Sign in to follow this  
sharma-arke451

campus girls

Thanks Blessed, I've also only heard the mahram issue as you explained. I too know of a few girls who went to Egypt and Yemen to study Arabic and Islamic studies. If this wasn't allowed, surely there would have been no place for them to study?

Ayoub, not sure what's exactly 'wrong' according to you. Is it only girls that this applies to or are you against boys studying away from home too?

I didn't offer my sisters' example as a religious one? Waalidkood permitted them and it was good for them because they gained important experience by keeping to a budget, paying bills and dealing with the headache-inducing BT/SKY and landlord shido we are all used to when running a household. They lived with other girls, they missed home and mum's cooking as all students do but they gained their degrees from good universities and they moved back home after graduation, where they still live. In this capacity, the experience has enhanced their lives rather than taken something away from them.

The impact of loans is one that all students have had to deal with since they were introduced. Even if a student stays home to study, that's still an issue for most.

In any case, I have yet to see Islamic evidence banning females from seeking education outside their homes. But if I am mistaken and there is such an Islamic law, I would be pleased to be set right.

Aaliyyah   

Jamalo I agree with everything u wrote on your second post. We are on the same page..n ur right abt the perfect man being in Jannah lol im beginning to realize that :P

Sharmarke I simply meant a girl should be self sufficient she doesnt necessarily have to make more income than her hubby n if she does he should feel proud of her alhamdulilah..

*What does "Ilaahay in la tala saarto" mean in practice? Does it mean 18 is old enough for a girl to move out of her parent/guardian's household? I am not a scholar but I think you'd find the "talo" is girls should not move out just because they're 18. If you know otherwise, pls let me know because I don't think it is minor issue that can be decided in a such cavalier

Ayoub,

Ilaahay in la talo saarto waxay ka mid tahay markaad ilmahaga diinta bartid ilaa from a young age..sheko ba jirtay asxaabta inay aheed iyo inkale ma hubo laakin nin yidhi ilmaheegu wa labo jir ee sida u bara oo u barbaariya..markasa lugu yidhi ma labo jir baa xagee ku maqneed inti hore..marka from the day ilmahaga gacantaada lugu galiyo ilaa maalintu uu ka qaangaadhayo oo caqli ku filan helayo wa in aad tobabartaa oo diin iyo akhlaaq iyo adaab iyo waxkasta bartaa...marku ilmahaas 18 ama 19 ma lihi anuu ha la dhoho .u know what u are 18 u gotta move out..waxaas dhaqankeena ma aha. Laakin shekadu waxay aheed campuses iyo ardayda ku nool. Marka hadii ilmahaga 18 jiro ay dhahdo hooyo waxaan raba jamacad hebla in aan ka qaado programkaas oo aad i cajabiyay, in aad yacni garatid gabadhaadu in ay qof weyn tahay caqli leeedahay isku filantahay (dabcan sometimes responsibility is a relative term and if u do see ur 18 yrs old is clearly immature maybe don't let her, but if your daughter gave you absolutely no reason to not trust her and she was always mature why ever reason would u refuse her valid request)..tan kale, maybe many of you don't remember how mature u were at 18 and it feels so far away, but for me it was 6 years ago. And, honestly nothing changed for me..bt alhamdulilah if today I pursue graduate school my parents have nothing against it if i move out...but moving out for no reason whatsoever other than hey i wanna grow up and pay my bills still doesnt cut it for them lol..

salaam

jamalo   

As for the responsible adult somali women, they should pour more emphasis on gaining the compulsory Islamic education & settling down to establish a family, rather than wasting their precious time inhabiting campuses studying for valueless lessons

You can not be serious?? Educated, professional female workforce is nesseary if we want to establish a healthy Islamic society. Also, studying the deen is integral to the life of the Muslim, you don't leave it or cast it aside because of your concerns with dunya.

Education is important part of life and everybody HAS to be educated, however I think it's fair to say careers & motherhood dont mix. A womens job is to get married and raise children. Any effort beside this is useless especially in her life. In fact women would lose if they left marriage, something no fame, honour or position coud compesate. A womans work in public would divert her from looking after her husband and children because she would return to her house very tired & displeased. Who, then, would entertain the other? The man or the woman? Who would fondle the children? Would not everybody then, even the child, be a cog-wheel in a dead silent machine in a life which has no quietness or stability?

What if it is said that we would have half of society without a job? We would answer: Work should contain all the jobless men before any woman is allowed to have office. A working man would support himself and the woman from the other half of society.

Recent tendency of delaying motherhood for the sake of career has its devastating implications too. Ranging from bequething infertility to the offspring to breast cancer epidemics. So this is not helpful either.

Aaliyyah   

Genius lol now I know why you are called Genius, you can do simple math....Val he used the calculator :P

Jamalo has a point. Laakin Education both for this dunya and akhira are as important...whether a girl later chooses to stay at home to take care of her kids is up to her (and dabcan better for her kids..caruur hooyo koriso lama mid noqonayan caruur daycare so korisay!)

tan kale maalin dhoweed book sociology ah waxan ka akhriyay that nowadays even thou men do teh household chores with their working wives, there s higher chance for them to divorce (waxasna gaalo baaba garatay....and the reason is probably what jamalo mentioned above two ppl being tired after work)

salaam

Blessed   

jamalo;743954 wrote:

Education is important part of life and everybody HAS to be educated, however I think it's fair to say careers & motherhood dont mix. A womens job is to get married and raise children. Any effort beside this is useless especially in her life. In fact women would lose if they left marriage, something no fame, honour or position coud compesate. A womans work in public would divert her from looking after her husband and children because she would return to her house very tired & displeased. Who, then, would entertain the other? The man or the woman? Who would fondle the children? Would not everybody then, even the child, be a cog-wheel in a dead silent machine in a life which has no quietness or stability?

What if it is said that we would have half of society without a job? We would answer: Work should contain all the jobless men before any woman is allowed to have office. A working man would support himself and the woman from the other half of society.

Recent tendency of delaying motherhood for the sake of career has its devastating implications too. Ranging from bequething infertility to the offspring to breast cancer epidemics. So this is not helpful either.

Sorry but this is complete and and utter tosh.

Aaliyyah   

^bal slow down, and respect blessed. She's a mother and knows what she's talking about as well..i'm sure she juggles between work, kids, and hubby (and with the right man its probably possible! and of course with a lot of patience from both sides)..

salaam

aaliyyah, jamalo, and val cheers.

to me, a girl child means the life of the coming generation. from their logic to living, is a process of life saving. whomever is blessed with the honour to rare a girl child, allah haooga baqo, and should bring them up islamically.

its really sickening and disturbing to see an elderly mother walking besides her two adult girls, with fitting jeans and rolling hairs down on their back. amazingly the mom is covered.

the ideals in the west aren't our way of life, we should at least resist the temptation of westernising, we should rather be steadfast in our deen. and may allah guide us all..................allahuma amiin

Aaliyyah;743965 wrote:
^bal slow down, and respect blessed. She's a mother and knows what she's talking about as well..i'm sure she juggles between work, kids, and hubby (and with the right man its probably possible! and of course with a lot of patience from both sides)..

salaam

sas ma ahan aaliyyah, dee qofka waa la qadariyaa araadiisa. if your opinion is different from others, always there's a simple way of expressing yourself, than terming the hardly thought opinions of others tosh/non sense

Aaliyyah   

Sharmarke ilaahay qof walba asaga og gortu so hadeenayo. Just pray for them..and I think the whole reason why somali families can't be strict as pakistani families when it comes to their children's code of their dressing is cuz 20 years ago they themselves were not practicing muslims..almost any somali family u would see pics of their moms in the 80s with afro hairs and big earings (no offense intended but just sayings)..and it wasnt their fault at all one old lady told me "only heblayo used to pray waxan ku odhan jiray naa iska fadhiso waad yartahay) they clearly didnt know much about deen so im not going to blame them..laakin marki halkan layimidna dee dhibteedee leedahay (at least back home ppl had culture..but here we have lost both our culture and religion and thats why it is even more dangerous. qofku haduu dhaqan leeyahay waxyaala badan ayuu ka xishoonaya xita haduu diinta waxbadan ka ogeen..lakin dhaqanki iyo diinti hadii labada darashada laga tuuro maxa so hadhay..and this applies to both men and women alike, I really don't like when ppl put more emphasis on their duaghters..wilashaba melahaas bay edabdaro la taganyihiin kuwa badan oo ka mid ah not to generalize or anything.)

with that been said, u are right we all have to respect each other..bt i guess to blessed what jamalo wrote sound utter nonsense even thou it isn't..laakin gabadho badan guriga jooga 24/7 oo ha shaqeesanina oo carurta haya shekadaas ma jecla mana ka dhaadhacdo!!..and when i THINK about it could be boring lol laakin u know u gotta sacrifice for your kids iguess..

salaam

Malika   

No wonder, non- Muslims have this assumption that we Muslim women are oppressed, unrespected and above all unvalued as human beings, ileen they read what our Muslim brothers say about us - How we are good for nothings except if we are serving them, how we dishonour them, if not with what is between our legs its..erm in this case by choosing to dress this or that way..ileen waxaan oo kale bee arkeen.

As far as I know , a muslim woman is a human being whom has been given free will by her creator. She like the Muslim man choose how she lives her life, knowingly she will be questioned about it on the day of judgment. All this about how a Muslim woman should be or should not be is really an insult to the Muslim women's intelligence. Waxaa kaa digateen baa ineey xoolo yihiin

Any decent, intelligent woman either be Muslim or non Muslim would know the importance of family - and would trive to build/sustain/maintain that stable family, without having to also neglect their own needs to extend their knowledge by seeking Education or by giving back to the community in the means of working.

Marka naga daya nacnacdaan.

jamalo   

Thanks guys. Aaliyah & Sharmarke have raised some good points, esp about parents who were not into deen during their youth and hooyos walking with hijabless daughters with fitting jeans in the streets while themselves fully covered. These kinda mothers have clearly drifted away from deen, and worst still they are failing in their parental duties to provide their children with a solid Islamic education due to lack of care!! This usually results in loss of morality in children which in turn could lead to far greater problems in the future. They will be held fully accountable for every sin committed by the child until when the he/she matures and becomea an adult. Allah knows best.

Aaliyah, I like ur thinking. Seems youd make a good mother if you're willling to sacrife for the best of the children. My suggestion is do not ever squander your time for a career that will exhaust, displease and unsatisfy you in favour of becoming a loving wife & responsible mother. You see, the notion of a woman who busts her *** and works for her own, in fact, not true. She works because the capitalist creed has placed her in that position. She has no alternative but to submit to the conditions of that society, even though she may think shes working on her own accord and without being coerced. The presumption that there is no difference btw men & women, in fact, deprives her of her freedom. Real freedom.

Salaam.