Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Now courts say no to talks: Government agrees..

Somalia's Islamic militia rebuffs U.N.

By CHRIS TOMLINSON Associated Press Writer

© 2006 The Associated Press

MOGADISHU, Somalia — The leader of the Islamic militia that has taken hold of southern Somalia on Tuesday rebuffed a U.N. plan for peace talks with the government, saying he will not negotiate until the government expels all foreign troops.

"Until Ethiopian troops leave Somali soil, we will never negotiate with the government," said Islamic militia leader Sheik Hassan Dahir Aweys.

Both Somali government leaders and the Ethiopia's Foreign Ministry have denied Ethiopian soldiers were in Somalia. However, many witnesses have confirmed their presence, in uniform.

Tuesday's statement by Aweys was the latest downward turn in an increasingly difficult international effort to negotiate peace between the powerful Islamic militants and the weak government, which has international support but no military.

It came as a U.N. envoy was in Somalia on Tuesday trying to arrange peace talks in Sudan aimed at avoiding more fighting in Somalia and a potentially bigger conflagration.

While Aweys, who has been accused by Somali secular leaders and the West of links to al-Qaida, ruled out any talks, a more moderate member of his Supreme Islamic Courts Council left open the possibility.

After meeting in Mogadishu with Francois Lonseny Fall, the U.N. special representative to Somalia, Sheik Sharif Sheik Ahmed said the group's "peace committee" still had to consider the United Nations' call for negotiations, which would be held next week in Khartoum.

In an apparent acknowledgement that Ethiopian troops were complicating peace efforts, Fall told reporters: "The U.N. is always calling on maximum restraint from neighboring countries and for them not to interfere at this particular moment in Somalia."

He also praised the Islamic union. After seeing the streets of Mogadishu without roadblocks or gunmen, he said it had "achieved great things in Mogadishu. I have seen it."

The troops from neighboring Ethiopia crossed into Somalia five days ago to protect Somalia's government at Baidoa, 150 miles northwest of Mogadishu, from advancing Islamic militants. The arrival of the Ethiopians heightened tensions among Somalis because Ethiopia, a largely Christian country, is the longtime enemy of Somalia, which is mostly Muslim.

A round of peace talks that had been scheduled Saturday fell apart when the government refused to attend and the Islamic group walked out. The government and the fundamentalist Islamic militias reached a "nonaggression pact" in June, but the Islamic group has made clear that it sees itself as the country's main authority.

The Islamic militia's seizure of power has prompted grave concerns in the United States, which accuses the group of harboring al-Qaida leaders responsible for deadly 1998 bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.

Fall also met with the government in Baidoa _ the only town controlled by the government _ where a top official said it was ready for the talks.

"We will go to Khartoum without any preconditions," Abdirizak Adam, President Abdullahi Yusuf's chief of staff, said after the meeting in the presidential compound, which was surrounded by hundreds of soldiers in mismatched uniforms. The meeting room had plush furniture, wall-to-wall carpet and heavy curtain blocking out almost all outside light.

A government spokesman said talks still could go on with moderate members of the Islamic militia, even if Aweys was rejecting them.

"Aweys is a terrorist, so it not surprising that he is refusing talks," Salad Ali Jeeley said. "We hope the moderate Islamists will attend the meeting."

Somalia has been without an effective central government since warlords toppled dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991 and then turned on each other, carving much of the country into armed camps ruled by violence and clan law.

The government was established almost two years ago with the support of the U.N. to serve as a transitional body to help Somalia emerge from anarchy. But the leadership, which includes some warlords linked to the violence of the past, has failed to establish any power.

___

Associated Press writers Salad Duhul and Mohamed Sheikh Nor in Mogadishu, Mohamed Olad Hassan in Baidoa and Les Neuhaus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, contributed to this report.

Hasan Dahir Aweys oo diiday inay ka qaybgalaan wadahadalada Khartoum

Posted to the MOL July 25, 2006, 11:57 am

Hogaamiyaha Maxkamadaha Islaamiga ah ee Muqdisho, Sheekh Xasan Daahir Aweys ayaa sheegay in Midowga Maxkamaduhu uusan wadahadal nabadeed layeelanayn DKF Somaliya ayadoo ay xukuumadduna aqbashay inay ka qaybgasho wadahadalada lagu wado inay ka furmaan magaalada Khartoum, ayadoo wax shuruuda ah aan ku xiraynin.

Sheekh Xasan ayaa sheegay in joogitaanka ciidamada Ethiopia gudaha Somaliya ay burburisay fursaddii lagu heli lahaa Nabad.

“Inta ay ka tagayaan ciidamada Ethiopia ciidda Somaliya, lama wadaxaajoonayno Dowladda Kumeelgaarka ah†ayuu yiri Sheekh Aweys.

Diidmadan ayaa kusoo aaday xilli uu kulamo layeeshay labada dhinacba, Safiirka Qaramada Midoobay uqaabilsan arimaha Somaliya, Ambasador Francois Loseny Fall, oo booqasho kutagay maanta magaalada Baydhabo iyo Muqdisho.

Dowladda KF Somaliya ayaa sheegtay inaysan Somaliya ku sugnayn ciidamo Itoobiyaan ah. Hadalka sheekh Aweysna wuxuu ku dhacayaa dhago aan furnayn, maadama aysan xukuumaddu qirsanayn in ciidamo Itoobiyaan ah ay kusugan yihin gudaha Somaliya. Balse Sheekha ayaa doonaya inuu khasab uga dhigo DKF inay qirato inay ciidamo keentay magaalada Baydhabo, taasoo hadhowna ku adkaan doonta inay dafirto. Labada dhinacba waxay isku eedaynayaan in Ciidamo Ajnabi ah keeneen gudaha dalka.

Maxkamadaha ayaa horay loogu eedeeyey inay adeegsanayaan calool ushaqaystayaal Ajnabi ah iyo wadaado carbeed oo iyagu ajar doon ah. Wakaaladda wararka ee Associated press ayaa horaantii bishaan sheegtay inay heshay cajalad fiidyow ah oo muujinaysa Mintidiin carbeed oo udagaalamaya Maxkamadaha Islamiga xiligii magaalada Muqdisho ay ka saareen hogaamiyaal kooxeedyadii hore.

Dowladda Eritrea aya lagu soo waramayaa inay ciidamo iyo hub ba gaysay Somaliya, ayadoo taageeraysa Maxkamadaha.

Diblomaasiyin ku xeeldheer arimaha milatariga ayaa ka digay in dagaal dhexmaraa Xukumadda iyo Maxkamadaha uu ku baahi karo Gobolka oodhan.

Amin/Agencies

Mudugonline.com

Thierry.   

Nobody is attacking the government sunshine, this a reasonable request that the courts made long ago when they stabilized Mogadisho.

If the TFG wants to negotiate then there would be no need for Ethiopian presence.

All they have to do is tell them to cross back to their side of the border. I am sure the Courts will come back to Khartoum faster than fighter jet with no conditions.

Ps Naxar you seem to be using the word terrorist almost every time u speak of the courts.

Here is an Oxford dictionary meaning of the word and you tell me who it applies to

Terrorism: the killing of ordinary people for political purpose

Terrorize: to make somebody feel frightened by using or threatening to use violence against him/her

I am sure you are a man of understanding but to me these definitions refer to the men who where chased out of Mogadisho and are now distinguished guest of the TFG

(but that’s just one mans opinion)

in my understanding (a student of political science) the word terrorist has two meanings.

one is the political use of violence by non state actors suchs as rebels.

the second and more recent common understanding of terrorist is amember of jihadi or religous extremist who use violance for politcal gain.

It shoud be clear to you now who are the terrorist.

as for that government should do this or that, I believe you are wrong. One, the government sided with what it believed to be a poeples uprising in mogadishu. This was hijacted by terrorist such as aweeys and indo who have made clear time and again that they want to overthrow the intrm government. None the less, the government headed to the sudanese capital and made some agreements with these wadaads. Not only did they break every one of those basic agreements such as session of hostilities, they brought troops to a place few kilometers away from the base of the government. Ya gardaren labada? It makes no sense to me to attack an entity, than tell them how to defind themselfs, does it to you. Furthermore, it seems to me that the one entity that has not broken the agreements and has not attacked anyone should be the one to set preconditions to any new negotiations for the other entity has showned that the will break their agreements. Should the courts not want to negotiate, even better. The TFG should not even negotiate with any new factions anyway, that was done for over two years. should these people have any grievences, they should address through their representatives in parliament. We are islamics is not an excuse, by the way for those of you who bothered to read the charter, the prime source of law according to the charter is the shariah.

RedSea   

THE Ethiopian troops must leave Somalia in order for any sort of agreements to take place, that is the reason for refusal. But as long as the non functioning so called government continues to have Ethiopian military personal in Somalia, then what is the point of having any agreements.

Wiilo   

The UIC should not have any talks with the TNG until the Ethiopian Troops leave Somalia.

There is no piont of any talk when the Ethiopian Troops are present in Somalia. Ethiopia have no business in staying in Somalia, therefore, the TNG needs to realize that if they want to exist they should cut ties (Don't know how they are going to do that when they have signed an agreement with the Xabasho to sell out the country) with the Ethiopian regime.

Go figure:........

RedSea   

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

To RS, If there are ethiopians, UIC hostility has brought it. Do u really thing that it is wise to demand an end to an effect before what cause it?

The bottomline is kiddo that Ethiopia should have nothing to do with neither the cause or the effect of the Somali politics. The courts are Somalis and so are the TFG, therefore, it only makes sense that THEY come to agreements without the presence of Ethiopia.

I have to ask you Sir though, that since this nonfunctioning of so called transitional government was created in order to serve the people, then shouldn't they be responding to the demand of the people, in which most of the Somali people except few who are siding with A/dullahi Yusuf for clan purposes and money said that they want no foreing troops to be brought into their country, but Col. Yey brought them anyway without any regard to the wants of his people?

The bottomline is that Ethiopia should comply with AU and international laws and they must respect the borders of other countries. It doesn't make sense that Abdullahi Yusuf yells the "courts are coming" as in emergency call and all of sudden Ethiopia troops cross the border into a country of not their own without a regard to any internationally existing laws which apply to other African peace keeping forces.

The courts might have beaten the warlords of Xamar easily but I doubt they will try and attack Kismayu.

Horn, I like the Idamaale citation, nicely done.. :D

RS, there are several things wrong with what you say. Furthermore, i have yet to understand how you and others determine what the "people" want as you continue to speak for the "people". Second, self defense is a right of all. Ethiopia has a right to defind itself from those whose goals are its destruction and with these taliban-like wadaads in xamar, they have a reason to believe they have such an enemy. another, any government of a nation can invite a foreign power to assist them unless the law of that nation forbids it. There is no such law and parliament approved the requist of the government to get such an asiistance. thirdly, we have no border with Ethiopia in the south. who made this border you are talking about? Lastly, any interim government which does not have disarmement of the masses as its main goal is a useless government. For all those here who are making all this fuss about foreign troops, as if the very people who have destroyed the country all the sudden care about the country enough to be offended by foreign troops intering the country, how are people to be disarmed without these foreign troops? Aniga waxey ilatahay dacaayada iyo cadowsiga wadamaden noo so gargarey in laga dayo aya fiican.

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

RS, there are several things wrong with what you say. Furthermore, i have yet to understand how you and others determine what the "people" want as you continue to speak for the "people". Second, self defense is a right of all. Ethiopia has a right to defind itself from those whose goals are its destruction and with these taliban-like wadaads in xamar, they have a reason to believe they have such an enemy. another, any government of a nation can invite a foreign power to assist them unless the law of that nation forbids it. There is no such law and parliament approved the requist of the government to get such an asiistance. thirdly, we have no border with Ethiopia in the south. who made this border you are talking about? Lastly, any interim government which does not have disarmement of the masses as its main goal is a useless government. For all those here who are making all this fuss about foreign troops, as if the very people who have destroyed the country all the sudden care about the country enough to be offended by foreign troops intering the country, how are people to be disarmed without these foreign troops? Aniga waxey ilatahay dacaayada iyo cadowsiga wadamaden noo so gargarey in laga dayo aya fiican.

OK,so u have a problem with the wadaads and u think that they are taliban like,cool.One thing that is said in the above post almost disappointed me for i never expected to see a somalian to claim that ethiopia has a right to defend itself from the sovereignity of his very own pple..What is the threat towards ethiopia but our peace in which we have lost through tribal influences?Men,Women and even little children have been killed for tribal stuff and now that we have a pple among us who say that they are going to lead us and save us from our own evils is what u call taliban like wadaads from which ethiopia has to protect itself.Now that is disappointing.I don't see any harm in international peace keepers for a government needs force but do we need ethiopia? And lets say that the government needs force,who is going to disarm?The courts or the warlords and the mooriyan criminals?The warlords are the government headed by His majesty the king of warlords himself and the mooriyans are his soldiers marka sxb,kuwa larabay in shaqo lagaqabto ayaa rabo in ee ayaga dadka hubka ka dhigan.Meeshan mooriyanti waa laga buriyay,kuwi soo harayna doolada ayee dabada kaga jiraan.And those are the same ones that claim they will make things right.I simply disagree with ur post inregards to ur claims.I hope u see it that way.

P.s.Neither do i support the government nor the icu. :rolleyes:

one the president is not a warlord. Under that criteria everyone would be one. he was a president, and elected on of all things in africa as the head of puntland state, so willo you drop that tired old line. Second, the government would disarm everyone, no only moryans and wadaads (who ever heard an armed wadaad). Lastly, meles was a somali supported rebel. What he has done thus far has gotten him a lot of admirers around the world. we can foult him for definding his country or the interst of his nation, how bout we think a little bit more our national interest rather than wasting time with itobiya aya so socota!

RedSea   

My friend for the last time there is no such thing as a government and a President existing in Somalia, the courts are the only hope for governance in this war torn nation in the horn of Africa.It's already evident through the most of memebers here from the South who support the courts that they there is large support for the courts in Somalia more so than the TFG.

in addition, you said that Ethiopia has the right to defend itself, well no one is against that, but they need to do in their own turf not on somali soil. This isn't about Ethiopia defending itself but rather it's a naked agression against the will of the Somali people, but I have no issue if an individual like you says otherwise here and there for your say in this is really irrevelent.

Well it's hard to tell people to think rational, when in turn you being irrational and coming up with really ****** points in your writing, maybe being rational is not part of your thought process, so I would suggest to you that you use little of your cerebral facility before you vomit player.

Lastly, you just shot yourself in the foot, so I would ask you who were the people who destroyed the country and now all of sudden elected to be "leaders"? are they not Abduallhi Yusuf, Qanyare Afrax, Xuseen Caydiid and many more in the parliament of the so call "government"?

So long.