Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Farmaajo's first press conference

The Zack   

Man, the man's English sucks big time for someone who lived in this country for more than two decade! Regardless, good press conference, he didn't really answer any of the critical questions he has been asked.

Sensei   

Ka qalee miskiinka, xabadii Xamar ayaa dagahiisa ka dhawaaqeysa.

I feel for him, I actually felt for all that held this post, but he seems bit timid this time around; you do not hear the same convictions you heard on day one. Good luck to him.

Is he coming to DC ?

LOL@ Sensei, for once in my lifetime, I would like to see a confident and articulate person speak on behalf of Somalis. For a supposed professor at an american college, I for one have been mislead by all the huuhaa surrounding the appiontment of this man. Many come to mind in fulfilling that wish, even on this forum (Ngonge, Sensei and who wouldn't love to see Kool Kat given that chance, lol)

Secondly, why all the secrecy with this arms deal, as the head of the of government literally hanging off a cliff, you would think they would jump up at owning up to any effort to beef its forces up embargo or no embargo, wth?

Gabbal   

As usual, the Somalis proof themselves to be surface people. I found the prime minister's press conference to be relatively unremarkable, rather than the mediocre with which some have labeled it. His demeanor is also very diplomatic like rather than the showmanship attributed to heads of states addressing constituents. Given the venue, it is not entirely unexpected. As for his oral grasp of the English language, I find it capable for an individual having picked up a foreign language in his 20's. Certainly I find it above average when compared with the many Somalis who have been here for 20 years and more I come across on a daily basis. Part of why we have political upheaval and social disintegration is rooted in the negative aspects of being a part of the Somali race displayed in this very page; surface, rarely displaying substantive critique, and fickle.

Chimera   

Must have been scary suddenly having 100 journalists in front of you. The more P.C's the man has, the more relaxed he will become and his articulation will be better, now he almost replied to an English language question with a Somali language answer. Several times he contradicted himself; 50th day in office or was it 49 days? Review will be revealed in 3 weeks or 2 weeks?

The main focus at hand is repairing the country, I don't care who does it. Our people are dying and suffering on a global scale, his command of English is irrelevant to me.

Chimera;687655 wrote:
Must have been scary suddenly having 100 journalists in front of you. .

If journalist are scary, then ciyaal xaafads must be terrifying. Lol

He has done fine in my opinion.

I am not sure I saw any glaring holes in that press conference. Farmaajo is a Somali immigrant. He was not born in Cornwall. If delivery is the debate here, there were no embarrassing mishaps. He may have come off little uncomfortable at first but any snag he may have had wasn't noteworthy enough to either blur his message or question his intelligence. He is a Somali politician who answered some of the question he wanted to answer and hedged on details he did not wish to divulge.

Yes, flowery rhetoric is impressive to watching audiences, but as far as communication is concerned, what is it that all of you didn't understand about the message he tried to communicate? I don't think there was any.

He strikes me as nin af-gaaban oo doonaya inuu wax hagaajiyo. Ilaahay ha garab galo, wadankani mid hagaagaya uma ekee.

The Zack   

Nobody made fun of his accent per se, we were just commenting on his lack of ability to combine two sentences together. Adam made a good point, it had to be the nervousness. On another note, he didn't answer three big questions he was asked.

1. He was asked about the TFG-Saracen agreement, he didn't answer the question.

2. He was asked If Ciid Baddal represents Somalia at the UN or not, he didn't answer that question. He said there is an "ambassador"???? and that he was with him today.

3. He was asked if the government will extend its mandate on August, 2011. He also didn't answer that question.

He sounded nervous and scarred in this press conference, he wasn't even sure how many days he was in office. 49 days or 50 days? LOL. I am sure he will do better next time.

you guys should stop thinking in terms of recreating the Siyadist regimes and behving like his regime did. sitting down in Villa Somalia and thinking you

can resurrect a State by just sitting on a chair.

Start thinking of new ways, try, experiment, free your minds and make efforts. And dont make the same circles like a dog who is chasing his tale. but sniff for something new and else.

What a ludacris idea to appoint somebody, only because he is from the Gedo clan, schooled in the Siyadist theories(his thesis) and worked as assistent on an embassy. What did you guys hope, that he would become Siyad Barre II and bring salvation to the State destroyed by the same regime that this guy served in? That he would somehow reconstruct what he(or his regime) helped to destroyed.

Ever considered the idea that the State collapsed, because it was flawed?

Ilaahay ha idiin gargaaro.