Sign in to follow this  
Ismahaan

A great Restaurant for all -nomads

^^ where you from Kenya or TZ, i was born in Dar but sadly cant speak the lingo, can still understand a fair bit though:D. i left when i was 5, Inshallah looking forward to learning it again as everyone in my family speaks kiswahili, and i dont which kinda sucks. i always hated that term sijui largely due to its meaning LOL.

Mac mac kor iyo sideways mpendwa. Yap by the add above its in West London.

p.s wala chapatti ya maji kwetu sisi sijuis and its better than pancake. I miss malawax for breakfast.

Malika   

Archdemos - if you were born in Dar, the chances are that I know your family..:D , aye! am from Dar.

Cl - mkate wa maji is very similar to canjeelo but made from rice flour with yeast and rather thicker too. I hated the night duty to prepare the canjeelo mix - first you got to go to the neighbours seeking the yeast[ one that has been formulated perhaps a year ago..lol] then ayeyo will sit next to you watching how you 'garac' the darn mix..gacmahaa adkeysoo hee, sii ficaan uu garac' bac bac bac for nearly half an hour..I dont miss that task! Thank godness to blenders..he he

CL - its a date, when and what time ? :D

Lol Mapendwa, yap if you were born in Dar, chances are your known. Except if you were born In ilala, motoni mtongani, mbagal etc areas. ;p;

I used to avoid canjeelo duties like the plague, thank god we were more chapatti ya maji kinda people. The worse cooking session has to be the Ramadan drills. You remember them. Gosh I don’t miss them.

Una kuja leni tena London?

LOL this gets interesting. I will give you some clues to see if you know who i am. I'm the last born of the family born sometime mid to late 80's. I went to Upanga nursery school. Older brothers and sisters went to Shaban Robert and Olympio Primary School. Lived near New Africa hotel and embassy (don't know if their still around) near gymkhana golf club. too much clues:p

Malika   

Lool^ :D -true, if he was from ilala na kinondoni - nani alikuwa anawajua watu wa madongo kuinama.

Archmedo, hmm Somalis that lived in that area mentioned above where just a few families - very few indeed. Let me revisit my mind map of who lived there.. Archmedo, those hotels are still there, sadly Gymkhana clup isnt the same at it was - I spent most Thursdays there, they used to show movies on their top varanda.

CL - when I was 17, I was given the task of preparing ramadan meals - they started as soon as you woke up - bisinka! cooking in africa was a long and tedious task..all day in the kitchen, preparing food from scratch - thank God for Juma and Mwajuma..lol

Aaliyyah   

Lol - kimis mayai is what we sijuis call pancake..yeah, malawax is pancake.

Malika oh so thats y Zack was confused then.....I thought he was playing dumb or something...

Aaliyyah   

CL - when I was 17, I was given the task of preparing ramadan meals - they started as soon as you woke up - bisinka! cooking in africa was a long and tedious task..all day in the kitchen, preparing food from scratch - thank God to Juma and Mwajuma..lol

As you as u wake up ehh...well even here my family and I used to spend great deal of time preparing afuraad..bt alhmadulilah lately we changed that habit n minimize the time..after all one should spend great deal of time worshipping Allah swt rather than being in the kitchen the whole day. Bad habit that needs to be addressed...

Malika   

^Zack my sijui baa?

Its different in Africa, one has to make sambusa wraps from scratch - then cut the casavas, prepare the coconut....waa shaqoo miraan..Here, I get everything

The restaurant thread has turned to - 'who do you think you are ' @ Arch. Arch, there was a block of flat that had Somali occupants near Embassy hotel - near Agip/twiga hotel too..hmmm the name of reer Antonio comes to mind - r u one of his children? :P

^^LOL no but they were neighbours. Agip was underneath us. Our closest neigbours were ilmo Abdi Kulaney, we lived in the apartment above them. Its amazing how all somalis in TZ new eachother. we were a close knit group.

Blessed   

Arn't they all WL ? Miss our little place. It even came with a hill to burn all those calories. :D. This place looks nicet but you can tell that cunadu ain't nothing to write home about. Same hilbi and 2 veg you get in every Somali joint.

Aaliyyah   

I don't know Malika since he seemed confused abt it he might as well be a sujui I wouldnt know :) lets ask him lol

Its different in Africa, one has to make sambusa wraps from scratch - then cut the casavas, prepare the coconut....waa shaqoo miraan..Here, I get everything

My family we spend a lotta time cookin different dishes even thou we had ready samosa wrappers for isntance and what not lol..we still used to find ourselves in the kitchen way too many hrs..nw thou we changed..we dnt make as much food anymore!..