Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

Time for New Leadership in Puntland

Taleexi   

It is not a news to many that PL is being behaving weirdly lately in regards to its deliberations, pretty much its day-to-day activities lacked objectivity and substance and were a roller coaster like... However, considering this situation... the editorial board of WDN took the initiative and dedicated their latest editorial to square away this relevant issue once and for all.

Pls, share with me an excerpt of the editorial......

..... There was high hope when Gen. Cadde won the election on January, 2005. In Post Abdillahi Yusuf’s iron fist rule, many envisioned Puntland to thrive as a center for commerce and land of opportunities while the General is at the helm. His many years of residence in a Democratic country, Canada, created the hope that Gen. Cadde would be well equipped to tackle the pressing issues of the State and lead Puntland to peace, socio-economic development and prosperity. Regrettably, soon after he took power, his incompetence and lack of leadership qualities became quite evident......

Read the full article here

Allow me to rephrase your noble sentiment yaa MM. It’s time for new leadership for Somalia. New leadership in Puntland alone would be incomplete, if not utterly ineffective, as long Somalia is in its current state---even if good, decent men take the helm of Puntland’s leadership.

It’s about time we think outside of the box, and state the truth: no region in Somalia could operate agnostic to the politics that surround it. If it does, it would probably cause it for its political existence. As we slowly drift into our current train of uncertainty, the significance the so-called pockets of stability have in Somalia’s political settings (of which Puntland and Somaliland has been noticeably its lead) will gradually wane.

The solution you are seeking lies not in gradual building blocks [with diverging political/tribal interests] as neocons prescribed, but rather it could be readily found in singleton strategy. Short of comprehensive strategy that addresses the country as a single political unit, no one entity, however well managed and well intended, could come out unscathed from the current Somali tragedy.

Lest my words are construed as a support of Cadde’s current admin or any other entity, let me say this. Cadde, without a shred of doubt, has been a clausal failure. So has the old man. So has Riyaale. So have the Southern leaders---of course with a varying degree. But in my mind, it should not be a change of personnel in those crumpling presidential buildings/palaces that which we seek, rather we should seek a change in the prevailing political attitude. And in that verse, all the wolves shall go.

I am in agreement with MM. Puntland needs new leadership. Xiin also has a point. However I tend to remmeber the new IBM add, which centres on the slogan. "Stop talking and start doing".

Its time to start doing..

Taleexi   

Dear Mr. XF, You took the thesis of my argument to the next level, by doing so you squeezed myself into a corner and made me to deal with the scope creep of the relevant issue.. to that end I must admit that our respective positions are somewhat complimentary to one another therefore if what I am after, being the change of PL leadership for the better, is achieved, the dominion of Somali dilemma is shrunk,doesn't it?.

Having said that, let us remind ourselves that Somalia is still a failed nation and I am not gonna dwell all problems that emerge as nations fail however, Somalia is a unique nation because the pundits of conflict resolution settings have been struggling quite awhile to understand and crack the code of why Somalis can’t get alone, they say “a homogeneous people” so attached, all being distanced cousins, look like each other, same faith and religion what the heck.. this homogeneity definitely did not serve somalis’ interest and had its toll on us.

If I narrow my point of view, any sane person would agree with you that we, Somalis, are lacking a charismatic leader who is visionary, and can see beyond clanism, and regionalism but since that “Mahdi” is yet to come, wouldn’t you think the better leadership that the local administrations (PL & SL) have, the better off we all will be?. Hence I am just a satisfiser considering how to achieve a lasting peace in Somalia rather than being optimizer.

The emergence of better leadership coupled with transparent government in PL is < problems for Somalia reconciliation process.

Dear MJ. Waleed, “Puntland is dead horse. You can't be state within a state.” you are putting the cart before the horse so, please be a decent Nomad and be mind the civility and modest of the discussion are likable virtue activities

Ramadan Kareem to all SOL Nomads

If I may advice, if we are to aviod whats been happening in somalia and the puntland state of Somalia, i think we should stay away from three things.

first, we need to stop this cult of personality. "we need this one guy to come in and safe us from the mess that we are in". Cade muuse and president Yusuf are one member each of large institions that we have created and it is those institions and their laws that have allowed them to do what you are disagreeing with. if you want to get to the bottom of the problem, you need to change the laws and the institions the govern instead of the people that run those institions.

Second, it is the way of the africans to elect someone and for whatever reason, demand that they be changed when they find reason to dislike them. president cade muse was elected. if you don't like what he is doing, make sure that next time you elect a better person for the job. worse case, find a legal case to get rid of him and convince parliament of it and not just because decide you don't like him anymore. and this none sense that puntland will fail or succeed because of one man puts a little to much faith in the ability of one man.

lastly, we must not prescribe from a book for a patient we have not seen. this, in short, means that we must be considerate of the environment in which those people are working, clearly different from the one most of us are sitting in.

RedSea   

Puntland made the wrong investments with a project doomed to fail in the first place in the TFG, and now they are spining out of control. WAXBADSO, WAXBEEL AYEY KEENTAA.

Puntland is dead? According to a secessionist, lool. Adeer, Puntland and the TFG are much stronger than at anytime in their respective history.

The man of honour [NN], made the only real valid points here when he said and I quote.

first, we need to stop this cult of personality. "we need this one guy to come in and safe us from the mess that we are in". Cade muuse and president Yusuf are one member each of large institions that we have created and it is those institions and their laws that have allowed them to do what you are disagreeing with. if you want to get to the bottom of the problem, you need to change the laws and the institions the govern instead of the people that run those institions.

I salute you sir. ;)

RedSea   

^Hakuu macaanato then..

Besides Puntland and the TFG are the same thing. Puntland was once automous state which was respected but it has become the launching pad for Ethiopia. They are 1 stooge institution.

Jacalow,

Okay replace you know who with you know who and will see what comes about.lol

Taleexi   

Dear Mr. Naxar_Nugaaleed, Your argument reminds me when prophet Ibrahim (PBUH) was calling his people in one point of time and said, of course, when loosely translated," Maa Uriiddu an ukhaalifakum ilaa maa anhaa minkum canhu", I don't want to differ you except those things I warned you not to do... In the same token, I and like-minded people, all we are asking is the reciprocation of what the respective constitutions are calling for and caring the plight of the citizens.

It is not out of love that I hate these guys but I've genuine concerns about their actions, which are very fluid... For instance you raised an issue saying that we should seek making changes in the proper channels. No problem, but what proper channels are there when the head of state, in this case President Adde doesn't have any respect for the constitution and his subjects... It is just beyond me when some of us try to defend the indefensible.

[ September 15, 2007, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Mansa Munsa ]

Red Sea, adeer whats all the noise for? Who are you trying to convince? Me, lool. Puntland state is part of Somalia's Federal framework.

Thus what you respect, or like, or hate is neither here nor there.