Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

Steve Jobs is dead

N.O.R.F;750044 wrote:
^come on

You have admit he was a modern day innovation extraordinaire. Remember the first Apple PCs? Look at them today. He fought back against microsoft and took the young generation with him. A big loss to the tech world.

Yes a great man undoubtedly, but he fought back against Microsoft with the help of Bill Gates and largely thanks to an interest free perpetuity loan. The great strength of Jobs besides being a mercurial creative genius was his pragmatism. This at a time when Apple so easily could have gone under. Now I’m not suggesting Gates offered the $205 million out of good will, but rather he needed a competitor in the market or he himself faced being broken up in the face of stiff anti trust and competition laws, Microsoft was simply too big. Either way Jobs changed the way we see and interact with everyday devices. For me his greatest achievement would have to be the first generation iPhone. Still to this day mine is in good working order, stylistically it was leaps and bounds ahead, however it also revolutionised how we see and interact with what was a mundane everyday device with things like the appstore and itunes.

Article from yesteryear http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0011385

The world has lost a creative genius indeed. RIP

Mr Cook should carry on Steve's vision for the company, I hope! Apple, I believe is a too big of a company to fail, and will survive without the its father.

STOIC   

Steve Job's best speech talking about how he dropped out of college and get kicked out of apple boards,....check out some of the text here

"The first story is about connecting the dots.

I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit. So why did I drop out?

It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I should be adopted by college graduates, so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decided at the last minute that they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list, got a call in the middle of the night asking: "We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?" They said: "Of course." My biological mother later found out that my mother had never graduated from college and that my father had never graduated from high school. She refused to sign the final adoption papers. She only relented a few months later when my parents promised that I would someday go to college......................................................................................

My second story is about love and loss.

I was lucky — I found what I loved to do early in life. Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I was 20. We worked hard, and in 10 years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees. We had just released our finest creation — the Macintosh — a year earlier, and I had just turned 30. And then I got fired. How can you get fired from a company you started? Well, as Apple grew we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me, and for the first year or so things went well. But then our visions of the future began to diverge and eventually we had a falling out. When we did, our Board of Directors sided with him. So at 30 I was out. And very publicly out. What had been the focus of my entire adult life was gone, and it was devastating........................................................................................

My third story is about death.

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."..................................................

I am very tempted to post the AP article stating that 29,000 Somali children under the age of 5 died within a period of 90 days but I woouldn't ruin your remembering of good ol' steve. And since when has it become customary to do a dua for gaalo, SMH @ RIP.

^^^who cares about your wars, famine, suicide bombs! these boards have been inundated with posts about 'poor old 'somalia' '. you get immuned to it after a while and look for other interesting and newsworthy stuff. jobs was awesome, he created ipads. i doubt any somali person death's, however tragic, warrants the same level of attention. others will tell you the above but politely, but as I'm somali, i hope you get the full picture in its entirely without any gloss or PC.

Som@li   

how many suffering did his company created for the poor workers in China? and how many families destroyed? did he knew of the contamination in China?

Apple blasted for alleged pollution by suppliers

BEIJING, China: As the rest of the world waxes nostalgic with tributes and accolades for Apple's retiring CEO Steve Jobs, the factory workers in China who got sick while making Apple's touchscreens remain unmoved.

Six months ago, factory workers in Suzhou poisoned two years ago by toxic chemicals at the factory wrote to Jobs directly, asking for his help in getting medical care and compensation for their illnesses and lost work time.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/biz-tech/apple-workers-in-china-react-to-steve-jobss-news-20110902-1jov1.html#ixzz1a3PKm1K0

STOIC;750115 wrote:

"When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years,
I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

This is brilliant and so inspiring!

Steve Job iyo Apple raggedii waayo...sababtoo ah, I have been using their MacBook/iPhone for a while. I hope they continue with their spirit of innovation after SJ.

Baashi   

Oh Steve, iSad. Your passing is loss for tech consumers, entrepreneurs, inventors, and biz leaders everywhere.

We associate Steve with the following products:

Apple

Pixar

NeXT (Mathematica platform -- in academia and engineering world -- yes it’s form him too),

Mac OS X,

iProduct series (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

And finally iOS

Few man has ever achieved the biz feat of taking their creation to US$354 Billion. Remarkable feat.

Gone now fifty-six years young. I'm feeling awe at this guys talent, motivation, confidence and determination. He was oneuffa kind as they say out here.

Waari meyside war ha kaa haro -- He did that in this life. The afterlife is another story and that makes me sad that he went to the other side with empty handed. iSad -- wordcloud in twitter shows that iSad is one of the biggest word in the cloud.