Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

War is not the Answer

J.Lee   

Although i have a question to ask some people, is it is just me or are people calling the hawd by an other name, and talking about it as if it is a piece of land that is anything but under the colonialism of ethiopia?

I've always wondered what was Cayn?

Sophist   

I hope my Adeer Samurai would not mind me taking from where he had left.

The Elites of Sool Sanaag and Hawd.

As have stated in the above post, the Somali saying goes “lax walba shililkey isdhigto ayaa lagu qalaa” If the Elites of Sool, Sanaag and Hawd have been dynamicly active in their political rights then the adolescent politician-want to be Ina Adan Adde would not have surfaced at all. The elite of this region who dominated in the Civil Service in the first decade of independence are no where to be seen. The vacuum left by such elites whose political ingenuity is much needed are indeed filled by the dim-witted chaps like Fuad Adam Adde (this man’s father was one the most prominent men who fought for the indepence of the Somali-lands and their unification—he must be turning in his grave as his legacy is being challenged by none other than his own son). The abundance of the educated men and women who hail from this area of Somalia is numerous, but the lack of leadership is astonashing. Whenever you turn on the jagged BBC Somali section you are bombared with news that is being made by other than the people of SSH on their affairs.

This must stop. History is in the making now. The shapping of Somalia to come is under way. The indifference should be got rid off, that is if they want to preserve the relative economic boom and peace that their people are enjoying.

The ubsurdity of Somaliland Adminstration who without hesitence claiming a land that belongs to the residents of SSH should be shushed. A voice of Unity and Nationalism should be resroted as your region has been the birth-giver of Somalihood. Your people had never accepted the rule of British upon their soil. The argument that Sool, Sanaag and Hawd had been a part of Somaliland is nothing short of distortion of Somali history. The longest civil strive that led to the first airbombardment in Africa took place in your land. The Elite of SSH (Sool Sanaag and Hawd) should dispel the chimera that is created by the admistration of Hargeisa.

Where should they take their people to?

The Elites must respect the collective will of their people. They should bow to the needs and wants of the common man and Isimo of SSH. They should not highjack the future of their people.

Awake the sleeping lion or the insects will suck your blood. Show youe strengh for long sleep has made us forget your power.

Cheerio

Thus Spake The Old Nomad.

Sophist

Gediid   

Its unfortunate to see people of such calibre resort to the old Somali disease of qabiil and qabyaalad.Instead of advocating for a peaceful resolution ,they scream tribal innuendos, masking it under Somali nationalism or what ever other fancy term one might come up with.

Ina Riyaale and Abdillahi Yusuf both do not care of Las canood,they dont give a rats a$$ about what happens there or who dies there,both will enjoy the comfort and peace they have in Hargeysa and Garoowe long after the war has been concluded and people have died for no other apparent reason other than 2 dumb brutal men whose only aim is to divert growing dissent among their supporters or simply because they know no other way but war.I dont think it requires an Einstein to reach such a simple conclusion.Some in here are trying hard to defend a "Wag the Dog" type of scenerio looking all stuupid while the real situation is played out with live ammunition.

My suggestions plain n simple, please before you go helter skelter in your comfortable couches living off welfare checks and shoving down our throats pure BS of who is better than who in this matter take a few moments and think about how many innocent folks will die as the result of a war??????????

And to think the death of the Dervishes came to no avail and passed in vain without much substance being derived.

Sophist – I thank you for further exploring the argument sharing those generous views. I doubt very little anyone will disagree with those statements.

The argument that Sool, Sanaag and Hawd had been a part of Somaliland is nothing short of distortion of Somali history ” this I must agree is a blasphemous, historical mis-narration primarily circulated by the likes of Dr Ghalaydh who is not only disengaged from the Somali political debates along with present-day realities in Somalia (albeit claims the title of Premier of Somalia), but also seem confused in his own political beliefs as he yoyos from one line of reasoning to another within the hour. Truly troubling, yet perhaps there lies the dilemma.

Gediid – I was hoping you would offer an opinion with regards to what one might consider a viable resolution to the predicament, yet you seem to have gyrated to the usual shooting of the persons.

Now, let us for a moment assume that I am on the wrong here, and disregard Riyaale and inaYusuf for a moment. Do you, Gediid as a Somali of Somaliland have an opinion as to how to reach a lasting resolution?

Cheers.

Gediid   

Samurai

You want a resolution ,well here is mine....

The truth lies in a vote.....ONE MAN ONE VOTE

Lets then see where the peoples faith lies in.

The "so called politicians" from these areas can not be trusted at all,they spend their political life on the highway between Hargeysa, Garowe and Mogadisho selling themselves off to the highest bidder....

Baashi   

Samurai,

My suggestions for quick resolution:

1. Demilitarize the zone for the time being.

2. Restore the institutional capacity of the elders so they can manage dificulties with this magnitude. As of now that is not the case.

3. Honor the "isimo's" decisions and requests - requests that are inline with the grassroots wishes which happen to be peace.

I'm of the opinion that if we do these, the sane folks of both sides will have time to sit back and see where their real interests lie.

War is not da answer. But I get da feeling if this thing is not settled quickly, war will be inevitable. The so called administrations in Hargeysa n Garowe neither care nor understand the needs of da people SSH. People are dissatisfied with Riyaale n Yusuf. SSH offers an oppurtunity to divert people's attention. These men won't hestitate to take dat oppurtunity if dat means saving their current jobs.

Besides, the very idea of Sland n Pland make no sense anymore. Sure the two regions have achieved what other parts of somalia couldn't. But lets be honest, these qabiil based regions are not going anywhere without mogadisho. Sadly the residents of these regions are being feed lies,and many are buying it, their hopes are rising. Prepare for another dissappiontment. If this war does occur, well it is downhill from there.....My prayers goes to the people of SSH.....During Barre's era, people of Sool might have been on the wrong side of conflicts, but today reer sool aad iyo aad ayaa looga gardaran yahay. Hargeysa n Garowe can fight the wars in their own lands, n leave SSH out of dis.

Liqaye   

At least we recognize that the present situation is being forced upon the people of sool & sanaag, by the present worthless leadership in hargeisa and garowe.

they are little better than prostitutes selling them selves to what hallucination is presently in fashion.

And they are truly the people who would benefit from violence and qabil.

This forum and its memebers, i truly believe have taken a major step foward by recognizing this fact.

I have to congratulate most nomads here, indeed i have taken back and eaten most of the thoughts i had of some people here.

As long as this fact is recognized as being the truth of history and our present, the more relevent our disscusions will be.

smile.gif

, Baashi Gediid

I very much like your suggestions, the area has to be given back to the people that inhabit it and the issimo’s without a third hand must decide the fate.

I like the way the elders have handled a volatile situation so far.

Gediid ,

One man one vote referendum on the future of SSC, I totally agree friend

S-W and Sophist , many thanks for the background information it seems many here lack the basic history of the region, they don’t know that the people of these areas struggled against the Colonial yoke. The Dervish warriors of the Sayid

Huuganka Ideolojiyada , you seem not to have understood the issue at hand, this is bigger than two little clans fighting over a borehole its about Somali unity as opposed to the creation of a new Somali state[somaliland] its about the loss of control of the local population on the direction of their region. Its also about the pact between Omar Gulleh[Djibouti] and Abdiqasin with funds[Libiyan] to destabilise the two functioning Somali states. Lastly its about the failure of Garowe and Hargaysa to have dialogue and to maintain the status quo in order not to jeopardise what little peace and prosperity the people of the North of Somalia have right now.

Lastly I think that the people of the region[Northern Somalia] should take the responsibility to stop any acts of agreesion by anyone that can hinder the peace of the area, we should condemn our leaders Yusuf, Kahin and the rest and we should support our elders, Garad Saleban and Abdigani to work hard to give the people back their land.

Suggestions put forth included:

Baashi - Demilitarise the zone - remained so until the infamous day of the 17/Dec 02 when Riyaale violated it rendering the area between Burco and Las Anod the most insecure and instable in the region. Again on the 21/Dec 03 the call to secure Somaliland’s borders was another attempt in violation of that truce.

Empower traditional elders - there are two types of Issims: the genuine with deep-rooted grassroots support that still remain influential. Then there are the Barre era junior mandarins with negligible fellowship, shady past, and no loyalty yet more active in urban quarters, unruly than anyone could imagine with some playing for both teams. There remains a value-orientated divisive line between the two groups. The former apolitical, credible and cultured still sees itself the legitimate, hardly gets involved unless conditions demand, and exercise its influence with maximum reparations for the good of the majority. The latter depicted as anything but that of the former dabbles in both customary and political discourse with little training in either. Mostly children of the 60s, who hit puberty at the decline of the nationalistic movement, matured with the debauched, decadent revolution of the early 70s attach little value to custom, constitution and institutions. In other words the dilution of custom, culture and tradition by the military junta of its 20-year reign still haunts the old republic long after its death – causality and effectuality hand in hand if you will.

- Strip politicians of presumed political influence - how and who is to do that? They have as much right to make a claim for the role like any other. Besides they are stakeholders in either administration, hence neither is willing to jeopardise that. They are known to switch sides so swiftly if not content with goings of the day that they are even unsure of themselves. A supreme judge in Garowe yesterday yet a Chief justice in Hargeisa today! The head of the parliament today in Hargeisa yet a minister in Garowe tomorrow! They share so much with the pro-secessionist group who are fervent protagonists today, yet a passionate nationalist parading with their hearts on their sleeves in the capital singing “waving the good old blue flag” the next – “gabaldaye sidiisii” with no guiding principles at all.

- Implement institutional capacity building programmes – which of the two administrations is to enforce it since there is no other authority readily available on the scene? Use of reasonable force perhaps? Or engage the ugly UN which has no interest in getting involved perhaps?

GediidElectoral resolve - One man one vote - proposed in 2000, abandoned by the late Igal, but still doable though the doctrine of “majority wins” is not quite applicable to nomads, for if one loses by majority vote, one never accepts the results. Who and how would this be enforced?

Sophist – Reinstate and engage elites of the regions - This group has higher stakes within its sights to be bothered with what they consider a rather unpleasant squabble over nothing in line with the prevailing psychological mindset of almost all Somali elites. Thus not foreseeable, and not realistic.

And finally if Hargeisa wishes to go it alone on the basis of clan patronage, (that the Duriya were massacred on the basis of their clan lineage, the only voiced, viable reason for the divorce, and thus existence of Somaliland), Hargeisa must accept Las Anod’s clan patronage to Garowe and Kismayo.

Therefore, I still stand to prevent war Somaliland ought to consider abandoning its secessionist ideologies at once, and embrace other forms (confederate or federal) of co-habiting the Somali terrain.

You are welcome to shred my suggestions to pieces if you wish,

Your thoughts please?

Cheers.

Baashi   

Samurai,

Demilitarize the zone for the good of the residents there. I repeat this again and I dare to say we should take the initiative by recalling Af-gaduud back to his barracks. This is not a unilateral disarmament but a shrewd political move that will toss a ball between Siilaanyo and front line residents including Buurmadow on one hand and Riyale handlers on the other hand in yet another football rematch political play in Hargeisa.

You do that and these will happen:

a) It will deflate Mr. Ade’s and his like’s political capital as the “Issimo” will capitalize this move and solve few long-standing issues among their constituent.

b) Punland will not lose face by doing that as Sool will still be an integral part of Puntland State under control of its loyal “Issimo” and Somaliland don’t have to swallow its pride because they “kicked” Af-gaduud out of the area.

c) Both sides save the needed resources that now earmarked for a disastrous conflict.

My suggestions are for just to buy time not to solve the fundamental differences between the two administrations on the question of border demarcation and the sacredness of the territorial integrity of the Somalia that once existed.

As of now we all should focus on maintaining the peace. I’m of the opinion that it is easy to achieve it if the leaders care. They can solve it without addressing the ultimate question.

I don’t see any other way of saving us to go to war.

There u have it pal - my thoughts on how to avert an unwinnable war.

Baashi - Brilliant mate! I must admit I admire this latter suggestion all the while.

"You do that and these will happen:

a) It will deflate Mr. Ade’s and his like’s political capital as the “Issimo” will capitalize this move and solve few long-standing issues among their constituent.

b) Punland will not lose face by doing that as Sool will still be an integral part of Puntland State under control of its loyal “Issimo” and Somaliland don’t have to swallow its pride because they “kicked” Af-gaduud out of the area.

c) Both sides save the needed resources that now earmarked for a disastrous conflict"

LANDER   

I could a swore some of these same members in here who are now debating all these diplomatic solutions where war mongoring just a few months ago. War has devastating effects, and it is often fruitless but I am not of those pacifist who will go so far as saying it is NEVER a solution. Sometimes in is the only solution. The problem of A/Yusuf will remain so long as he is in absolute control, he will do these little in and out guerilla tactics as he pleases if their isn't some concrete resolution to this conflict. Since he had the audacity to attack Lascanood, and since the SL army is outside lascanood, it would be honorable to come out of the city and fight since that is what the Puntland militia came for. It is cowardly to hide behind the cover of innocent lascanood citizens who will be caught in the crossfire. I seriously doubt though the Puntland militia would come out and fight in the open, that would be suicide. So my point being you don't back peddale when you have already taken the iniative, diplomacy is good, but it is useless as soon as one side starts firing. Either way what has to come of this whole situation is some clear cut understanding of S.Land borders by both sides in the form of a treaty, whether that be achieved diplomatically or militarly remains to be seen. I'd rather delay the military tactics for now, but I am not in the shoes of Riiyaale. This will clearly be a test for this president, remains to be seen how he handles this situation.

LANDER – I see you have been placing your bets on the loosing horses in inaAdde and the SL army that is not to be – how mediocre!

The irony lies here - “SL army” he says, and then the “Puntland militia” he adds. How patriotic!

Borders, what borders?

Just because we are advocating for diplomatic and peaceful resolution to the issue at hand, it shows we are the true citizens of the territories. Do remember though whilst we may seek mature resolve and cultivate grassroots support for it, it does not mean the Dervishes will not slap you black and blue.

What was the old saying “Doqontu baa la yidhi, Ha la heshiiyo marka la yidhaa, Ayey qoryo gurad bilawdaa”. Nonetheless, if it is a war that is to settle the matter, and you wish to rejoice, believe you me it shall not be pretty – and your uncles shall ration the Togdheer mud for years to come.

We will let the wise ones come forth and speak for now, shall we?