Sign in to follow this  
Narniah

The Awkward moment when...

Narniah sgatje you are not the only one I find that awkward too. Oh lord the 21 questions don't get me started on that. I don't like strangers or people who I don't like holding a questionaire with me. I'm a private person so I don't like to broadcast about my personal life to a person if they are not my family or a good close friend. I believe not everyone needs to know alot about you especially if it's someone you see one time.

Wadani   

Aaliyah i hear wat ur saying. I live in a neighourhood full of Somalis and when women come over to chat with my mom they don't even knock. Juq uun bay iska soo idhaahdaan, in la hurdo iyo in la qaawanyahay iyaga shaqadooda maaha. Kaaga sii darane, markay guriga hoostiisa cid ka waayaan ayay samada ka qayliyaan "NAA HEBLAAYOOY!!." Allah maxaa hurdo macaan layiga kiciyay, anna maxaan habro habaaray lol.

Aaliyyah   

^ LOL @maxa habro habaaray. Eedoyinkaa weeye waxba ha habaarin. Waa somaali dhaqan. Ilaahay dhaqankaas xun hanaga badalo waa laga fiicanyahay..and just an advice always keep your front door locked..that should give you sometime when they knock lol

wyre   

Wadani;828994 wrote:
Aaliyah i hear wat ur saying. I live in a neighourhood full of Somalis and when women come over to chat with my mom they don't even knock. Juq uun bay iska soo idhaahdaan, in la hurdo iyo in la qaawanyahay iyaga shaqadooda maaha. Kaaga sii darane, markay guriga hoostiisa cid ka waayaan ayay samada ka qayliyaan "NAA HEBLAAYOOY!!." Allah maxaa hurdo macaan layiga kiciyay, anna maxaan habro habaaray lol.

Same here, It bothered me, when women (Wadaaddo Indha shareeran) used to come home, Friends of my habaryar, Sometimes they come home while I am away, then they used to run like a gazelle who have seen Libaax :D And I didn't like that:(, then, waxaan caadeystay Inaan gurigeenna albaabka u gargaraaco whenever I come back from outside

Dhaqan xun ma arki. Soomalida qurbaha ku raagtay ama ku kortay dhaqamadeena suuban la badalo rabo. Soomaali 'stranger' iyo waxaas nagama dhaxeyso. Hadduu qofka Soomaali yahay, isla markii walaaltinimo dareemaa, su'aalo caadi ahna wuu ku weydiinaa. If one finds that 'personal,' then qofkaas iyadaa u baahan dhaqanka Soomaalida inay soo barato.

Waxaaba la ilooway ereyadii quruxda badnaa afkeena ku jiray, sida martisoor iyo martiqaad. Martisoor waxaa loola jeedaa waxaa lasoo dhaweyn jiray Soomaali 'total stranger' ah (according to your own definition) oo geeddi socod ahaa ama dhul mar ahaa. Habeenba reer 'strangers' ah ayuu la hoyan jiray, xoolana u qail jireen, qolka ugu fiican siin jireen suu ugu neefsado. Waa qof 'stranger' ah waxa saan loo sameynaayo.

Nothing beats Soomaali dhaqan soo jireenka ahaa. Barbaar qurbo ku raagtay ma badali karaan that.

Aaliyyah   

^somalidi hore markay nin gurigiisa kasoo baxay oo tuulo kale u socda markay adhigooda wax uga qalayeen taasi waa caadi. Shekadaas yaaba diidayey. Waxa laga hadlaya hada dad isku magaalo joogtiin oo ku shegeen in ay kusoo boqanayaan oo gurigaga iskasoo imanaya anytime...wadanin posterka la baxay shekadiisa kaba sii darneed oo xitaa ay gurigiisa garaceen oo dalaq iskasoo odhanayaan lol taasi waa wax ila wacneen...in qofka martida kuso waco waa wax wanagsan oo aad kadibna sharaftid oo wanaajisid. Macnuhuna maba aha qofkaas waa stranger laakin waxa dhici karta waqtigaa ee imanayan in aad busy tahay oo waxkale qabsanaysid

salaam

My awkard situation is when run into some lady that i dont recall her no more.Just about couple of hrs ago, i ran into this xalimoo at this grocery store! i havent seen her for like 10 yrs Shes like hi how u doing...long time no see!! i am like hmmm scratching my head to trying to figure who the hell is this... is it gonna be that dreadful time....where she gonna tell me about a mysterious babe that she hid from me!!

looks like we went out one nite, sometime around 2006

She told me...its me. My brain is like who the hell is this elephant in dress!!...I go yaa...how u doing, oh by the way, u looks young n hot..woooow. She giggles n gives me a hug! Well, to be polite, i got the # and told her for sure that i am holla at her. I doubt it since she told that shes married to african american.

just 2 much drama there to handle.

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;829188 wrote:
Dhaqan xun ma arki. Soomalida qurbaha ku raagtay ama ku kortay dhaqamadeena suuban la badalo rabo. Soomaali 'stranger' iyo waxaas nagama dhaxeyso. Hadduu qofka Soomaali yahay, isla markii walaaltinimo dareemaa, su'aalo caadi ahna wuu ku weydiinaa. If one finds that 'personal,' then qofkaas iyadaa u baahan dhaqanka Soomaalida inay soo barato.

Lool you were talking about me, atleast you could quote me or mention my name I don't bite. Well me and you are from different times, where as you have grown up there and I have never seen that place. To be honest I don't like that aspect of the Somali culture that's just my opinion.

Narniah   

My parents always have guests we are dad waji furan minkena minkado waye so don't get this idea from me that I'm uptight and hate guests lol. Lakeen my parents have guests all the time (literally), whether it's close friends or just somali's in our community. I'm a shy person by nature, and I don't know how to talk to more than one person at a time, I get quiet and feel awkward. lol I usually just listen and smile and try to think of ways to get out. Funny thing is I'm just as shy of women as I am of men.

Last week this family from a neighboring country moved back here and they had some housing issues my mom said wa dad somali ah, they all stayed in our place and we had to leave our beds for them and sleep on mattress on the floor. I know this is how my mom is she says things that MMA mentioned somaliya qofwalbo so daweyn jirnay, dadka lama dibsado and all that. So I'm use to it by now but I have to learn to be a little more open to guests so they don't think I'm not welcoming them properly.

Aaliyah you mentioned how you have to bring the tea mashaALlah, well I make the tea for my mom sometimes but she carries it in or my sisters. Unless I really have to or else I make excuses.

Blue you got my point, we got a lot in common.=)

That's right we are private persons who value their privacy. Being shy is normal when you are young you will grow out of it as you get older it's not something you need to worry about. We have all been shy at one point of our lives whether it was in our childhood adolescence or in our adult life. The best thing to do is start with small talk and things will move on by itself from there on. I was shy until up to 15 it was more of a normal shyness not painfully shy and right now that i'm older i'm a communication expert. Some people find it hard to believe if I tell them so you see it's possible and I have seen other people too it just needs time. One person might get over it quicker then another and for another it may take a while but at the end you reach the same goal but at different pace.

Chimera   

I think it depends on the type of martii that knocked on the door, I used to like the male martii, because they were very paternal and kind, but the female martii are very passive-aggressive and devious. They would compliment me and teasingly ask my mom if I was single(for their daughters), but then when I said a few words in Af-jiini they declared war on me. Why aren't you speaking Somali? Why is your hair so curly? Why do you wear these clothes? Why do you breath air?

Now I think about it I used to HATE female martii because from our livingroom you could see the hall-way to the front door as well as the kitchen so I was stuck in my room at certain times without food and without a way to escape the house.

Aaliyyah   

Narniah, mashallah sweetie your family is sweet. Yeah most somalis are like that..and that's a good aspect of the somali culture being hospitable to people who need your help..but sometimes somalis over do it..as for you being shy from women as much as you are shy from men..I think it has a lot to do with what MMA said about somali people feeling comfortable with you most of time to ask whatever they want..and it isnt that you are shy..you just want that personal space..it is like i dont know you that much for you to ask all those questions lol..and the part where they start with habo and then go on with asking whatever ..it is like I just met you habo maxa suaalahan oo dhan yihiin :P

Rudy looooooooooool@My brain is like who the hell is this elephant in dress!!..oh my god I can't breath. miskiinta danbi badan baad ka gashay.