Sign in to follow this  
Dr_Osman

My Puntland. A Diaspora Vision

Showqi   

^Huh! and here I thought Shariif was loyal to his Koofiyad Baraawe. Are you sure this picture is not photo-shopped:confused:

Dr_Osman   

Update on this thread

Ridwan Bakery

Bandhig-Faneed-Horseed-Media-3.jpg

Fishing Equipment

Badhig-4.jpg

Al-Rahimah Bottled Water and also you can see the mattress company on the side

Bandhig-Faneed-Horseed-Media-8.jpg

Hormuud Workshop

Bandhig-Faneed-Horseed-Media-9.jpg

Badhig-2.jpg

Bandhig-Faneed-Horseed-Media-2.jpg

Florist Company

Bandhig-Faneed-Horseed-Media-6.jpg

So alot of stuff here to be proud of boys Just keep adding to this thread of all the known industries

Dr_Osman   

Of course that is tawakal bank. Even hadhwanaag reported on it back in 10. Here is a snippet

Shirkaan waxaa lagu go’aamiyey in Shirkadda Tawakal dhisato Bangiyo (Tawakal Bank) gaar ahaan dalka gudihiisa. Bangiga iyo Hotelka ugu horeeyana waxaa laga dhisayaa magaalada Bosaso, ka soo horjeedka Hotel Emirates, dhanka waqooyi ee masjidka weyn ee Rowda.Kor ka eeg muuqaalka bangiyada Tawakal.

Note how they say the bank will be next to rowda. Well here is the street emirate hotel and masjid Rowda is on.

Notice the building in the middle, to its left is emirate hotel, to its right is masjid rowda

DSCN1547.jpg

Here is a more clearer shot of masjid rowda to the right of the Tawakal Bank in the middle.

DSCN1567.jpg

Far Away shot of Tawakal Bank

28802_124495690923954_100000905704365_11

I hope that is cleared up any misunderstandings, the only thing left is the opening which hasn't been opened officially maybe there still doing work on it im not sure but its a 6 storey building first of its kind in Bosaso thats for sure but Golis Tower and Iftin Bank is going to crap all over it!!!

Somalia   

The problem with Bosaso is that its too crowded and dusty, they need to expand the city to the East and when they do they shouldn't make the roads so close.

Also, where are the trees? Plant some trees, green it up, its a bit dusty!

Dr_Osman   

Somalia Bossaso is implementing the 2006 urban planning technique be patience. There is already construction of pedestrian walk-ways and sidelined trees to split the roads!!!!

Dr_Osman   

Somalia;769178 wrote:
The problem with Bosaso is that its too crowded and dusty, they need to expand the city to the East and when they do they shouldn't make the roads so close.

Also, where are the trees? Plant some trees, green it up, its a bit dusty!

Somalia you wont be satisfied with my answers brother, let this guy answer you who went there as a tourist back in 07

I visited Somalia the first time in 2007. This was my first visit to the autonomous region of Puntland. It is not easy to visit for many reasons. One, learning how to get a travel permit is not known even by top travel agents. Two, it may be a dangerous place to visit. To be safe another extreme traveler and myself arranged to have 4 armed guards at all times during our very interesting visit. There are no pirates in Bosaso. The pirates are on the other side of the Horn of Africa.

We stayed at the International Village which has a compound and there are 6 or 7 gazelles which part of the day are allowed to roam freely. They are very cute and semi-tame. I wish I knew their exact species.

The airport in Bosaso does not have paved runways and we flew on old Russian planes using Jubba Airways which has an unique, but effective mini-hubbing arrangement where passengers are reassigned to airplanes as traffic demands. The flight numbers on your ticket may not match the flights you take.

Bosaso is a rapidly growing city that is lead by business people. Although poor with a 60% illiteracy rate, there is a can-do spirit and I left thinking there is hope for Bosaso and Puntland
. I was fortunate to have some in-depth conversations with 2 separate Somali Americans and learned more than travelers usually do.

We visited the East African University and the Port. At the University, I studied the white boards in many classrooms to get a sense of the educational approach and topics. At the port, we watched cattle caught one by one and loaded 2 at a time onto a wooden ship.

The standard approach the merchants use is to have murals painted on their stores depicting the types of products sold so that customers who cannot read have no trouble find the right store.

We were treated well by everyone we met in Bosaso. It was interesting to meet a dwarf at the airport as we were leaving.

Armed Guards

Puntland1.jpg

Cute Gazelle

Puntland2.jpg

University Hospital

Puntland3.jpg

East Africa Univ.

Puntland4.jpg

Class Assignment

Puntland5.jpg

Bosaso, Puntland

Puntland6.jpg

Bosaso, Puntland

Puntland7.jpg

Bosaso, Puntland

Puntland8.jpg

Bosaso, Puntland

Puntland9.jpg

Bosaso, Puntland

Puntland10.jpg

Dr_Osman   

1649088_12660592341597.jpg

1649088_12660592355099.jpg

Picnic to Bio Kulule

Bosaso Travel Blog › entry 3 of 4 › view all entries

February 14th, 2003 –

by: ebbin

Stony mountains of Bosaso

Our first three months in Bosaso were not so thrilling as we were not ready to go out too much. During these days we made some good friends at office including our driver Jamaal. Jamaal, a very friendly man, was driver as well as body guard to us. He was responsible for all our travel needs. Every Thursday, it was his duty to take us to market. The local market trips were quite difficult for me in the early days but later it turned to be one of the interesting part of week. After first visit to local market, my wife decided not to take such enjoyments any more. In the market mostly women do business like selling vegetables, meat, kitchen utensils, grocery, furniture, and so on. Life was normal and monotonous until this One of the thousands of Camels that we used to see couple from Gujarat joined us in Bosaso.

One of the thousands of Camels that we used to see.They came for a short term contract of setting up a chemical factory in Bosaso. I felt it could be nice to have a small picnic on one of the Fridays and discussed with Jamaal. He was very happy and suggested Bio-Kulule and Bosaso Beach.

Bio-Kulule is a hot spring 10 kilometers away from Bosaso. We have decided to include Jamaal's family and some of our office friends. We started to drive towards Bio-Kulule at around 9:00 in the morning and left the city in 15 minutes drive. I couldn't see any roads to say, but just some marks of vehicles passed before. Vast area of dry land and stony mountains didn't give us a scope to trace even a small green plant. We didn't In Bio-Kulule travel long to spot a small green land far ahead. It was nothing other than Bio-Kulule. In Bio-Kulule As we

reached the spring we saw the place was blocked by some sort of gate.

A man approached us and demanded entry fees. After some sort of bargaining, Jamaal offered him 20,000 Somali Shillings for all of us. The place was cool and green. Plenty of date palms and some other trees were populated in a small area of almost 1+ acres of land. Naturally boiled water was flowing free from the spring as a stream and then collected to three different pools were people take bath. We washed our feet by stepping in to the stream.

After spending morning hours and having our packed lunch, we moved back to Bosaso. Jamaal said he is following some different route by I was not able differentiate the routes until we reached the beach. Beach was quite and not much clean. Smell of decayed fish was not giving a pleasant feeling but the view was soothing. Blue waves and white sands gave the beach an exotic look. We didn't stay there for much as the fishermen were approaching us for selling their catch.

Bro I don't want to post every tourist story for you, I know ten of the top of my head but you just need to realize Puntland is moving forward