Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

War is not the Answer

WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER

If recent reports from eastern parts of our country are something to go by, it seems that there are growing political insecurities and a looming military confrontation between Mr. Cabdilahi Yusuf and the Riyaale administration in Hargaysa. Both men are struggling in a vain attempt to gain political and military control of the dry and scarcely populated regions of Sool and Sanaag regions of the now defunct state of the former Somali Republic.

http://www.hargeysa.org/WAR%20IS%20NOT%20THE%20ANSWER.htm

Never indeed my old Bruv.

It appears many seem to be banging on about the spills of war without much attention to its repercussions. I am yet to see anyone proposing a resolution to the conflict in the regions concerned.

Is there a decree of resolution? If so, what is it?

As equitable compatriots of the land of Somal (Puntland, Somaliland or otherwise), is it at all possible to think rationally and consider other possibilities once and altogether ruling out the option of warfare without siding with either camp, yet simply considering the basis of the arguments put forth? And without being unfair to either camp, could we explore opportunities to not delay war but, write it off in total sum?

Best of luck,

Cheers.

i tried to find any concrate solution of sool problem in this arical.

I believe Mr. Cabdilahi Yusuf could, if he wants to, come to his senses and let the people of those regions decide their political destiny by expressing their collective political will on a ballot box rather than at the barrel of a gun

can this be the solution?

AYOUB   

Posted by Samurai:

It appears many seem to be banging on about the spills of war without much attention to its repercussions. I am yet to see anyone proposing a resolution to the conflict in the regions concerned.

Is there a decree of resolution? If so, what is it?

The only move that promises a peaceful resolution to the situation is in this article. If true, this might provide a short term solution:

Dhanka kale wasiirka horumarinta reer Miyiga ee Somaliland Md. Fu’aad Aadan Cadde oo muddo ku sugnaa magaalada Laas caanood ee gobolka Sool ayaa maanta gaaray deegaanka Ceynaba oo ah fariisinka ugu soo horeeya ee ay ciidamada Somaliland fadhiyaan.

Wasiirka ayaa Laas Caanood uga soo baxay amar uga yimid Salaadiinta beesha ******** ee uu ka tirsan yahay, kuwaasoo isaga u ballan qaaday in haddii uu baxo ay isna C/risaaq Af-guduud, taliyaha ciidamada booliska Puntland ka saari doonaan Laas Caanood, si looga baxo is-qab qabsiga siyaasadeed ee u dhaxeeya labada maamul.

Salaad Iidow Xasan (Xiis) Hiiraan Online

saladxiis@yahoo.com

Mogadishu, Somalia

Here is another article calling for a peaceful solution to the crisis caused by the ill-judged stunt by the Puntland malitia.>>> war should not the first option

Samurai I applaud the new calm and mature tone you seem to have adopted. But, if the people in the north-east of Somalia want long lasting peace - then they should think of a way to ditch the 'Garoowe tyrant'.

[ January 06, 2004, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Libaax-Sankataabte ]

AYOUB   

Angel I think Fuad Aadan Cadde has showed toughness and composure and should be the new Interior Minister for the Republic. Samurai would settle for that. ;)

Rokko   

Wasiirkii Somaliland oo loo ogolaaday inuu si nabad ah uga baxo Laascaano

- Sunday, January 04, 2004 at 12:49

AllPuntland (Laascaano) Wasiirkii Somaliland ee dib-u-dejinta Fu’aad Aadan Carab oo maalintii sadexaad go’doon ku ahaa gurigiisa ayaa maanta loo ogolaaday inuu si nabad ah uga baxo Laascaano.

Sida uu maanta saxaafadda u sheegay sarkaal sare oo u hadlay booliska Puntland, jidka u baxa dhinaca Haragaysa ayaa loo furay wasiirkaas, waxaana lagu amray booliska jooga koontaroolka waqooyi ee Laascaano inay wasiirkaas u ogolaadaan in uu si nabad ah ku dhaafo halkaas.

Fu’aad ayaa tan iyo markii uu waraysiga siiyay Idaacadda BBC-da wuxuu go’doon ku ahaa guriga uu ka daganaa Laascaano, waxaana si gaar u ilaalinayay maleeshiyo ay isku raas yihiin, dadwaynaha magaalada ayaa aad uga xumaaday warkii uu Fu’aad siiyay BBCda, waxaana dhowrjeer lagu dhagxiyay guriga.

Booliska gobolka Sool ayaa ayana dadaal ugu jiray sidii ay u sugi lahaayeen guud ahaan amaanka magaalada. Madaxda dhaqanka ee gobolka Sool ayaa labadan bari waxay ayana wadeen dadaal ku aaddan sidii wasiirkaasi uu si nabad ah ugu laaban lahaa halkii laga soo magacaabay ee Hargaysa. Maanta ayaa lagu wadaa in Fu’aad ka baqoolo Laascaano asagoo u baxaya dhinaca Hargaysa.

AllPuntland.com

Rokko   

Taliyaha Ciidamada Booliska Puntland Ayaa Sheegay in Magaalada Laascaanood laga saaray Wasiirkii Somaliland ka Socday

- Sunday, January 04, 2004 at 15:20

Laascaanood (AllPuntland)– G/sare. C/risaaq Afguduud oo ah Taliyaha Ciidamada Booliska Puntland ayaa maanta Radio Midnimo u sheegay in Kowdii duhurnimo ee maanta magaalada Laascaanood laga saaray Wasiirkii Maamulka Somaliland Fu’aad Aadan Carab.

Taliyuhu wuxuu kaloo sheegay in arrintaasi ay ku timid rabitaanka shicibka, wuxuu kaloo sheegay in awalba uu magaalada ku joogay damiin uu Garaad Saleebaan ka qaaday in uusan wax dhibaato ah geysan doonin.

Taliyuhu wuxuu kaloo sheegay in hadalkii uu ka jeediyey BBC-da uu ahaa mid uu ku khiyaameeyey Garaad Saleebaan oo uu ballan ka qaaday.

Taliyaha oo ka jawaabayey in uu jiray cadaadis Wasiirkaas kaga yimid dhinaca ciidamada Booliska ayuu kaga jawaabay “ Waxay aheyd mid ka timid rabitaanka shicibka oo jecleystay in ninkaasi ka baxo magaaladooda” wuxuu kaloo Taliyuhu ku tilmaamay Wasiirkaas in uu ahaa Bam la soo dhex dhigay magaalada Laascaanood.

Sida ay sheegtay Idaacadda Midnimo Taliyuhu wuxuu kaloo sheegay in guud ahaan magaalada Laascaanood ay ka babanayaan Calankii Jamhuuriyada Soomaaliya, isla markaasna ay gacan ku qabteen dhinacyada amaanka iyo socodsiinta howlaha Maamulka.

Waxaanu weydiinay Taliyaha in ay ka war hayaan ciidamo Somaliland ah oo ku soo gurmaya deegaano ka tirsan Gobolada Sool iyo Sanaag, wuxuuna sheegay in ciidamadoodu ay awlba joogi jireen Oog iyo Caynabo, “dhibaato uma aragno, waxna nama yeeli karaan” ayuu yiri Taliyuhu, wuxuu kaloo sheegay in Ciidamada Daraawiishta ee Puntland ay waajibaadkoodii gudanayaan gaareena goobihii loogu tala galay ee fadhigoodu ahaa.

Ugudanbeyntii waxaan weydiinay Taliyaha Booliska Puntland xiliga uu ka soo noqon doono magaalada Laascaanood, wuxuuna kaga jawaabay “Laascaanood waxay qayb ka tahay magaalooyinka Puntland, Ilaah baana garanaya xiliga uu noqon doono, laakiin waa magaalo iila mid ah kuwa kale ee Puntland oo shaqo mar walba la iigaga baahan yahay in aan ka qabto".

AllPuntland.com

Rokko   

Sammurai, that greedy so-called minister Fuaad doesn't represent me or the people of Sool/Sanaag/Cayn/Haylaan. They shouldn't have let him leave that easy. He should have been jailed for treason.

India   

Mopp

And the source of the above articles are "all puntland.com"

Very reliable indeed Mopp ;)

I am still awaiting Samuria response.

Mopp I take it you think A-Yusuf is welcome in Sool--huh??

Angel Dust, the soultion is simple, let both states leave SOOL, SANAG, CAYN, HAYLAN for good let the people in the region decide their destiny and not be held by Colonial legacy or blood.

My dear Angel realise this that if there is a war it will be a disaster, it will destroy the economy of Toghdeer and Bari and will lose countless innocent souls, no onw will win and least of all some recruits from Hargaysa.

What I propose is dialogue between Hargaysa and Garowe to stop the saber rattling.

Dialogue between the clans in the region, Toghdeer, Sool and the clans that Inhabit Sanag to work out what they local interests are.

Then frank dialogue between us in the diaspora to check our hawks, media wesbsites such as Allpuntland, Somalilandnet e.t.c so that there is no renewel of outdated hatred.

What is your proposal my dear Anngel, Ayoub, Gediid and other Somaliland patriots

ALSO THIS POST ABOUT STOPING THE WAR IS OPEN TO EVERYONE BUT LETS HAVE THE OPINION OF THE PEOPLE WHO IT DIRECTLY EFECTS, SOMALILAND AND PUNTLAND

Liqaye   

SnW said:

LETS HAVE THE OPINION OF THE PEOPLE WHO IT DIRECTLY EFECTS, SOMALILAND AND PUNTLAND

Continue thinking like that bro, and you are dig yourselves a hole with your own teeth.

Amongst the jealousies and petty inane rivalries of qabil warfare under other more polticaly acceptable names in this day and age, we still have the same nonsensical clan warfare that has plagued somalis scince day one.

That i think affects all somali's regardless of what name their semi-literate leaders decide to call the collection of dried up wells the call a state.

Apart from that i agree with SnW, war,strife,colad, is absolute last thing that people need.

Although i have a question to ask some people, is it is just me or are people calling the hawd by an other name, and talking about it as if it is a piece of land that is anything but under the colonialism of ethiopia?

Hallucinations can cross borders.

Sophist   

Lax Walba Shililka ey isdhigto ayaa lagu qalaa.

Now we are saying these regions are scarcely populated soomaaha! Cajiib! walee tan iyo mid kadaranba waan uga fadhiyaa golayaasha ey Soomalidu ku herdanto.

Thus Spake the Old Nomad

Dear nomads,

Whilst I hardly view the issue of Sool, Ayn & Highland (to some) and Sool & Sanag to others whilst still Sool, Sanag & Hawd to a third group, to be any different from that of Somalia in general, yet it possesses a rather pleasant sentimental feel to it from historical perspective.

Now, let us observe the arguments put forth by the two camps along with that of the elites off of the regions, shall we?

On the Puntland camp – the case of Ayn (Buhodle), Sool and Highland (formerly Sanaag) is seen as no more than the preservation of the territorial integrity of the Somalia territories: an extension if you will of the Somali nationalism. The said regions represent Somali nationalism which began in the early 1900s. Whilst gutted rather severely and found NOT overwhelmingly revered voice, it still remains vigorous perhaps in whispers.

Here, colonial legacy is neither regarded with respect nor embraced; in fact it is merely seen as a historical event that lent significant voice to the notion of nationalism, yet with minute significance, and no relevance to the present day Somali situation. Periods prior to the potent penetration of the 1890s (albeit reached coasts in late1890s) when the European regal reigned over the Cinderella of the dark continent, pastoral Somalis legitimately maintained identifiable borders along gazing terrains, water wells and ancestral familiar sights. Some including Fu’ad A Adde (hit puberty after independence) view this era to have had a defining historical moment whereas the majority, notibly Mohamed A Hashi (participated in the nationalistic liberation movement) with grassroots support, not only despises this period but go as far as recounting it with vile and despicable memories. Most of Hawd still in the hands of the Habasha, NFD under the Bantu occupation, and Djibouti reduced to no more than French holiday resort – this is from where this group drives prerogative, and at the same time where their dilemma lies. Strived for is a wholesome whole. And anything less is a soiled nibble (cad ciidoobay). And not “aji oontiis”.

This is considered more important than the regal segregation of peoples. And thus serve as a mode to revitalise the sentiment of Somali nationalism, if quixotic for now, thereby securing the future of the nation. This view is supported by imperial studies and conditions on the ground all of which lend support in the undeniable existence of clan patronage which overrides the sacrosanct popular feeling of nationalism at times of conflict as the case is in the present-day Somalia. Evidently, at times of prosperity nationalism and nationhood fervour overwhelmingly overrides that of clan patronage as the case might be in all societies – or perhaps more appropriately Somalia in the 60s and mid 70s.

An incredibly persuasive argument, which thus far no other group had managed to challenge, that manifests itself as the legitimate voice for Somali nationalism with extreme constituency at the local level (grassroots).

On the Sool, Sanag & Hawd camp – here lies a dilemma for the 60s elites off of these regions (schooled in Sheikh, thus acquainted with Hargeysa-Burco strip elites) divided as the rest as to where their loyalty ought to lie – Somali nationalism which could not be abandoned, and the far-distance chance of being better off separated. The expression “Laba Daran Mid Dooro” springs to mind. However, very vocal and conspicuous is the voice of the average person who favours nationalism over anything else, hence the elites lack the grassroots support, and that of civil society and traditional elders. (wish to explore this further at the end)

The fact that Banadir region remain in turmoil (albeit administrative institutionalisation is gaining momentum) and the leadership in Southwest (RRA) regions lost both the confidence and the formula for self-regulation does not support the argument put forth by the above groups. In fact, it lends support to the premise “if they cannot govern themselves, why should we remain hostage to them” presented by the pro-secessionist camp.

On the Somaliland camp – the case here for the colonial demarcation, which is disguised in historical and customary affiliation, of the Somali territories has many a times been made. Both are challenged with vehemence in that colonialism is said not to constitute historical affiliation as much as customary association is never a substitute for birth and blood correlative bond - that of the Somalis and Somalia.

(I’ll let others to further explore the arguments for the legitimacy and Statehood of Somaliland by other abled- pro-Somaliland nomads – for I do not believe I could be expected to be void of bias, and/or do justice for an entity which I do believe not in its viability – (I DO, however support its existence).

Therefore, a resolution to avoid skirmishes (I see not the possibility of an all-out-war) could be found in in-between waters if the desire to explore them is to be had.

- Somaliland’s elites (and not leadership) ought to abandon the secessionist strategies and pursue either confederate (unlikely at the moment) or federal (highly likely) union with the rest of Somalia,

- Restructure Somaliland to exclude these regions, provided the above is deemed non-optional,

- Review, if not reliving, the legacy of Somali nationalism differentiating the acts of the State (horrendous) as opposed to that of the populace (hardly liable),

- Dispel the mythical notion that Somaliland shall cease to exist without Sool & Sanaag,

- Heed the voice of the people of Las Anod (pro-federalist) as much as that of Hargeisa (pro-secessionist),

- Puntland’s leadership (and not elites) to promote diplomatic resolution to the problem,

- Maintain administrative State institutions in Ayn, Sool and Highland soonest,

- Further strengthen business and trade activities between people of the region irrespective of the political situation,

- Further reinforce cordial relationship between traditional elders in Togdheer and Eastern Sanag and those in Puntland,

Elites off of Sool, Sanaag & Hawd -

As I got to dash now, I do reserve the right to observe this group perhaps another time.

Anyone wishes to add to that?

Cheers.