Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Egypt protests Cairo is a war Zone

NGONGE   

^^ There are old stories about the Saudi royal family being Jewish too. It's all rubbish. :D

Mubarak's mother is Egyptian. Even the Egyptians will tell you she is. Heh.

Ibtisam   

^^I believe the SA Royal family ones, weye uu eeg yhini Jewish :P

thats the thing only english sources are allowed to say she is jewish, otherwise Mubarak will arranged for them to dissappear.

I'm just kidding.

wyre   

NGONGE;691687 wrote:
^^ There are old stories about the Saudi royal family being Jewish too. It's all rubbish.
:D

Mubarak's mother is Egyptian. Even the Egyptians will tell you she is. Heh.

That true sxb boqortooyada sucuudiga asal ahaantooda waa yuhuud

NGONGE   

wyre;691694 wrote:
That true sxb boqortooyada sucuudiga asal ahaantooda waa yuhuud

War kii la diido ba, yuhuudi ayaa lago sheega. Dee naga daaya. :D

The last Egyptian revolution with the "free officers"

n668390133_694918_7900.jpg

Sacad Pasha Zagluul (who, by the way, had Hunguri's ancestor with him in exile in Malta). :D

1521.imgcache.jpg

Ahmed Pasha Curaabi

ff092fc74f62f60f663ec310ce97b5cd.gif

All Egyptians revolutionaries that fought for a better future (finally my history lessons has some uses).

و مصر هي امي, نيلها هو دمي

شمسها في سماري, شكلها فملامحي

وان كان لوني قمحي, دا من فضل مصر

متلاقيش مثالها, ست كل عصر

عشه جنب نيلها, تسوي الف قصر

ولا وردة بلدي, فيها عطر مصر

ولا سحر مصر, ولا جو مصر

%D8%B2%D8%BA%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%AA%D9%87.jpg

wyre   

NGONGE;691703 wrote:
War kii la diido ba, yuhuudi ayaa lago sheega. Dee naga daaya.
:D

Maya dee both aala sheikh and aala sacuud aa jews, didn't you read sheekooyinki Humphrey :D

Ibti - i didn't know you were one of those Somalis/Arabs/Muslims that see everything questionable as being jewish even if it be a juice :D

LOL@nuune - i was wondering as read along - when someone is going to bring out the elephant in the room :D

The Economist's Cairo correspondent says he believes Mubarak's days are numbered, and has some telling details:

I knew it was truly over when I came home to find a neighbour in a panic. He had smelled a fire nearby. We traced its source soon enough, after climbing to the roof of my building. Smoke drifted from the garden of the villa next door, where workers had recently been digging a peculiarly deep hole, as if for a swimming pool. In a far corner of the garden stood rows of cardboard boxes spilling over with freshly shredded paper, and next to them a smouldering fire.

More intriguingly, a group of ordinary looking young men sat on the lawn, next to the hole. More boxes surrounded them, and from these the men extracted, one by one, what looked like cassette tapes and compact discs. After carefully smashing each of these with hammers, they tossed them into the pit. Down at its bottom another man shovelled wet cement onto the broken bits of plastic. More boxes kept appearing, and their labours continued all afternoon.

The villa, surrounded by high walls, is always silent. Cars, mostly unobtrusive Fiats and Ladas, slip in and out of its automatic security gates at odd hours, and fluorescent light peeps through shuttered windows late in the night. This happens to be an unmarked branch office of one of the Mubarak regime's top security agencies. It seems that someone had given the order to destroy their records. Whatever secrets were on those tapes and in those papers are now gone forever.

The piece concludes: "Perhaps I am still wrong, and it is not completely over. Maybe another battle will be needed, soon, before [Mubarak] falls

7:13pm Opposition groups continue to call for a "million man march" and a general strike on Tuesday to commemorate one week since the protest movement began. Meanwhile, the military has reiterated that it will not attempt to hurt protesters.

As 250,000 gathered around Cairo's Tahrir Square on Monday, President Mubarak asked his new prime minister, Ahmad Shafiq, to start talks with the opposition. It has yet to be seen whether the broad coalition of Egyptian opposition groups - students, web activists, leftists, liberals, and Islamists - will manage to come together.

U.S is re-evaluating it's position and even toned down it's earlier rhetoric, but the old fox is still resisting. Is he buying time or he's got something else under his sleeves? I have under estimated Qeylo weyna yaasha, laakiin meel fiican bay u maraysaa hadda.

ElPunto   

HM can't last much longer now - the country is shut down for a week now. How long will the military allow him to hold on.

The Israel lobby is very afraid:

A democratic Egypt or a state of hate?

By Richard Cohen

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Things are about to go from bad to worse in the Middle East. An Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement is nowhere in sight. Lebanon just became a Hezbollah state, which is to say that Iran has become an even more important regional power, and Egypt, once stable if tenuously so, has been pitched into chaos. This is the most dire prospect of them all. The dream of a democratic Egypt is sure to produce a nightmare.

Egypt's problems are immense. It has a population it cannot support, a standard of living that is stagnant and a self-image as leader of the (Sunni) Arab world that does not, really, correspond to reality. It also lacks the civic and political institutions that are necessary for democracy. The next Egyptian government - or the one after - might well be composed of Islamists. In that case, the peace with Israel will be abrogated and the mob currently in the streets will roar its approval.

My take on all this is relentlessly gloomy. I care about Israel. I care about Egypt, too, but its survival is hardly at stake. I care about democratic values, but they are worse than useless in societies that have no tradition of tolerance or respect for minority rights. What we want for Egypt is what we have ourselves. This, though, is an identity crisis. We are not them.

It's impossible now to get a fix on what is happening in Egypt. The Muslim Brotherhood seems to be lying low. Is this a reflection of weakness or canniness? The Brotherhood remains the only well-organized institution in Egypt other than the military. It has been underground for generations - jailed, tortured, infiltrated, but still, somehow, flourishing. Its moment may be approaching.

Under a different name (Hamas), the Muslim Brotherhood runs the Gaza Strip. Hamas's charter states unequivocally that it wants to eradicate Israel. It mentions the 1978 Camp David accords, and not with admiration. ("Egypt was, to a great extent, removed from the circle of the struggle through the treacherous Camp David Agreement.") No doubt that in an Egyptian election, the call to repudiate the treaty will prove popular - as popular as the peace with Israel has not been.

The Muslim Brotherhood's most influential thinker was the Egyptian Sayyid Qutb. He was hanged in 1966, but not before he had managed to turn out a vast amount of writings. He showed almost superhuman courage and was, in many respects, a formidable man. But he was also a racist, a bigot, a misogynist, an anti-Semite and a fervent hater of most things American. As if to prove that familiarity breeds contempt, he had spent about two years in the United States.

The Egyptian crisis has produced the usual blather about the role of America. The United States remains powerful and important, but it has already lost control of events - not that it ever really had it. Moreover, it hardly matters what Washington now says. The Islamists of the Brotherhood do not despise America for what it does but for what it is. Read Qutb's purplish alarm at the dress and appearance of American women. Read his racist remarks about blacks. The Islamic state Qutb envisioned would be racist, anti-Semitic and anti-Christian as well. It would treat women as the Taliban now does - if only because the Taliban, too, reveres Qutb. He rejected a clemency offer, saying his words would matter more if he was dead. He was right.

Majority rule is a worthwhile idea. But so, too, are respect for minorities, freedom of religion, the equality of women and adherence to treaties, such as the one with Israel, the only democracy in the region. It's possible that the contemporary Islamists of Egypt think differently about these matters than did Qutb. If that's the case, then there is no cause for concern. But Hamas in the Gaza Strip, although recently moderating its message, suggests otherwise. So does Iran.

Those Americans and others who cheer the mobs in the streets of Cairo and other Egyptian cities, who clamor for more robust anti-Mubarak statements from the Obama administration, would be wise to let Washington proceed slowly. Hosni Mubarak is history. He has stayed too long, been too recalcitrant - and, for good reason, let his fear of the future ossify the present. Egypt and the entire Middle East are on the verge of convulsing. America needs to be on the right side of human rights. But it also needs to be on the right side of history. This time, the two may not be the same.

cohenr@washpost.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/31/AR2011013104014.html