Sign in to follow this  
Bokero

Are Somali’s genetically backward

Fabregas   

Bokeri, the question "Are somalis genetically backward"?Is a rhetorical question with several flaws in it.

Firstly when you say "genetically", this usually denotes a level of scientific research, taking into account D.N.A, social habits and general rigorous research.

Secondly you have not given a definition of what "Genetically backward" is.What are the essential charchteristics for a whole group of people to be considered as being "genetically backward"?

Thirdly you didn't provide any evidence of Somalis being "genetically backward".All you did was identify some social, economic and political problems that Somalis suffer from, which you observed from your travels.

Maybe we should extend the question?

Are Iraqis "genetically backwards"?

Are African Americans "genetically backward"?

Are Palestinians "genetically backwards"?

What about native indians, Rwandans and Americans/Europeans etc..........?

Castro   

^ Abu_Geeljirow, Bokero's profile says he's a researcher with interests in Politics and Development. I believe all the questions you're asking are research in progress. :D

Fabregas   

In that case you should look out for the thesis "The Genetic Backwardness of Somalis", coming soon to a Univesity, Refugee Camp or Internet forum near you.

The Marfish inhabitors cold disect the data to reveal which regions/tribes are more "genetically backwards", am sure it would excite the faraxz on sol.......

The brother is misguided may Allaah guide him to the right path! Amiin.

He is a victim of his own upbringing and western education! They brainwashed him to believe that religion is somehow backward and not worthy or compatible with modern life!

Sharia today in Somalia is a reality, it is enforced and it had been for centuries so no separtion of religion and state affairs there for you!

We are a religious people and our culture is based on Islaam and we don't believe that our beliefs are somehow backward or outdated! In fact if one utters such words they have indeed committed a grave error which can result in one renouncing his deen, if he wasn't lead by ignorance that is!

The question should have been: "Are Soomaalis socially [not genetically] backward?"

The answer is maya. It is a simple generalization that has no valid point. However, the correct suitable question that may have some relevance should be: "Are some Soomaalis socially backward that worship their clans?"

Yes, perhaps. Some Soomaali ku sheeg qabyaalad ayee caabudaan, oo Eebbe u eh, oo Eebbahooda cawo iyo habeen ka been sheego, sometimes even going far trying to use Eebbe kitaabkiisa suubban to justify where there is nothing for their backward qabyaalad caabudid.

Dadkaas, yes, they are socially backward. Dadkaas camalna lalama hadlo, oo lalama faceysto. Waa iska noole, iska neefsade adduun iyo aakhiraba midkoodba ka haray.

Bokero   

Well I am not supprised by your attacks etc… gambling addicts need a lot help before they admit to have a problem..

One: I am ethnic Somali in the sense that I am a Somali who didn’t grow-up with Somalis and no I didn’t grow up in the west… so lets end the personalising things and focus on the real issues at hand… I don’t need your affirmation nor your permission to contribute to Somali issues, after all your backward thinking has made refugee out of all of us, surely you should welcome difference voices.

Two: most of your contribution in this site in mere rhetoric, devoid of any thing progressive but merely reinforcing failed and misery policy…

Examples:::

• Continued blind support of kinship ties regardless of what the warlords or islamist do..

• Ethnic secessionism (Somaliland case) and the counter ethnic arguments again session with the aim of dominating the north-east…

• Murder of minorities ( e.g the bombing of Hargesa, and genocide agains Bantus and barava etc) by warlords supported by many here…

• The invitation of foreign power to further ethinic gains…

• The celebration of the killing of fellow Somalis!!!

• The bankruptcy of ideas from the diaspora etc etc

Three: You cannot force people to religiosity or force them to the mosque if they do not wish practice… the state should protect everyone including non-Muslims, or non-practising Muslims!!! That is called tolerance my dear, it is something we lack in abundance.. and new to many here

Four:: why r we the only people in Africa that have had the most prolonged failed state with no end to it? Before we blame the Ethiopian and the rest of the world I urge that we look at our own society, why do we produce abundant haters, intolerantance, difficult, medieval thinkers, parasites, killers, and financers of killers, professional refugees, etc? Before we attack the messenger people take a moment for self-reflection!

Bokero   

I am not supprised by your attacks etc… gambling addicts need a lot help before they admit to have a problem..

One: I am ethnic Somali in the sense that I am a Somali who didn’t grow-up with Somalis and no I didn’t grow up in the west… so lets end the personalising things and focus on the real issues at hand… I don’t need your affirmation nor your permission to contribute to Somali issues, after all your backward thinking has made refugee out of all of us, surely you should welcome difference voices.

Two: most of your contribution in this site in mere rhetoric, devoid of any thing progressive but merely reinforcing failed and misery policy…

• Continued blind support of kinship ties regardless of what the warlords or islamist do..

• Ethnic secessionism (Somaliland case) and the counter ethnic arguments again session with the aim of dominating the north-east…

• Murder of minorities ( e.g the bombing of Hargesa, and genocide agains Bantus and barava etc) by warlords supported by many here…

Three: You cannot force people to religiosity or force them to the mosque if they do not wish practice… the state should protect everyone including non-Muslims, or non-practising Muslims!!! That is called tolerance my dear, it is something we lack in abundance.. and new to many here

Four:: why r we the only people in Africa that have had the most prolonged failed state with no end to it? Before we blame the Ethiopian and the rest of the world I urge that we look at our own society, why do we produce abundant haters, intolerantance, difficult, medieval thinkers, parasites, killers, and financers of killers, professional refugees, etc? Before we attack the messenger people take a moment for self-reflection!

^Gross generalisations! but then again so was your original post. ;)

Nonetheless I will give you my welcome. Let us hope that you will be as entertaining as my favourite politics contributor, Oodweyne. :D

You’ve all become mini-fascists and use the education and articulation you have gained abroad to further the same old tired disastrous divisions and small mindedness.

Bokero, some of what you say certainly rings true.

Yet this is no new phenomenon.

Many who have benefited from the boons of living in Western society are using their gained 'education and articulation' not to seek and advocate unity, but rather stupidly, drive further rifts between us, in their pursuit of selfish goals.

Nevertheless, (perhaps naively) i am optimistic we are not genetically pre-disposed to division.

I think our past can be learnt from, and i genuinely believe the future is bright....if we can but unite for the greater good.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Bokero:

One: I am ethnic Somali in the sense that I am a Somali who didn’t grow-up with Somalis and no I didn’t grow up in the west… so lets end the personalising things and focus on the real issues at hand…

Point one seems to have been cancelled by point two. You chose to personalise things in your first post and then feigned surprise when simpletons bit your behind! Yet, you still came back in point two and personalised it again! Work on the confusion there, brother/sister.

As for point four, is that a fact? Somalis being the ONLY African people to have a prolonged failed state?

Still, lets leave facts aside for now. They’re really not that important to this discussion. First let me agree with you that Somalis are a wretched, ignorant and backward people. That we have all those vices you mentioned, and then some.

Now, what happens next?

Your heart seems to be in the right place, brother/sister. Now, just take your time and think about the reason you started this thread. What do you hope to achieve? What direction do you want it to go in?

I’m the first to agree that, sometimes, the best way to get a topic going is by being controversial and obtuse. But that sort of style will only work if you’ve given yourself an amble number of ‘emergency exits’ when writing your questionable piece. I don’t see any signs of these exits. In fact, it looks like you’ve dug yourself a hole and are struggling to wriggle out. Never fear though. A conciliatory post apologising for the misunderstanding and setting forth your reasons for starting such a topic should be enough to pacify the dogs of war. Can you do that or are you too Somali to apologise? :D