Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Mowlid Macaane Passed Away

Alloow u naxariiso Faysal Xaaji & Mowliid Macaabe labadaba. Labadaba waan aqaanay personally. I met with Mowlliid Macaane few times and each time what pleasure to have chatted and laughed with him. Great loss!

Mowlid Macaane, Faysal Haji Elmi, Said Mugambe, Mohamed I.Yabarow(Wiish) : RIP

mowliid_Faysal_Mugaabo_Wiish.jpg

From left: Mowlid Macaane, Faysal Haji Elmi, Said Mugambe, Mohamed I.Yabarow(Wiish)

By Abdurahman Hosh Jibril

Sunday, April 08, 2012

It is with a sense of sadness and rage that I write this piece. It is sad and outrageous that we have lost Mowlid Macaane, MP, Faysal Haji Elmi, Said Mugambe, Mohamed I.Yabarow(Wiish), dedicated men of service and peace to the actions of members of a murderous homegrown, foreign inspired and foreign imposed Al-qaida outfit, that now must be understood clearly seeks a macabre thrill in the snuffing out of innocent lives. It is also tragic that the Alshabab, an out and out national and international outlaw group is still coating its rhetoric in Islamic theological justifications when all its actions are anti-life, anti-peace and hence anti-Islam. The latter could only happen because we failed to brand it as an international criminal anarchist organization, no different if not worse than the Mafia, international drug cartels or pirates who are all enemies of humanity.

I had met MP Mowliid Macaane as soon as I joined the TFG last July. Abukar Osman Balle, former chief of staff to PM Farmajo informed me that like him and I, Mowlid was also from Jowhar, a fact that piqued my interest. We met a few times and on those rare occasions we met in Mogadishu, he had one topic that he wanted to register in my mind: that the 4.5 formula is inherently unfair and also racist. Mowlid belonged to the Jareer (Bantu) clan that straddle along the banks of the two rivers, Shabelle and Juba; yet the MP always referred to his clan as Jareer Weyne (Greater Jareer clan) to emphasize the fact that his clan was not actually a minority, numerically speaking, and the fact that the status quo with respect to the place of his community in Somali society was no longer tenable and some change needed to be made for the better. He did have a point. The Jareer community has had its full share of civil strife and violence within the calumny that befell the Somali public in the last 20 years; but it also bore the brunt of the civil war, more than any other group, as unarmed group that has historically been discriminated and denigrated as less than second class citizens. Yet on the 4.5 power sharing formula, the Jareer Weyne and all the other constituent communities within the so-called point-five clan or "other", the numbers game does not add up. In the absence of any census clearly mapping out clan demography, a good guestimate would be that the cumulative population of the constituent communities within the point-five clan may well be bigger than the main charter clans, individually or separately taken. He also had a knack for cleverly delivering his political messages with a nod to dramaturgy. I was told that he once stood up in parliament and asked the rhetorical question as to whether people see in him standing as a full man or a half a man or point five man!. True to his human rights defender form: RIP

Faysal Haji Elmi, may Allah bless his soul, despite our age difference, was a close friend of mine. I had met him in June 2011 at the home of MP, Khadija Mohamed Dirie, another Jowhar hometown buddy and a fierce gender equity activist. Almost instantly we connected and it turned out I already knew many of his siblings, such as Asha, Amina and Faahim. After I joined the TFG, Faysal began work at the office of the PM Abdiwali as a community outreach director but he also closely worked with me and my Ministry because he cared about reconciliation and communal understanding. He spoke, breathed and dreamt about peace and he had such exuberance for life and unlimited capacity for accommodating people and building bridges. Moreover, Faysal had friends all over and made new friends by the day and if you knew him you would, as I have, become part of a vast network of great people from all clans and communities. When I heard the news last night, I literally cried and then reflected on why we are killing off our best, our most dedicated people to the cause of life and peace; why Faysal who preached peace.RIP

Of the remaining martyrs Said Mungambe and Wiish, I had only known Said Mungambe. Yet both of them were sports icons who also contributed to sports development in the service of peace during the civil war. If you were connected and had your ears close to the ground, you would realize that the deceased pair organized one sports event or tournament, training etc after another and together they were fixtures in a field that has become an orphan as a result of the statelessness and lack of governance structures during the civil war. The two of them fit the bill of the Somali sports community where you will find the greatest pool of peace mongers, more than any other segment in our community.

I have come to know Said Mungambe through his brother Ali Biit, a friend since my teen years. I last ran into him at a restaurant in Mogadishu about three weeks ago and after we exchanged pleasantries and greetings, Mungambe and I began to talk about an issue we discussed before: peace themed sports tournaments throughout Somalia, and then we parted and promised to reconnect. I hope others within the sports community would take up on that promise and hope. RIP

As I attended the funeral of Mowlid and Faysal today, I made a mental note of a surge of hope because I could tell among the people attending the funeral a sense of outrage and disgust with the perpetrators of these heinous crimes. I also could not help but remember Redemption Songs: "How long Shall they Kill Our Prophets................."

I conclude by extending my heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of the deceased martyrs and pray that Allah bestow them with patience and forbearance. Amen!

Abdirahman Hosh Jibril is the Somali Minister of Constitution and Reconciliation. Mr. Hosh can be reached at abdihosh1@gmail.com

Carafaat   

Somalia: Mowlid Ma’ane’ enduring political thought

Mowlid Ma’ane, the late Somali MP who was buried in Nairobi yesterday, had been brought to Kenya for treatment after the suicide bombing that cost the lives of many people and maimed more than ten people who were at Mogadishu’s National Theatre for a ceremony marking the first anniversary of Somalia’s National Television last week. The late Mowlid Ma’ane was a member of Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government. He was a tireless campaigner against the 4.5 power-sharing mechanism that relegated his and other clans , wrongly labelled minorities (the others) , to a 0.50 status, implying that clans lumped together into the 0.50 do not count as much as the other major four clans ( ***, ******, ***** and Digil & Mirifle). As the the Somali government’s Minister of Constitution and Reconciliation, Abdirahman Hosh Jibril wrote in an eulogy : ” I was told that he [Mowlid Ma'ane] once stood up in parliament and asked the rhetorical question as to whether people see in him standing as a full man or a half a man or point five man!. True to his human rights defender form.”

What makes Mowlid Ma’ane stand out from other Members of Parliament was not only his past police and civil service experience, his past foot-ball refereeing experience ( he officiated many football matches of Somalia’s pre-war General Da’ud tournaments) , but also his bravery to stand up to the promoters of the 4.5 power-sharing mechanism. The late Ma’ane belonged to the major Jareer Weyne clan in southern Somalia that was marginalised by militias linked with armed clans.

When Siyad Barre’s military dictatorship was overthrown in 1991, belonging to a an armed clan with a a warlord became the means to achieve clan political visibility. Jareer Weyne and other many southern clans did not have armed militias and did not have a role in subsequent clan warfare and destruction of public properties and looting of private properties. Mowlid Ma’ane articulated the message that the 4.5 system was an award for clans with armed militias; it was hatched in Arta reconciliation conference in Djibouti in 2000.

It will be a fitting remembrance of his commitment to positive political action to work on collecting his statements, speeches and ideas for discussion and continuation of his legacy.We can learn a lot from his eloquence, his political finesse to interact with all MPs from different clans who regarded him as a voice for the clans labelled minorities .

Mowlid Ma’ane was born in Mahaddaay district of Middle Shabelle region in 1944. He was an example of the diversity and tolerance on which southern Somalia can draw to pull itself out of prolonged wars.

Liban Ahmad

Mario B   

Carafaat;817542 wrote:
Allah h u naxariisto, he was so right. Inshallah we will destroy this unjust and unhumane 4.5 system.

Agreed and AUN to all Somali heroes whose lives were taken unjustly.

Xarakada Alshabaab oo maanta dhacdo foolxumo badan ka geysatay Magaaladda Jowhar

Xarakada Alshabaab oo lagu eedeeyo mid u adeegta danaha rag shisheeye, una tureyn shacabka Somaliyeed ee Muslimiinta ah, ayaa waxay maanta dhacdo aan wanaagsaneyn ay ka geysatay Magaaladda Jowhar ee Xaruunta Gobolka Shabeellaha Dhexe.

Xildhibaan Mowliid Macaani Maxamuud oo dhawaan u geeriyooday dhaawac ka soo gaaray weerarkii ismiidaaminta ahaa ee ay Alshabaabku sheegteen ee lagu ruxay Golaha Murtida iyo Madadaalada “National Theatre”, ayaa waxay maanta Al Shabaab xoog kula wareegtay hoygii uu ku lahaa Magaaladda Jowhar.

Dagaalyahano taabacsan Xarakada Alshabaab ayaa waxay maanta gaareyn hoygii Xildhibaan Mowliid Macaani ee Magaaladda Jowhar, waxayna dibadda uga saareyn dhamaan eheladii marxuumka ee ku sugnaa, isla markaana waxay dibadda u daadiyeen dhamaanba wixii allaaba ahaa ee gurigaasi yaallay.

Xilli qoyska Xildhibaanka Mowliid Macaani ay la murugeysan yihiin geeridii naxdinta laheyd ee asiibtay, ayay Xarakada Alshabaab ugu dartay inay xoog uga saarto hoygii uu uga tagay, isla-markaana waxaa la sheegay inaysan heysan meel kaloo ay deggaan.

Shacabka ku dhaqan magaaladda Jowhar ayaa waxay xaqiijiyeen in Xarakada Alshabaab ay maanta xoog kula wareegtay hoygii uu Magaaladda Jowhar uu ku lahaa Allaha u naxariistee Mowliid Macaani Maxamuud, oo ka mid ahaa raggii ugu miisaanka cuslaa ee Xildhibaanada Baarlamaanka Kmg ah ee Somaliya.

Xarakada Alshabaab ayaa waxay horey ula wareegtay hoygaan, hase yeeshee waxay dib u soo celisay xilli uu noollaa Xildhibaan Mowliid Macaani, waxaase maanta laga war hellay inay markale la-wareegeen hoygaasi, xilli uu ifka ka tagay Mowliid Macaani.

Xarakada Alshabaab ayaa waxaa la-tilmaamaa inaysan u naxariisan shacabka Soomaaliyeed ee Muslimiinta ah, iyadoo markaasi ku doodeysa inay difaaceyso diinta, dalka iyo dadka Soomaaliyeed, oo ay ku andacooto in lagu soo duullay.

Xigasho