Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

Britain Will Never Be Part To An Agreement That Will Push Somaliland Against Its Will

Fyr   

“Britain Will Never Be Part To An Agreement That Will Push Somaliland, Against Its Will, To A Union With Somalia†British Minister For Afr

Somaliland.Org/HPA — Hargeisa, Somaliland — 25 October, 2004

chrismuwa1.jpg

The British Minister for African affairs, Mr Chris Mullin, addressed today the two houses of Somaliland Parliament, Guurti and Wakiiladda. In his address, Mr Mullin, who is on a three day visit to Somaliland, told Somaliland Parliamentarians that he is the first British Minister to address the Somaliland parliament; and that the aim of his visit is to reassure the Somaliland people that whatever the outcome of Mbaghati Conference, Somaliland will not be forgotten.

“Let me assure you, however, that the British government will never be part to an agreement, which pushes you against your will, into a forced marriage with the South†said Chris Mullin in his address to the Somaliland Parliament.

The republic of Somaliland, former British protectorate, entered into a voluntary union with Somalia, former Italian trustee, in 1960. However, after thirty years of union and a bloody civil war, Somaliland reclaimed its sovereignty in 1991, and withdrew from the union it entered with Somalia in 1960. It has been peaceful since then and has a vibrant free market economy. Within the last two years, it has held two successful elections, regional and Presidential; and is expected to hold Parliamentary elections in March next year.

Mr Mullin, however, appealed to the Somaliland Parliament and government not to do anything that could jeopardise the fragile peace process of Somalia; while at the same time he encouraged it to enter into bi-lateral negotiations with Somalia, so that, he said, “you can come to a peaceful agreement and live side by sideâ€.

After the election of new Somalia President in Kenya, earlier this month, the Somaliland houses of Parliament passed legislation authorising the government the use of military force, if the new Somalia government transgresses its borders.

The British Minister praised Somaliland’s road to democracy, and pledged his countries support for the upcoming Parliamentary elections. However, he stressed the importance of free media for a democracy, and the need for independent Radio and Television stations in Somaliland, which are free and accessible to the public to voice their opinions.

Horn Press Agency

In my opinion, 99% of Somalis from the South will never accept a forced union (meaning an armed solution or war waged against the people of Somaliland), let alone Great Britain, a western democracy. To be frank, the minister didn't say anything new. That has constantly been Britain's position on Somaliland.

The issue of recognition is just another story. It is evident the minister didn't address that for whatever reason.

“you can come to a peaceful agreement and live side by sideâ€.

LST

That I think is the closest he came in relation to Somaliland's future.

For Somaliland to be recognized it has to enter a divorce dialogue with a peaceful Somalia, that is the policy of the British government towards Somaliland.

But how long can we wait for Somalia to get its acts together? This is a flawed policy. :mad:

OG_Girl   

Suldaanka, I hate to deliver bad news inabti... you can wait forever for that Specially with Col, Abdullahi Yusuf ..If you know what I mean ;) .

Salam

Somaliland is on its last legs, it was never an idea that was well thought of.

There is no need for war, all we have to do is offer the people a better alternative to what they have under Riyaale.

Mogadishu and the south is the first priority, once thats a chieved Somaliland will be forced by the international community to seek peace.

LANDER   

Britain will never be part of an agreement?..... so what?

I don't see why we have to continually give relevance to every british mp or minister who speaks on Somaliland. The staunch supporters of Somaliand in the british parliment have already done their jobs and yet it is clear the british government is unwilling to bare responsibility for the recognition of Somaliland for now. It's only at the hands of Somalilanders that recognition may come if that be the primary objective our nation. Therefore we need to continually empower ourselves instead of looking like lame ducks waiting for a wink from former colonial powers. The future success or failure of our state can only be attributed to us and since we hold our destiny in our own hands. I just wish the next elections would come sooner, don't wanna wait till 2008 :D

India   

Lander

Couldn't agree with you more. Our fate is in our hands. Once we take care of domestic issues, International recognition will not be something we seek but something we are offered.

I wish our government will stop worrying about the on going on Somalia and get on with issues at hands, like completely elevating our people's needs.

I also agree that UDUB is failing in more ways than one. In fact the only creditable person they have is DR Edna, hats- off to the sister. She has never let her loyalty and duty to Somaliland sway.

High time UDUB, moved out since they could not put out for the people.

PS: je suis toujours in France. Malgre my slow start avec la langue francaise, je vais bein now. You see, Il faut que I master the France si Je puet etre the next Edna. Might not have the same distinguished profile, however my love for SL is non the less inferior.

Toujours SL

Dusty

Smith,

You have A Yusuf as a president ( who by the way bought his way to the seat might I remind you), a make shift govt engineered in a foreign soil, operating from a foreign soil and your best hope for peace is foreign troops!!! yet brother you have the "face" to rant

"Mogadishu and the south is the first priority, once thats a chieved Somaliland will be forced by the international community to seek peace"

Really Now :eek: :eek:

nuune   

To them(Somali-Landers), the visit of the British Minister to this Land Of Somalia is a dream come true. The Riyaale stadium will therfore celebrate till the end of Ramadan for just that visit only.

The words of forced marriage means to them a "recognition"

Abdi2005   

Its impossible for somaliland to be recognized and thats the reality some people dont want to realize. Number one all the six tribes who made treaties of protection with british in 1884,1885 and 1886 have to agree on the creation of somaliland state. And Number two the seventh tribe "Dhulb" who never made treaties with british and never agreed to be part of british protectorate dont have to make any referendum as they never where part of it willingly. The Riyoole administration in no way can speak for all the people who leave in the ex british somaliland now north Somalia.

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by OG_Girl:

Suldaanka, I hate to deliver bad news inabti... you can wait forever for that Specially with Col, Abdullahi Yusuf ..If you know what I mean

Macbuudko our lady judge has turned profession to tyrant and warlord, just what are you threatening if I may ask?

On a serious note though I agree with LST the merger was one of mutual consent and its nullification should come in such manner. Hence making the current self-declared secession void. And in order to amend the current stand off it should be done through negotiations just as said by the President Yusuf in his inauguration speech. Anything other than that quoted from the president is non representative.

The other aspect people please note that Somaliland government is legitimate as far as the mandate of its people are concerned and thus cannot be disregarded. Do not ever assume that the MP's from that region in the current Somali parliament are representative from the area, they are if anything nominal. It is vital, as some suggest in here, that negotiations and offering of a better situation than the current status should be undertaken in attempt to persuade our sisters and brothers to rejoin and stay in the union.

Som@li   

The world would be different if every state or part of country is recognised as different state. Somalia will always be one, with clearly defined boundaries,NoBody can divide us and change the unity of our country.

It is obvious so called somalialnders live in fantasy,and will be forced to give up such dream once somalia forms strong government.

Jumatatu   

^^Aha..! and what will the strong government do to bring S/land back to fold? Bombard them as our previous 'strong' government did?