Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

A Muslim figure suggests women to stop wearing hijab

NIN_NOOL   

It is totaly wrong and irresponsible for for any 1 including dr badawi to tell our sisters to take of there hijab for whatever reason.

The logic used here if I understand corectly is that becouse of the threat we as muslims face,we have to blend in and not stand out, in another words when in rome do as the romans do, hence our sisters should take of the hijab.

How far are we willing to take this blending in ?

If the curent situation persists or even gets worst, then will we expect our sisters to wear mini skirts becouse it will help them blend in even more?

Where do we draw the line?

If the situation was such that it was a mater of life and death , then I could understand were dr badawi was coming from , and it makes perfect sense that one should do what ever it takes to protect there life.

It is very dangerous out there specialy for the sisters but we should not throw things out of proportion.

This is a dangerous downhill slope and we should not be entertaining these kinds ideas, and most importantly we should not have to compramise on our deen .

Modesty   

Salaamu Alaykum,

I certainly disagree with Dr.Badawi. I don't think we should remove our hijabs for the kuffar, that means they have won. They want to destroy Islam, and the most visible thing is the hijab. We have to be strong in our religion,we must obey the laws of Allah. I don't fear no one but Allah, and during these times when the muslim ummah is going through hardships and trial, the only thing we can do is remain steadfast in Islam.

Warrior of Light, I am so glad you shared that story. Ever since I started wearing hijab, I've been facing so many trials. I don't even look at them anymore, I've received dirty looks, sometimes others just say "hi" to me (which is ok, but kinda creepy,lol), but you know what, ever since I've been wearing my hijab I've developed so much confidence and strength, and I feel as though nothing but Allah can stop me in whatever I decide to do in my life. I always remember life is a test, and if I want Jannat Firdaws, I'm going to have to face all my tests and win, Insha'Allah. Brothers and Sisters, stay strong in Islam, sisters wear your hijab, pray 5 times a day. Have trust in Allah, and Allah will always protect you. With the protection of Allah, nothing can haraam you. Always know Allah is there with you, Allah knows what is in your heart, and Allah loves those who are obiedient and greatful to him. Allah bless us all...ameen.

bismillaah was salaatuh was salaam 'ala rasolillaah wa ba'd

an individual has privately advised me and brought something to my attention in my post earlier. what i wrote in regards to the plots of the kuffar to turn us from our deen and the ayah i quoted, was a follow up of the posts that were just before mine. i was refering to the kufaar, the disbelievers, and NOT Dr.badawee. i was not implying that he is a kaafir or hypocrite nor was i was categorising him under those banners. all i know of dr. b. is the advice.

i guess the topic switched to 'why dr. badawee's advice should be disregarded and how we are to handle our eemaan in light of the harassments'.

i guess my following post brought about the confusion, so i'll edit that last bit. May Allaah forgive me for any wrong. ameen.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Modesty:

Brothers and Sisters, stay strong in Islam, sisters wear your hijab, pray 5 times a day. Have trust in Allah, and Allah will always protect you. With the protection of Allah, nothing can haraam you. Always know Allah is there with you, Allah knows what is in your heart, and Allah loves those who are obiedient and greatful to him. Allah bless us all...ameen.

I second the above quote. thumbs_up.gif

Jacpher   

I still don't know where the Sheikh got this from:

“He said the Koran justified abandoning the hijab, saying it should help Muslim women be "identified and not molested", but if it led to harassment the ruling was it should not be worn"

Does anyone know what part of the Qur'an he's refering to? The Somali phrase "La jiifiyaa banaan" come to my mind!

bilan   

ducaqabe if you read surat al-ahzab,the verse that requires women to wear hijab Allah(scw)gave the reason why women should wear hijab is that so non-muslims and hypocrites will know that they are muslim so they would not harras them. the sheikh did not twist the words.

its amazing how people attack this sheikh accusing all the sorts of things, even someone went as far as saying he does not have a faith, i wonder how the know that, did they opened his heart etc. i for one agree with the sheikh if someone is afraid for their lives then its is irresponsible to be asked that person to risk their lives, so he makes a lot sense to me.

Haddad   

Originally posted by bilan:

i for one agree with the sheikh if someone is afraid for their lives then its is irresponsible to be asked that person to risk their lives, so he makes a lot sense to me.

So, instead of someone opting to migrate to non-hostile grounds, that someone should rather abandon hijab? It would not make any difference if the someone abandons hijab. Afterall, the someone is a sitting duck.

Jacpher   

I've not attacked the Shiek nor have I said he twisted the words but what I don't get is where does the Qur'an justify abondening the Hijab. All I'm trying to do is understand his reference to Quran/Hadith ruling. I see his reasoning but I don't see the evidence from the sunnah. The surah/ayah you mentioned does not indicated the justification for removing the Hijab. I doubt if the Sheikh is using 'DARUURA' necessity. May be he is. There’re Muslims out there who take mortgage with Riba under the terms of necessity. May Allah guide us & them.

Does the Sheikh have an authentic proof from the Sunnah or is this another progressive Muslim leader that bends the Sharia for convenience? In Islam, forbidden things may be permitted in necessity cases, but it has to be thoroughly looked & evaluated.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Ducaqabe:

Does the Sheikh have an authentic proof from the Sunnah or is this another progressive Muslim leader that bends the Sharia for convenience?

You have to understand Dr Badawi is a very moderate sheikh.

Serious uncalled for accusations, woeful judgement, soap-box opportunism, gung-ho attitude and fatalism all under an incomplete title. Well done, folks. And you know who you are.

When our dear Prophet(saw) delivered his last sermon he said he left behind his Sunnah and the Quran for our guidance. He also advised us to reason well.

Scholars do not have a monopoly over reasoning but I am not surprised they keep having to issue fatwas. A lot of people have such poor reasoning the scholars have to spell certain things out. And yet their comments get taken out of context and they have their own faith called into question. Perhaps not enough emphasis is given to encouraging individual reasoning capabilities. It shows!!! How embarassing and painful to read what some of you have written.

Exaggerated scenario: u're a woman in a hijab walking down a quiet street when you are approached by a skin head wielding a knife who demands that u take off yr hijab. Useful though it might be, you will not have time to either:

A. Call your fave sheik

B. Ask the Ummah

C. Ask skin head to take away wrong response

You use your head. You alone. Sure your trust is in Allah. Remember the Prohphet(saw) said tie your camel, then put your trust in Allah. It's up to you what you do when faced with abuse or you fear for your life. Whatever you do you you won't be able to pin it on anyone but yourself. Take responsibilty for your individual actions and use you heads. Getting yourself killed by your fatalistic attitude does not equate with dying for Islam. Don't fool yourselves. And for the love of God, reason and reason well.

I'm pretty sure I've read (eitehr an ayaat or a hadith) that says that you can deny your identity when your life is threatened.

And anyway, how bad is the racial targetting in the UK?

Blessed   

In my opinion though way of mark Dr Badawi has good intent. Scholars, even the greats like Bin Baz have made mistakes in their fatwas. It’s not for us to question their faith or insult them. Take it or leave it, there’s no need to insult the man and question his faith.

As far as removing hijaab, mine is staying put. We shouldn’t let racists get away with their misdemeanour and we shouldn’t let them win. Imagine a black leader telling black people to stay at home following the racist killing of Anthony in Liverpool? or Would we stop praying at masjids due to the level of of attacks on some masjids. I’ve read that even Sikhs and other non-Muslim Asians have been targeted.

The problem isn’t the hijaab, it’s ****** racists who have nothing better to do with their time. So, this fatwa is silly! The removal of hijaab doesn't resolve anything. It doesn't educate or balance things out as they should be.

Instead, the Muslim community should demand that the police and the government do their utmost to ensure the safety of Muslims.

The trouble with Dr Badawis line of thinking (there are many who share this view) is that he very readily accepts the notion that Muslims don't belong to Britain and that we should shoulder all efforts in improving community relations. Even, if it means compromising our faith.

The July the 7th and 21st may have been acts committed by a small group of wayward Muslims but the wider community shouldn’t be blamed or victimised for it, plain and simple. And...we

certainly have NOTHING to apologies for. The bombers attacked us too.

As for the media…I hate to spoil it for ya’ll. But the majority has actually been supportive of Muslim women and disagree with Dr Badawi. So much for the evil gaal theorem :D

QUOTE:

"The problem isn’t the hijaab, it’s ****** racists who have nothing better to do with their time."

this is true, and every race/culture/nationality gets a turn. when the sars disease hit toronto, people were running away from chinese folks, if one passed by them on the bus they would cover their mouth and faces. no body wanted to to be asian during those days.

it's the racist ignorant people that are brainwashed by the news that do most of the harassment. after 9/11, temples were vandalised.

anyway, somethings are excusable in a life and death situation. but we dont live under a dictatorship rule, we have rights and protection. sept.11 was far worse the 7/7, how did the muslims cope then? if they feared for their life and took off the hijab or cut the beard, did they return to it yet? or are they still securing their lives?

initially putting on the hijab for most of us was a struggle within our ownselves, because we had to leave off a different lifestyle. and as you increase in emaan then you feel you want to do more. for example you may begin with just covering the hair but wearing your old clothes. as you increase in emaan, you begin to abandon the tight clothes and replace it with baggier clothes. then you abandon that and wear skirts only, then you move on to abayah's and jilbaabs only, and then if Allaah makes it easy for you, you may even be strong enough to wear niqab. the more you learn about Allaah the more you want to do better, because your emaan increases. so you move forward, and this is easy for whomever Allaah makes it easy for. once you go backwards, eg from jilbaab only, back to skirts or pants. then you're weakening in emaan, because it was due to an increase in emaan that allowed you to take on that step in the first place.

if you remove the hijab to save yourself, you would also have to change your dress right.

but what if while you are in this state your heart desires the attention you're getting due your beauty being exposed, and as a result you start doing your hair, or begin wearing make-up and keeping up with trends. and the heart desires these things, and its not easy coping with that. so when the time comes for you to wear the hijab again, because now its safe (allahu 'alam when that will be), how will you gain the strength to wear hijab again?

and i dont know about you guys but my hijab has helped me in leaving those things and people i used to enjoy being with. and this saved me, because in those environmnets we never remembered Allaah. but without the hijab its a lot easier for one to do those things the hijab used to help them avoid.

i wish dr. badawee would instead advise the sisters with patience with the trials and steadfastness in obeying Allaah. and Allaah will remove the distress. but for those sisters who are already looking for an excuse to take off the hijab (due to shaytaan's whispers), may use this advice to justify their desires.

May Allaah keep us firm in the trials He puts us in.

My apology if I was offensive to dr. badawee's on my previous post my Allah forgive me I will edit the first part of my post, since he call him self a scholars we leave it at that inshaallah. And we pry for him that Allah SWA guides him and increase him in his knowledge ameen.