Sign in to follow this  
burahadeer

Indian somali words.

There is a large somali community in Heyderabad in Anderapardesh in Indian. I met some of these soldiers that left somalia in the early 19th century. I met one of the old oj's there. All he remember about somali lingo was ku labo sadhex!!. Some how they all keep they family last name as somali but they still rmember what tribe they from!! looooool....

They were from sl & pl area....& just imagine them running into rudy who get no clue of these tribe names! they will just look at me....I told them i know tribes from xamar but not from other places! They were nice pple N gave vip treatment.

this guy who went to indonesia told same thing,he met a family who been there atleast 100yrs.BTW what is their # those in india...I mean many?

there are millions who assimilated into asia & europe for couple 100yrs.

dont exactly...but they have a city there!! + i saw alot of xaliimos who married Indias, use to work in other countries n retired there. Some converted to christanity, hindusom etc. But it was large community. Then, when i came to la, i met this dude who was half somali half Combodian. His father was in the British Army in the first world war.

My own family is missing 2 grandfather siblings that go lost while working as seamen. another one was found in Sudan with large family and another in Syria..The syrians one's daughter contacted my family in the 80's.

rudy-Diiriye;814913 wrote:

My own family is missing 2 grandfather siblings that go lost while working as seamen. another one was found in Sudan with large family and another in Syria..The syrians one's daughter contacted my family in the 80's.

think that's very common among somalis specially in north/pl. Heard Like in oman atleast 40% of population are of somali decent

RaMpAgE   

Typical somali, always suggestion things with out prove. Theirs nothing to suggest that the words "garee" or "wale" have any indian origin, they could sound the same, however doesn't mean that they are the same word. However their is no denying that their are words in the Somali language that have Indian origin, such as Roodi etc.

the none arabic somali words which we share with Indians .

Gaari

Baraf

Biyo

Rooti

Barasaab (meaning governor in somali)- comes from the word -baraa saab -in hindi it means' Big Boss.

Sensei   

Raamsade;814875 wrote:

I think Shaati and surwaal are also Indian.

LOL....naga daa dee, Raamsade.

Che & Gheele T. will be useful here, they seem to speak the language or waaba Indians.

BOB   

I have 17 uncles and 12 of them married non-Somalis! I have half Argentinean cousins, half Algerian Berber cousins, half Greek cousins, half Italian cousins, half Spanish cousins, half Moroccan cousins, half French cousins, half Tunisian cousins, half Amharic cousins, half Malaysian cousins, half Dutch cousins, half Jordanian cousins. ;)

I’ve met all but the Malaysian ones and they all speak far better Somali than many in here and they’ve never been anywhere near Somalia.

The men in my family married outsiders but somehow all the women married Somalis including Yasir whose grandfather came from Yemen and married a Somali lady from Kismayo which makes Yasir 25% Somali but 100% from Kismayo.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Blessed   

burahadeer;814673 wrote:
The word "garee" is indian but when somalis use it only comes with english words:

drive garee

run garee

cook garee

draw garee

mix garee

use garee

Seriously? Waxaan Af Somaali maahee, yaa sidaas u hadla?

RaMpAgE;814938 wrote:
Typical somali, always suggestion things with out prove. Theirs nothing to suggest that the words "garee" or "wale" have any indian origin, they could sound the same, however doesn't mean that they are the same word. However their is no denying that their are words in the Somali language that have Indian origin, such as Roodi etc.

garee & wale are both indian...try to find out.....obviously a lot us don't know origins of many words.

Fazliyah   

I don't remember hearing the word "Garee" before 90's,maybe waa erayada cusub oo waayahaan danbe afka kusoo saaiday specially dadka mareykanka kunool waan arkay dad badan oo dhaha tusaale ahaan baabuurka drive gareey or heblo cumputerkey use gareyneysaa laakiin ereyga garee kaligiis macnihiisa ma fahmin siduu urdu ama soomaali u yahay.

^^ garee is been in use for for a long time,I see older people say when I was young.As for the meaning i'm not sure in indian but strangely for somalis it could only be used with english words.More or less it seems to me like "it".

drive garee= drive it.

waan drive gareeyay= I drove it.

waan drive gareeynayaa=I'm gona drive it.

indian words are countable in somali though probably less than 30 or so.