside.

it’s a system design to keep the numbers scarce and services expensive for the professional elites and their kids.....

Coofle   

Siciid1986;846584 wrote:

Great Job young lady, only a fellow Healthcare professional will appreciate the predicament she went through as a Women, Black , Muslim , poor and immigrant to make it the Doctor Business....

ElPunto   

Yunis;847987 wrote:
@ElPunto - you are fighting a losing battle here,

If this girl obtained her accredited MD thru the Canadian system, she should be congratulated.

The Canadian system is notoriously flawed.

* 16 schools offer faculty of medical school in Canada- compare over 214 Med Schools in the states.

* 6 of those schools are in Ontario.

* Each school accepts 100 students per-year (Ontarians fair the worst, since all other provinces can apply Ontario, but you have to be a two year residence to apply schools in other provinces). So, in Ontario, you will be competing students from all over the country.

The chances vary from school to school and are much better in other provinces. However, in Ontario where most Somalis live, the outlook is dismal; there are students with over 95% scores who can't get in.

Even with high MCAT scores, students go through rigorous approval process and then three levels of soft skills interview process. Including interpersonal / social skills, emotional intelligence...etc. Then, if one is lucky at medical school, more challenges will be on your way on 'training' medical apprenticeship institutions to gain experience.

Medical school being elitist, costly field, Somalis undoubtedly lack the connections, and resources, so most opt out, some head to the Caribbean or stateside.

it’s a system design to keep the numbers scarce and services expensive for the professional elites and their kids.....

I agree with everything you said except the first sentence. Not sure the link between losing the battle and the picture you painted below is though.

Yunis   

I was referring to your grievance with 'desert to doctor' and media's role in chastising immigrants background, while immigrants are happy to play that subliminal subservient underdogs to highlight their success.

Popular culture & media has been playing immigrant’s tales of 'rags to riches stories' for decades to show the superiority of their society. Their most iconic symbol of freedom 'statue of liberty' has words engraved “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free....." blah blah....one wonders aren’t Native Americans part of the poor and tired masses....?.

This has been a dominant cultural selling technique that has been employed for many years and it’s not about to change.

wyre   

Behind Every Successfull person, There Is A Hater Spitting On Her Back :P:D

By The Way Gabadha Weyna Qurux Badan Tahay Waana Qof Adduunka Hadda Joogo Aad Looga Baahanyahay, Allaha Noo Daayo