Sign in to follow this  
Siciid1986

Fahima Osman, surgeon and Dove® role model (video)

Obviously, but that's what plays well to the benefactors, whomever they may be. You'll see it used in almost every narrative that presents Somalis in a positive light.

ElPunto   

Oh come on - would you allow yourself to used as a tool in that manner? You seem to be so ho-hum about it.

I wouldn't personally, no. Funnily enough it was used even before the breakdown of Somalia, e.g. The Model Iman. Even though she was an educated girl from a well off family, she was represented as a poor desert girl by the media throughout her early career. I suppose I'm 'ho-hum' about it because it's one of the many things I let go in exchange for less grey hairs. :D

Blessed   

ElPunto;847502 wrote:
Damn this shit about 'from desert to doctor' - how is it intelligent people allow their
entire
country and background to be defined as 'desert'. Caku qashinkaan.

Actually, that reference was made to her fathers background before he moved to AD. Not an entire country. That is true for many Somaalis and I don't know when being of nomadic bakground became wax laga khashaafo,

ElPunto   

*Blessed;847666 wrote:
Actually, that reference was made to her fathers background before he moved to AD. Not an entire country. That is true for many Somaalis and I don't know when being of nomadic bakground became wax laga khashaafo,

So if her father was from the 'desert' and not her why would it be included in her promo piece as if to say she went from the desert to doctor? It's not about being ashamed of being a nomad - though I would have less issues with from nomad to ... if in fact the actual person was a nomad and not putting xawaash in their story to appeal/sell to westerners. To reduce African countries and peoples to either jungle/desert etc is very common and this has been repeatedly used/allowed by Somalis of accomplishment particularly the ladies. It is inaccurate and denigrating.

Additionally - this lady's face seemed familiar to me - it was her who claimed or sanctioned the claim of 'Fahima Osman became the first Canadian-trained MD of the country's largest African community'. http://somalilandtimes.net/2003/122/12204.shtml

I highly doubt that claim - and I would love to know how this was established though I can't disprove it myself. This sort of personal self-aggrandizement to garner media attention comes only through the implicit denigration of the society you are from - before me they didn't have this etc. Waxaan wa laga ficanyahay.

Blessed   

I agree there is a lot of xawaash in her story, for instance in this video her dad moved to the UAE but in that article she was a refugee of war. Hmm.

However, coming back to my original comment, I personally don't see how and why the desert label annoys you, her fathers is part of her story and he hails from a the Somali desert but also AD where he moved to is always referred to as a desert metropolis. It is what it is.

Aaliyyah   

^ lol@ there is a lot of xawaash in her story..

How about you folks just congratulate the sister and move on. It is not all the time you come across with a success story like this..I for one I am proud of her. Hope we take her as a role model in terms of her success career-wise and share it with our youngsters to show them with ambition you can do anything.

ElPunto   

^It's a caricature that's why. Like the fat lipped black eating watermelons - we have the skinny wind whipped desert nomads of Somalia and if ladies brutally infibulated etc.

AD is located in a desert but I haven't seen or heard anyone say just desert to refer to it - more along the lines of oil soaked emirate etc. Besides Somalia/Somaliland is not really a desert - arid/semi arid etc - but you can't raise 20 million head of livestock in a desert and export to the likes of AD and Saudi Arabia etc.

====

Sorry aaliyyaa - her ambition, accomplishments are worthy of congratulation and emulation - the way she presented her story to the media is totally without merit.

Blessed   

She's done good, no doubt or discussion it. However, she's not here to read my congrats, so I would rather have a conversation with Elpunto who is present, which is the purpose of this forum, is that alright with you Aaliyah?

Aaliyyah   

Sorry aaliyyaa - her ambition, accomplishments are worthy of congratulation and emulation - the way she presented her story to the media is totally without merit.

As long as you see her accomplishments as worthy of emulation then we are the same page. And, personally I could careless how she presented herself in the media. But, since that is bothering you, continue your conversation...

ElPunto   

Aaliyyah;847919 wrote:
As long as you see her accomplishments as worthy of emulation then we are the same page. And, personally I could careless how she presented herself in the media. But, since that is bothering you, continue your conversation...

Really - if she said I come from a backward community that oppresses women and forces hijab on them and child marriage etc. (a la Ayan Ali Hirsi) At some level you are gonna care how she presents herself in relation to her community which is what I was discussing with Blessed about.

Aaliyyah   

^ As far as I know Fahima did not say Somali women were oppressed or anything like that (of course then I wouldn't agree with that)..Hence, why I think you are taking this whole thing a little out of proportion. But, hey each on his own you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am entitled to mine.