Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Sorry kids, I won't be back at school - I'm now the Deputy Prime Minister of Somalia

Teacher Mohamed Ibrahim quits for Somalia deputy PM job

A north London school support teacher has resigned from his job after unexpectedly being appointed as deputy prime minister of Somalia.

Mohamed Ibrahim had been a learning support teacher at Newman Catholic College in Harlesden for two years when he was appointed to the post.

The 64-year-old has also taken up the role of minister for foreign affairs.

Head teacher of the school, Richard Kolka, said he was "awestruck" by the news.

Mr Kolka said when the school's summer term ended in July he had no idea Mr Ibrahim was going anywhere.

"The first I heard about it was on 1 August when a colleague sent me a text to tell me of his [Mr Ibrahim's] appointment," Mr Kolka said.

"He emailed and asked if he could have permission not to return to school.

"I usually ask for one-month's notice so I had to waive that particular protocol."

In his email, Mr Ibrahim said: "I was unexpectedly called to my country Somalia during the school holidays and appointed as a deputy prime minister and the minister for foreign affairs at a time when the country was facing humanitarian crises such as drought and famine.

"I have already faced the challenges of this new job and have taken part in the FAO (Food and Agriculture Organisation) conference in Rome, the Islamic conference in Istanbul and going to Ethiopia for the African Union to appeal for humanitarian relief for Somalia.

"I will always have Newman Catholic College in my heart and won't forget my wonderful colleagues."

On congratulating his former member of staff, Mr Kolka said: "I was both amazed and awestruck by your news. What an honour for you, but also what a responsibility!

"You deserve all the best of good fortune as you seek to serve your country that has endured so much hardship and suffering."

Somalia has suffered decades of fighting and has not had a functioning national government since 1991.

The UN-backed authority which Mr Ibrahim has joined controls the capital, Mogadishu, but hardly anywhere else.

Most southern and central areas are dominated by the al-Qaeda linked militants, al-Shabab, which has staged several suicide attacks on government officials.

They are severely preventing many Western aid agencies from assisting those suffering from famine in areas they control.

nuune   

Sayidka feeling left out here, as a teacher, you should go there next available school holiday and disappear only to say by telegram that you become wasiirka tacliinta.

Ps: That position of deputy prime minister & foreign affairs is based on 4.5, and hardly any experience, as is the case for almost half of the cabinet.

NGONGE   

^^ But this guy has the experience, saaxib. Waxa la yedhi: Somali politicians are all ciyaal (not to mention Al Shabab).

The Zack   

Abdul;745475 wrote:
He might be heading back to his teaching job next year.I hope the job will be there for him upon his return.

Exactly!

I don't wnt to name names but there this dude who was a case manager in a local welfare agency (in my town) and got an "agaasime" position in Farmaajo's government, guess what? He got fired when Abdiwali came on board. The dude came back and got his old job back. LOL.

nuune   

^^ So was Farmaajo, he got his job back.

But the guy is support learning teacher and not a proper teacher, thanks to Sharif Sakiin for calling him ASAP to get the job or else beesha waa la dhacayaa, this is same for all clans calling their brethrens from all corners as far as Tromso to Fort Macmuray

Ngonge, yeah they are all ciyaal, including that defense minister, have you seen his face, he lied about his age and said he is old, but he is not older than me(46), I think he said something about being 47 or 48 lol, he is reer Arabsiyo, and I heard Arabsiyo town is booming now with his posters hang in family homes, mid reer Arabsiyo aan isla joogno xataa wuxuu i yiri the defense minister is going to send an aid ship to the town, mostly furniture and jiingado

:D@Nuune & Norf - I haven't missed out anything - I would rather be a bin man then to become a politician in Somalia in its current state - at least there is still an honour in being bin man.

But I do wholeheartedly wish Mr Ibrahim all the best in this endeavour and hope he has sincere good intention.

Blessed   

^LOL. Wuu u hoos galinayaa ma aragtaa. Horta, odaygii Islington ka tagay weli miyuu joogaa wadankii. I think waxaa laga dhigay Mayor of Muqdisho or sumin. Rag siyaasi wada noqay as the poet said...