Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Hargaysa: Somaliland releases Russian crew - loot uniforms equipment..so much for the bravado

Somaliland releases Russian crew

Six Russian crew members given suspended one-year sentences for trying to fly arms into Puntland region

Friday, December 31, 2010

Six Russians have been released by a court in Somaliland after being sentenced to one-year suspended prison sentences for entering the enclave's airspace illegally and landing a plane with military supplies in violation of a UN embargo.

In his ruling on Thursday at the court in the city of of Hargeisa, judge Abdirqahman Jama Hayan also fined each man three million Somaliland shillings, or around $600.

The six Russians were arrested earlier this month after they landed an Antonov-24 cargo plane at the Egal International Airport on December 10.

Two South African citizens on board the plane have since been released.

The cargo on the flight also reportedly included bullet and grenade pouches.

Aden Ahmed Diriye, assistant general prosecutor, told the court that claims by the crew that an emergency landing was necessary because the plane was suffering from a fuel shortage were false.

Kadar Mohamed Guleid, the Russians' lawyer, said he was satisfied by the verdict and would not appeal.

All of the weapons on the plane will be confiscated, the judge announced.

Somaliland declared itself independent from Somalia in 1991 following violent crackdowns against local people by

President Siad Barre, who led Somalia from 1969 until his downfall in 1991, which precipitated the war that still engulfs the country.

Puntland, which unlike Somaliland does not seek recognition as an independent state, was formed in 1998.

Somaliland is involved in a border dispute with Puntland and the two security forces sometimes clash.

Source: Agencies

NGONGE   

It's the same story, Duke. I thought you were not interested. :D

At any rate, I already gave you my opinion on this here:

NGONGE;684145 wrote:
^^ I agree. I think a year in jail is too much, they were only pilots.
:(

But what about the South African story? War xishoodka jooji oo ila hadal dee.

Now, tell me what PL is saying. Come on, don't run saaxib. :D

^^^Puntland is celebrating the end of the most successful Somali event since 1991..

Hunger for uniforms and attention seeking antics of the secessionists is not an issue, Puntland needs to worry about.

Saalax   

Well atleast Bintiland is not getting their equipments back. That should teach them a lesson, make sure next time planes destined to you are fully loaded in fuel.

Six Russians have been released by a court in Somaliland after being sentenced to one-year suspended prison sentences for entering the enclave's airspace illegally and landing a plane with military supplies in violation of a UN embargo.

Am I reading this right? What happened? loooooooooooooooooooooooooooolz

Waxaan maqli jiray ilaahay Maya iyo Haa halmar hanaga wada yeersiin, waji xumo weeynaa looooooolz

Kool_Kat   

UZTAAD;684456 wrote:
waa reer cuqdad iyo cabsi ka buuxsameen marka
ha ku ciil baxeen xoogaagaas dharka iyo kabahaas

lol_cat-12926.jpg

Thursday baa lagu xakumay sanad xarig ah, Fridayna waa la soo daayay! Sanad intaa ka orod badan ebidkey ma arkin...At the very least ilaa Sabti mexey usugi waayeen, markaas walba indhaha waxaan ku baaso baaseyn leheyn 2010 in laxiray oo 2011 lasoo daayay...Agah!

Now, tell me what PL is saying. Come on, don't run saaxib

Nothing, you have to admit that Farool won this round :). and I noticed you are avioding to comment on Farool's success in Growe, namley the successsful conclusion of the Somali Footbal tournmnet.

The loss of uniforms is a loss for the training company, Puntland lost nothing. What Somaliland lost is its reputation and showed its weakness. They should have listened to those ministers who advised not to make this issue a big deal.

Peace Action;684608 wrote:

Nothing, you have to admit that Farool won this round
:)
. and I noticed you are avioding to comment on Farool's success in Growe, namley the successsful conclusion of the Somali Footbal tournmnet.

The loss of uniforms is a loss for the training company, Puntland lost nothing. What Somaliland lost is its reputation and showed its weakness. They should have listened to those ministers who advised not to make this issue a big deal.

Well said