Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

A Muslim figure suggests women to stop wearing hijab

Haddad   

I don't know who's Dr Badawi, but his advice is wrong. If London or the UK isn't safe for Muslims, especially for women who wear hijab, let them migrate or move to Allah's vast lands. Not wearing hijab will not make Muslim women more safe. Those who engage in race attacks aren't dumb; if they want to attack Muslim women, they can also go after those who wear shirts & jeans. I know what the kind of Muslim figure like Dr Badawi would also advice Muslims; change your Muslim names to Western names to stay safe from race attacks.

I want to highlight that living in the West isn't safe for Muslims; it has the potential to get more unsafe as the clash between Islam and the West widens. Muslims have to understand they live in an alien & hostile ground. They need to comprehend they're sitting ducks in the West. The smart Muslim would make the wise decision of preparing to move to a non-hostile ground.

bilan   

what did you say emmigrate, do not we all wish if it was that simple,i am sure if we have another place to go we would not be here. i do not how unsafe england is after the attacks,and i am not scholar to say it is right or wrong,but i know one thing for sure that men(muslim men) can never, will never understand how hard it is to wear hijab in western society these days. it is funny how majority of muslim men try to assimilate into western society such as wearing knee length shorts, and latest fashion clothes. i will advise all men to try to be a visible muslim for one week: grow your beard as long as possible,wear khamis,take a copy of the qur'an read it on the train,where everyone on the train can see what you reading and see how you take unwanted attention,glances, and sometimes verbal abuses.

Haddad   

Originally posted by bilan:

i am sure if we have another place to go we would not be here.

There's another place to go, but it requires hard work. There are two choices here; be a sitting duck in the West, or work hard (as should every Muslim) to sustain yourself in a non-hostile ground.

i will advise all men to try to be a visible muslim for one week: grow your beard as long as possible,wear khamis,take a copy of the qur'an read it on the train,where everyone on the train can see what you reading and see how you take unwanted attention,glances, and sometimes verbal abuses.

If you live in the US, you don't need go further, just observe the Somali and other immigrant cabdrivers who live in your city; they do some or all of what you have suggested, some doing it from day they come to the US, and it's not as bad as you make it sound.

Haddad,

There is no safe place on earth. Trials and tribulations are all around be a Muslim or not.

I personally find Mr Badawi giving the wrong solution like alot of scholars did. He should look at Turkey and the psychological turmoil the sisters of that nation went through choosing between hijab and getting an education.

And I also beleive Mr.Badawi forgot was its just a repeatition of jahiliah times (proper akhir zaman), the first Muslim sisters were sneered and tormented, and kept to their faith, they didnt run n hide and throw their veils off. It only strenghtens the faith.

Jacpher   

You're right! It's not easy to practice your faith fully in a society that sees you different, outsider and may be a threat. I don't blame them though. They have every reason to be suspicious and/or afraid. Not because of your veil or religion but because of what they constantly see in the news. They hear all these negative stuff in the schools, at work, at home and almost every where. They don't know any better and simply take whatever the mainstream media broadcasts literally. I feel sorry for them.

Can you image some guy stopping you in the mall asking ****** questions. The other day, a friend of mine was stopped by black guy and simply asked him if was a Muslim, then he said what the hell is wrong with you? Why do you go around and blow yourself up? The guy goes on with nonsense stuff. My friend changed the direction of the debate and told him as Blackman some years ago, they used to lynch you and today they’re lynching you mentally. The guy appeared somewhat old and college educated. Had I met someone like that, I would have asked him if escaped from a mental institution which probably would piss him off. The point is these people are told daily to watchout and be vigilant. It reminds me of an old movie Amos and Andrew. Sorry, off the topic.

Regarding the advice of the Sheikh, I don’t know of his intentions but I know lots of Muslim scholars would avoid giving such advice except those progressive/liberal scholars. As always, you can’t judge unless you’re aware of the situation (Waaqic) and I am not in London. But what I don’t understand is his reference to the quran when he said:

“He said the Koran justified abandoning the hijab, saying it should help Muslim women be "identified and not molested", but if it led to harassment the ruling was it should not be worn"

Where did he get this from?

Ive been harrassed and abused verbally coz of my hijab for ages(more than 7yrs) and know it will continue.Its just way people react unfortunately to their own insecurities and to difference they cant control or want to understand.

The most vivid example which I will never forget was an overweight woman who could have been my ayeyo but in the eyes of society called modern with a hat and a pair of shorts. She said alot, to cut the tale short the line which she made me laugh out was she told me 'your african, come all the way to study here and wear this weird coverings calling yourselves Muslims, are you out of ur mind? ' Her train of thought was by getting an education you should leave the folds of Islam and become civilised. As Islam is perceived as ugly,ancient,uncivilised,against womens rights, related with terror, whatever evil there is.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Warrior of Light:

Her train of thought was by getting an education you should leave the folds of Islam and become civilised.

That's a warped thought of train. I think the old lady should be excused, as her knowledge isn't uptodate. I applaud your stance, and hope you insist on it. May the force be with you.

S.O.S   

Dear brothers and sisters,

I know Dr Badawi and I advice you all not to take that man seriously.

Regarding the difficulties that our Sisters face when they go out in the streets, in a society which openly rebels and conspires to destroy the light of Islam, is when the xijaab becomes a test where obedience to Allah will be abandoned by the ignorant, the weak and those, like the majority of us, who rely on outward religiosity as sufficient. In that situation, our righteous Sisters, who remain loyal servants and show patience, and steadfastness in their obedience to Allah’s commands, Allah will cause them to shine like stars in the dark nights through their fulfilling of duties, within that hostile society that is both morally and ethically the lowest of the lowest in degradation and darkness.

I myself am a man who grows his beard, trims low his moustache, wears a cap on his head and as a consequence openly recognisable as Muslim. Therefore I can understand how my sisters feel in these difficult circumstances, especially the psychological pressures associated with if you are socially active or go to university and colleges. If I speak about myself again, sometimes when I go into public buildings, I’m asked to open my bag to see whether I’m smuggling in explosives, other times the buss doesn’t stop at the buss-stops that I’m standing which could be inconvenient too, but never ever will it cross my mind to compromise on my religious and ideological stances. To emigrate, yes, because we all have to if we wish to hold on to Allah’s Qur’aan and the Sunnah of His Prophet. See the thread I posted, which I’ve just renamed “Can we all go back now?â€

I said not to take Dr Badawi's advice seriously, so as an alternative, you should take THIS advice seriousley!

WCWW

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Shams-ud-Din:

Dear brothers and sisters,

I know Dr Badawi and I advice you all not to take that man seriously.

WCWW

But, they’re supposed to take you, a mere name on a screen seriously? Just because you say so? Rethink your words saaxib and do not cast passing aspersions on Muslim scholars without providing any proof for your implicit accusations.

“Sheikh Zaki Badawi, the principal of the Muslim College in London and chairman of the Council of Mosques and Imams in Britain, told IOL Thursday, July 28, that Muslim women in Britain can take off their hijab to head off racist attacks.

"I have issued a fatwa that Muslim women in Britain have an Islamic right to take off their hijab at this point of time if attacked or fearing to be attacked," he said, citing 15,00 assault against hijab-clad women in three days.

A Guardian/ICM poll published Tuesday, July 26, indicated that nearly half a million Muslims contemplated leaving Britain after the London attacks.â€

One can’t dispute the Sheikh’s logic here. If the Hijab is an Islamic requirement that protects women’s decency and shields their bodies from prying eyes and unwanted attention, surely in this case it’s not doing its job and is attracting harm on these women instead of keeping it away. The Dr is concerned for these women’s welfare and felt the issuing of such a fatwa might be helpful to those that are suffering from attacks because of their hijab. The links below show other scholars giving similar fatwas.*

The Hijab is not a symbol of defiance or a faith in itself; it’s a religious obligation, no more, no less. The Sheikh’s argument is that, sometimes, necessity commands the temporary abandoning of such obligations (i.e. when someone’s life is in danger). Some people might refuse to follow his Fatwa and instead, decide that they can ‘cope’. Great! Others might not. They should not be made to feel guilty about it (though, one would assume that they, as Muslims, did not take such a decision lightly).

Neither faith nor logic convicts Dr Badawi of any wrongdoing here. Does the brother who said that he “knew†Dr Badawi know the man’s heart? Is he making an educated guess (show workings if possible)? How about Haddad? How did he KNOW when he said:

I know what the kind of Muslim figure like Dr Badawi would also advice Muslims; change your Muslim names to Western names to stay safe from race attacks

You’ve come out from your one-line comfort zone, saaxib. But it’s still the same disappointing drivel. THINK.

I personally am apprehensive about this ‘Fatwa’, not because I disagree with it, but rather because of the way it will be interpreted (as we can see above) and the long-term implications of it. I don’t doubt the sincerity and intentions of Dr Badawi when he issued it though. However, I believe that it will give the West an excuse to bash the Hijab and, also give the ignorant zealots amongst us a reason to turn the Hijab from mere religious obligation into some symbol of the struggle; or; worse still, a mini version of the Lat, Ozza or Hobal.

Islam on line fatwa

Another Islam on line fatwa

"Dr Badawi said the hijab should not be worn if it invited attacks"

What happens if you get attack even after taking the hijab off and you die as a consequence of the attack? Would you rather die as a believer wearing the hijab? Or as someone who has abandoned what Allah SWA has told us in his quran?

Leaving the hijab due to fear of the kufars is a sign of weakness. Whether you wear the hijab or not or whether you have a beard and a kameeze or not we should be aware of the fact that whatever happens to us could not miss us and whatever missed us could not have happened to us.

Let’s just take as an example the Brazilian man who got shot, was he a Muslim? Did he have a beard? Did he have a kameez or was his trousers above his ankle? Certainly not and yet they thought he was one of the bombers.

It is not the hijaabs, the beards or the Muslim women they are against.

Rather it is your obedience to GOD over them they want to abolish.

So as long as you believe in GOD As Your Lord and Sole Master you will find yourself prosecuted.

The ultimate given to mankind was either you are with us or against us.

It is the Lordship of ALLAAH they fighting against and as a result His worshippers are punished.

It is ALLAAH’S Laws they are waging the war against as a result His followers are ridiculed and labelled backward

Please fellow Muslims let us not us not loose focus of the real issues.

Even if you loose your hijaab, beard or khamiis won’t you still believe in GOD As Your Lord and Sole Master? And that was what they wanted to get rid of not the hijaabs etc

They want to be a rival to GOD!!!!!

...so they filtrate the media with nothing but corruption, introducing and advertising things like yoga (whose orgin is shirk), madona's religion, pop culture, materialism, fame, climbing up social/economic later, nakedness and sexuality, homo/hetero/bio. all in attempt to widen the gap or demolish the relationship between the creation and Allaah. and we are already aware of the plots of the kuffar, its nothing new. rather Allaah has already informed us that they are envious and are trying to turn us to disbelieve. it is upon as to learn our religion, and establish a relationship with our creator the way HE HAS COMMAND US, not how we please. and this is where safety lies. safety cannot be found in the darkness of ignorance and disobedience!

its an honour to obey The Lord of the heaven and the earth! there is wisdom in everything He decrees and orders.

i don't think dr. badawi knows the wisdom behind hijab. it surely is not for show and tell. take it off and you will invite to a greater evil. the evil of men with diseased hearts. and this is more damaging physically and psychologically (rape, molestation, and other forms of sexual harassment). this is in response to his arguement that "the Koran justified abandoning the hijab, saying it should help Muslim women be "identified and not molested", but if it led to harassment the ruling was it should not be worn"

walallaahee Islam is a mercy, and the messenger was sent as a mercy to mankind. and Islam honours the woman.

it is the disbelievers who oppress the woman. anybody who knows the virtues of hijab knows this!

[i would like to state here that i'm not implying dr. badawee is a disbeliever]

"Many of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) wish that if they could turn you away as disbelievers after you have believed, out of envy from their ownselves, even, after the truth (that Muhammad Peace be upon him is Allâh's Messenger) has become manifest unto them. But forgive and overlook, till Allâh brings His Command. Verily, Allâh is Able to do all things. (Al-Baqarah 2:109)"

more to add to ukhtie muslimah's post above..

On the authority of Abu Abbas, Abdullah the son of Abbas (radiyallaahu 'anhumaa) who said: "One day I was behind the prophet (salallaahu 'alayhi was salaam) and said to me: "Young man, i shall teach you some words (of advice): Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of allaah; if you seek help, sekk help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had Already prescribed for you. and that if they gather together to harm you with any thing, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried."

(this is a great hadeeth, ibn rajab wrote a separate treaties on it, if you can get your hands on ibn rajab's commentary to the 4o hadeeth an-nawawee it would benefit you greatly. ibn rajab was i believe from the students/colleagues of ibnul qayim rahimallaah)

this hadeeth brings a lot of comfort to the believers heart.

even if all of america and uk were to gang up on one girl wearing hijab or one brother with a beard. they wouldn't be able to even pinch him/her if Allaah did not will so.