Sign in to follow this  
abdulraheem

WHO'S GONNA WIN THE CHAMPS LEAGUE THIS SEASON?

Baaniyal   

goodness i hate italian teams. Did you guys see how boring their play was last night in madrid? They bored the shit out of Real, Zidane was even grining. I don't know shujui how can you keep watching that nonsense. It's a horror show for a neutral. Compare that to the Manu-Real game, damn what a difference. Yes italian teams are excellent tactitians, but they are not for watching. Damn i enjoyed the CL the last three years when italian teams were eleminated early, but now we might have an all spaghetti final. Am already yawning, don't be suprised if Juve beat Real at the Delle Alpi, with a boring 1-0 scoreline.

I don't know shujui how can you keep watching that nonsense. It's a horror show for a neutral.

Com'on bruv give them credit. And you convienantly forget that for the best part of the game Juve looked the more threatening. And yet again they somehow managed to keep Zizu ineffective.

What is horrible to you is beautiful to me. LOL absoulte Professional Total football. Thats why i luv my Italian football they really know how to shut teams down and impose their own style of football on them. Cachtenrio is what is called ( the art of total defending) and there are no teams better at this than the italians.

Now Compare Man u (a good team who lost heavily 3-1)) and Juve who could have won yesturday had they taken some of there missd chances.

Besides for all of the Hype about real Juve came out with the crucila away goal and they limited Real to just 2 (one being off side). Remeber my predictions Bple its still gonna be tight, but with Davids, Montero and Tachanardi comeing back for Juve, and Real perhaps missing Raul and Ronlado i can see Juve goign all they way.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Bianconeri proud of performance Tuesday 6 May, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus may have emerged defeated from the Bernabeu, but the Bianconeri stars are happy to have played on level terms with Real.

“The positive thing about this game,” noted David Trezeguet, “is that we can play on level terms with Real Madrid and can certainly get the better of them in a week’s time.”

Trezeguet’s goal could prove decisive over the two legs of this Champions’ League semi-final.

“It was certainly a wonderful moment for me,” said the Frenchman. “To score a goal for Juventus and in such an important match is the best you can ask for.”

The Spaniards ran out 2-1 winners, but it was a relatively even match at the Santiago Bernabeu.

“This was a crucial game for us as we put Real under pressure. That is an important thing to know for the second leg.”

Trezeguet’s season has been peppered with knee and shoulder problems throughout the campaign.

“I have had many injuries and during the season the team was forced to play differently without me.”

“I too have adapted to the new system and track back a lot more. Overall it was a good performance and we feel very confident going into the second leg.”

The two teams will meet again at the Stadio Delle Alpi next Wednesday evening.

“The 2-1 result means we have nothing to lose,” continued Trezeguet, “and want to give the fans in Turin something to cheer about.”

“My away goal is an important thing to focus on as it gives us real hope for the second leg.”

Gianluca Zambrotta was one of the most impressive players, particularly in the second half.

“The worst thing about this match,” said the ex-Bari man, “was that we conceded a goal during our best period of play.”

“Nonetheless, we have another 90 minutes to make up for it and will give 100 per cent at the Delle Alpi.”

The winner from Roberto Carlos caused controversy as the linesman had flagged three players offside, but the Norwegian referee overruled his assistant.

“I don’t think they were interfering with play as the ball flew straight in to the goal,” insisted the Brazilian.

“We won the match and that is the important thing. We hope to replicate this performance in Turin.”

The World Cup winner was asked to name the Finalists, but laughed it off with a joke.

“Well one of us will definitely be there. Will that do as a prediction?”

Both Real Madrid goals were scored by ex-Inter men and Carlos has certainly not forgotten his time at the San Siro.

“I hope that Inter do very well on Wednesday, but it won’t be easy as Milan are an extremely strong team.”

Antonio Conte also paused to question the Roberto Carlos winner and the way in which the decision was made.

“It was certainly a strange scenario to see a linesman with his flag up only to change his mind,” commented the midfielder.

“The away goal is certainly something that can boost our confidence and tonight we proved that Juventus can play on level terms with Real Madrid.”

Conte was spotted chatting with old friend Zidane after the final whistle and warmly greeted his former teammate.

“I spoke with Zidane before, during and after the match. He confirmed tonight that he is the greatest player in the world.”

Zidane himself also spoke with the Italian press after some controversial comments during the week.

“I kept a good rapport with everyone at the club and I am always happy to see them again.”

“We won so I am obviously happy,” said the Frenchman, “but Juventus played well and tonight was a great game.”

“The victory was what we were after and we all know it will be a tough trip to Turin. It will all be decided there.”

Ronaldo limped off with a muscular problem, but the Spaniards hope that Raul will be back in action for the second leg.

“We shall see. Raul should certainly be back by then, but we will have to wait and see the extent of Ronaldo’s injury.”

Zidane could have opened the scoring in the first half, but Gianluigi Buffon got across well to palm out his free kick.

“He has proved yet again that he is a fantastic goalkeeper. It’s hardly a new thing for Buffon.”

Real Madrid tactician Vicente Del Bosque surprised Marcello Lippi with two strikers upfront.

“We usually play with Raul and Ronaldo upfront,” said the Coach, “so it was not really that much of a change. Juve have a solid defence and we wanted to put them under pressure.”

Del Bosque warns that their ticket to the Final is far from booked despite the fact Juve must win in the second leg.

“We know that the tie will be decided in Turin. It was an intense game with some very good football.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

So whats the predictions for tonights Milan derby. Com'on ppl who will join Juventus in the Final :D

WingA   

half time at the san siro, its a good game but no goals and i hope inter dont get that away goal!!

AC Milan for CL!!

peez..

Man after watchin yesturdays match and seeing rivaldo on teh bench yet again i hope Milan go out in the 2nd leh.

Besides both teams yesturday showed that they are not good enough to beat Juve, and most deffinately Not Real.

Baaniyal   

Since when was defending like maniacs called an art? Goodness i lost my hair watching the milanese teams play. Absolute yawner, expect more of the same on tuesday,and i hope juve come out of their shell at home atleast. Again this is the CL and not Seria A, CL watchers are most of the time neutrals. But anyways down with the "catenaccio", they have ruined the CL,lol.

http://www.uefa.com/magazine/News/Kind=2048/newsId=68151.html

Since when was defending like maniacs called an
art

I thnk the following article will adress the above bro ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The case for the defence

By Raphael Honigstein

A spectre is haunting Europe. Its name is

catenaccio . The Italian art of defensive football - some would call it a dark art - is making a comeback. Take this week's UEFA Champions League semi-final first legs. The 0-0 draw in the Milan derby and Juventus FC's 2-1 defeat at Real Madrid CF both owed more to resilience and relentless defensive work than attacking flair.

Negative approach

With Italian sides having failed to live up to their high standards in club competitions in recent years, many experts, like former AC Milan coach Arrigo Sacchi, demanded a new and much more positive approach. Yet instead of the envisaged revolution we have seen a drastic return to old roots: Héctor Cúper's dogged Internazionale FC - and to a lesser extent the well-organised Juventus - have been playing a kind of negative game last seen in the days of black-and-white television. Even Milan, long distinguished for their relatively free-flowing football, have become less and less adventurous as the Champions League has progressed.

If all teams played like that, football could disappear altogether

Rafael Benítez on Inter

'The death of football'

Italian fans have enjoyed the renewed success of their teams but others are less sympathetic. "If all teams played like that, football could disappear altogether," said disappointed Valencia CF coach Rafael Benítez after his team lost their quarter-final against Inter on the away goals rule following a 2-2 aggregate draw. "The stadiums would be empty because no one would come and pay to see this kind of thing. They are the death of football."

Result orientated

A little uncharitable, perhaps, but in the tribal warfare that is Serie A, winning games and titles has always been more important than pretty football. Unlike in England and Spain, Italian fans, 'tifosi', do not demand non-stop attacking football - they care more about the result. Victory is a must - entertainment and style are just an occasional bonus.

Absolute certainty

Maybe this can be explained by looking at the Italian way of life. The constantly-evolving Italian passion for style, fashion, food and all matters pertaining to good taste merges with the regular bouts of political uncertainty to create an environment where everything is in a constant state of flux. Hardly surprising, then, that tifosi demand absolute certainty from their escapist treat of choice. Catenaccio may not be great to watch, but it is a sure-fire means of grinding out results.

Progressive approach

This emphasis on getting the right result at any cost brings us back to Juventus and the Milanese sides. While all the talk was about the attacking style shown by so many teams in the group stages, the Serie A clubs obviously noticed that only the improbably wealthy Madrid have been able to win trophies with flair in recent years. Other teams who tried to emulate their tactics have once again fallen by the wayside. Look at FC Barcelona, look at Arsenal FC, look at Manchester United FC, look, even, at FC Bayern München: the self-styled 'white ballet' saw their new, more progressive approach fail dramatically in the Champions League.

Stunningly effective

By contrast, catenaccio might not entertain but it is stunningly effective. The likes of Benítez may decry the trademark Italian style, but it is on the pitch where the critics must do the talking. Until coaches can discover a style which can categorically destroy the effectiveness of that the defensive method, catenaccio will refuse to melt back into history.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

RaMpAgE   

I can't believe they let "away goals rule" decide a game which had that much improtance.

They should change the away goal rule in the semi final, what u think normads?

INTER deserved too win that match redface.gif

WingA   

Nuttella!!

looks-like your BAD luck mate!! i just hope you dont support AC next..lool.. dont worry about it mate its not your fault you support losers ;)

Milan for CL

peez..

RaMpAgE   

LOOOL@WINGER...saxiib i rather die than support AC! i think out of all the teams that got into the semiz, INTER deserved too win, but hey tahts football.

Yes iam a sore loser, just till next may , when the tides turn:p

WingA   

what a game!!

i think Baaniyal is eating he's words about italian teams being boring, even duh sometimes they are but a great performance from Juve and well done to a 1st all italian CL Final!!

AC Milan for the Cup!!

And unlucky Nedved, even duh your great player am happy to see you miss the final ;)

peez..

Baaniyal   

eating my words winger,ya right. What i spoke about, was headlined in every football news outlet. I was just merely repeating it in this forum. My ideas wasn't opinionated,but driven from other media sources. Today's game was an exceptional game,and i have never seen an italian team play like the way Juve played today, except for the early 90's Ac Milan sides. Juve needed a great attacking side like Real ,who are also probably the second worst defenders in the CL, for them to play such a perfect game. One thing for sure is,it will be a long time again before you see an italian club play such a perfect an dbalanced game. Juve were invincible,they really amazed me. Shame Nedved will miss the final,easily he takes the top player award for this season's Cl campaign. And should be among the top three for the player of the year award. Sheesh an all spaghetti final,well i know for sure both teams deserved their places in the final, but i will have to go with Juve in this one. They have that element of luck on their side(Buffon penalty save). Still you won't catch me watching seria A next season,lol.