Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Secessionist ‘Somaliland’ Embarks on a Dangerous Course of Desperation

Sophist   

Secessionist ‘Somaliland’ Embarks on a Dangerous Course of Desperation

April 14, 2007

For Immediate Release

The unfortunate, but internecine, conflict raging in Mogadishu between the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) and its opponents as well as developments elsewhere in the country have apparently thrown the secessionist camp in Somalia’s Northwestern Region (‘Somaliland') into disarray and confusion.

Early this year the secessionist camp made a series of demonstrations in the UK, followed by a petition to the British Prime Minister to recognize the enclave – a petition which was naturally denied.

The secessionists have now – perhaps as a result of that denial – abandoned their claim to peace and quiet in contrast to “southern Somalia,” and have opted for a belligerent policy designed to bring two pro-Unity northern regions, Sool, Sanaag and Cayn (which rejected their secessionists’ project) within their camp through military conquest so as to demonstrate to the outside world that they control the entire area of what used to be called British Somaliland. Fully aware that Hargeisa does not have the ability to do that, perhaps this is a Machiavellian effort to instigate and drag the fully engaged TFG into a new conflict in the northern regions.

Accordingly, mobilizing from far away Hargeisa, the Secessionists tried during the past two weeks to make armed incursions into some of the towns and villages such as Huddun, Awr Boogeys and Dhahar only to be rebuffed by the local populations. The bulk of their militia is made up of former SNM militia re-cast as a ‘Somaliland’ national army.

At the same time the secessionists spared no effort in adding fuel to the fire raging in our national capital by trying to forge an alliance, albeit false, with the ****** – a clan which is unswervingly committed to the unity and territorial integrity of our country.

We, the Northern Somalis for Peace & unity (NSPU) condemn in the strongest terms these nefarious acts on the part of the secessionists and we pray that our people throughout Somalia will surmount their difficulties and unite for peace and prosperity with a view of securing a more stable future for posterity.

Therefore, consistent with NSPU advocacy and commitment to peace and unity among all the citizens of the Somali Republic, we strongly urge and appeal to:

The international community, specially the International NGOs, the UN, the EU, IGAD, and aid Donor countries/organizations to condemn the naked aggression of the secessionists entity, Somaliland, against the peaceful population of the Sool and Sanag Region and use their influence and leverage over the Hargeisa secessionists to refrain from undermining the current international efforts to stabilize the country;

Call upon the ***** elders and intellectuals, specially those from Western Sanaag and Togdheer Regions, to condemn these heinous acts against your neighbors, which if continued, will trigger tragic conflicts which will severely impact the relative peace and stability in the area;

Call on the remnants of the Somali National Movement (SNM), an ***** militia which in the confusion that followed the collapse of the central government in 1991, orchestrated the creation of ‘Somaliland’, to shed their banner of hate and refrain from actions and words that will once again lead to a conflict among the brotherly northern clans; and

Call upon the Diaspora 'Somalilanders' and 'Somaliland' Part-time politicians, with their families safely in foreign countries (read: Faisal Waraabe, Ahmed Siilaanyo et al), to momentarily reflect on their doings and refrain from incitement and hate mongering the consequences of which may not directly affect them but will surely impact on the poor folks back home, irrespective of clan affiliation.

May peace prevail among the long-suffering people of Somalia and may a new horizon of unity prosperity and prosperity dawns on our country. And may wisdom dawn on the bearers of hate.

Sincerely,

Gamal Hassan,

Director, Communication & Public Relations

info@somaliunity.org

A.J.   

Who the heck are -Northern Somalis for Peace & unity (NSPU-

Not just a proxy group you set up your self is it mr Sophist? :D

RedSea   

Warancadeh,

They exist,but their favorite game is to bash Somaliland, that is not going to help their case.

Keynan,

Start with yourself, give up the support you have for TFG, it doesn't advocate unity, it's only creating a distance between somalis, and you know it.

RedSea   

Originally posted by Sophist:

At the same time the secessionists spared no effort in adding fuel to the fire raging in our national capital by trying to forge an alliance, albeit false, with the ****** –
a clan which is unswervingly committed to the unity and territorial integrity of our country.

If my memory serves correctly, Somaliland IS the one helping innocent civilians from Muqdisho who have found home in Somaliland whom plane was turned back by Puntland authorities. Meanwhile Puntland is the one who is rounding them up and sending them back.

On the highlighted statement, the author comes across as though he is

1. in Support of the TFG (if not, have they written to voice against the massacre in Muqdisho).

2. A qabalist, who believes that 1 clan is promoting unity and territorial integrity.

We, the Northern Somalis for Peace & unity (NSPU) condemn in the strongest terms these nefarious acts on the part of the secessionists and we pray that our people throughout Somalia will surmount their difficulties and unite for peace and prosperity with a view of securing a more stable future for posterity.

Again, have these Somali lovers, I don't want to jump to conclusion, but have tehy condemn the killing spree in Xamar?

Therefore, consistent with NSPU advocacy and commitment to peace and unity among all the citizens of the Somali Republic, we strongly urge and appeal to:

The international community, specially the International NGOs, the UN, the EU, IGAD, and aid Donor countries/organizations to condemn the naked aggression of the secessionists entity, Somaliland, against the peaceful population of the Sool and Sanag Region and use their influence and leverage over the Hargeisa secessionists to refrain from
undermining the current international efforts to stabilize the country.

I was telling mr. Che yesterday, that there is no such thing as Somalis who love their country, always qabiil loyalty comes over loyalty owed to nationhood. A great example this is. The author actually thinks that there is an 'effort' to stablize the country when in reality the world turned against those who would stabalize the country, UIC. If my understanding is correct, they believe that the TFG is legit and are making the effort to stablize somalia, if that is case, then shred this piece and recycle it.

Call on the remnants of the Somali National Movement (SNM), an ***** militia which in the confusion that followed the collapse of the central government in 1991, orchestrated the creation of ‘Somaliland’, to shed their banner of hate and refrain from actions and words that will once again lead to a conflict among the brotherly northern clans; and

The steps taken by the SNM was a positive step to bring all tribes from the North under the shades of a trea in Buroa and reconciliate. The author is very short sighted and once again doesnt recognise the value that the SNM orchatrated conference in Burco holds and being the result of the peace throughout the North today (somaliland).

May peace prevail among the long-suffering people of Somalia and may a new horizon of unity prosperity and prosperity dawns on our country. And may wisdom dawn on the bearers of hate.

Jamal Hassan, only Allah knows what is in your heart, if this is sincere sympathy which you felt for your nation and my nation, then I say Amiin.

N.O.R.F   

Ahh, somaliunity.org

I wonder if there are any articles/opinions on the current situation in the south? Any criticism of the TFG? The invasion? The raping? The indiscriminate shelling???

Thought not, so much for 'peace and unity'.

Bada Cass, i dont know why you bother saxib. You need to start seeing through it all. Connect the dots so to speak,,,,

One would respect this organisation if it displayed the same 'gusto' for the troubles in the south. Sadly it doesnt.

Xoogsade   

^ Red Sea is doing a good job bro, don't discourage him from contributing. He highlighted some good points. Does the organization condemn the Xabashi invasion of the country? the word "stabilization" in their article to describe the TFG genocide is hypocritical. There is no stabilization going on but utter instability in where it mattered the most --> Muqdisho. Where is the article these good fellas of somali patriots condemning the TFG is? I would like to see it if there is one.

I think what Somaliland adminstration has done was based on miscalculation. They expected favourable outcomes for their cause and were proven wrong. Time to move on. Waxaa fiican, maadaama arrimaha soomaaliya qabiil ku dhisan yihiin, and clan connection tramps other common interests, in laga fogaado wixii dagaal qabiil keeni karo. Dhulka kalaaba ka badan, no need in my opinion to shed blood for the wrong reasons.

recent attempts to "Secure" the border have and will continue to back to back fire. If at all there were any Hargeisa sympathizers in SSC, please believe that there will be less and less as these incursions into to Puntland continue. As they have all ways done, Reyale and his administration is shooting itself in the foot with these attacks against the People of SSC. What "Somalilanders" need to realize quickly, is that while Reyale is busy getting his houses in Djibouti, Jidda and Cairo ready, the Only people who will be held accountable for his actions will be "Somalilander". Some of these "Somalilanders" recognize this. For example, the elders of ceerigaabo on the side of "Somaliland" asked these people who attacked Dhahar not to enter the city for fear of being dragged into a into this conflict. But if this continues, these elder of ceerigaabo will have no choice put to join their side of a new people to people, administration to administration, and clan vs. Clan conflict.

Xudeedi   

"International efforts to stabilize the country"

Xogsade,

There is a partial international effort that is geared towards the stabalization of Somalia but you can't infer all that is international as an enemy to Somalia and hence, if their inference to stabalize Somalia by the article makes you suspicious of the NSPU organization , I would say that notion is simply wrong. International effort can't be interchanged with Ethiopia and its TFG in such a way as to construe asymmetrical relationships in order to give the illusion of both a fairness to the ongoing exploitation and destruction of Somalia.

Xudeedi   

"I was telling mr. Che yesterday, that there is no such thing as Somalis who love their country, always qabiil loyalty comes over loyalty owed to nationhood. A great example this is. The author actually thinks that there is an 'effort' to stablize the country when in reality the world turned against those who would stabalize the country, UIC. If my understanding is correct, they believe that the TFG is legit and are making the effort to stablize somalia, if that is case, then shred this piece and recycle it.

I have already explained that inference. The world is not equal to U.S.A and its allies. On the other hand, the article delves into what is right or wrong about the long-term goal of the seperatists and their continual pattern of failure. Equally important is how the article critiques intelligently the antithesis of their ideal state as an illusive state that is a threat to Somalia's unity and brotherhood. They systematically draft articles to negate and dissect the designs and belligerent policies of Hargeisa in pursuing a clan state in the 21

century.

I will conclude my thougts with the words of Mwalimu K. Bomani Baruti, "We can not get around this because we are dealing with the human mind, a mind subject to the conditions and biases of its upbringing and the evolved demands of its survival".

NSPU is just a desparate skeleton with computers and internet connection.

This is a desparate statement that has nothing to do with what is on the ground. The used to support the ICU but things went the other way wrong ,,,,,,, they are desparate from Somalia and can do nothing in Somaliland.

I let them enjoy writing ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Xudeedi   

Why is it so bothersome to dissect and analyze their claim and reasons. Somalia's unity is sacred and sealed. The SL entity and their determination to draw a new border by taking over Sool and Sanaag regions will never ever occur no matter how irreconcilably different the seperatists are.