Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Somalia/ Somaliland

Ibtisam   

Just started writing my thesis and I’ve come across some interesting things in my research. I though it may help few of the fish generations in SOL. So I will post here snippets I come across.

For example today while writing my background I found out that Somali’s constitution was drafted by the Italian legal officials, I always assumed old men sat under a tree and did it! :(

I also found out that North largely rejected the constitution, the flag and anthem with the following statistics in four of the major cities; Hargeisa (72%), Berbera (69%), Burao (66%) and Erigavo (69%) all returned negative votes. To make it worse and most tellingly, Wanla Weyn, (a small town not far from Mogadishu according to the map), recorded a higher yes-vote than the northern vote as a whole. This has messed up my hanky dory picture my family told me of happy days singing while the blue flag was raised. :confused: Also it contradicts the views I’ve heard that it was the north pushing for unification??? This essential means we were on shaky ground even before take off nooh?

P.s. Statistics is from Adam 1994 p.25 and Hofmann 2002 p. 11-12

NASSIR   

Ibtisam, To further illuminate your naive adventure into this case, The Act of Union was not part nor inclusive of the constitutional referendum.

And as you alluded to Walawayn, the referandum was held all over the country, not only the North. To base your level analysis on northern Towns is at best statistically inaccurate and borders on your biased secessionist advocacy.

Even so, the votes cast in the North, those in favor were not statistically significant. The votes cast in favor of the constitution was 48% and those against 52%.

Here is a good source of further research.

http://somaliunity.org/index.html

Keep the good work sweety.

Btw, I am quite surprised that you treat the North as if it mutually exlusive from Somalia. The title is misleading.

Paragon   

P.s. Statistics is from Adam
p.25 and Hofmann
p. 11-12

Revisionist historians, or are they not?

[edit] PS: You can still have that picture you had of happier days, since the statistics you quoted above only relate to the 'constitution' and NOT the act of unity itself.

Mind you, although many EU states happily accepted the union, still, some of the main states have rejected the stipulations of the EU constitution. Remember France a while back? That should restore your faith in the old happy picture :D .

Ibtisam   

^^^Nephy are you bored again. :D

Isseh I know Hoffman is, but that could be a good thing in the Somali case, as much of history was not written for a long time. Also it is hard to see how they edited/ changed things to fit into new theories when there is nothing to compare with in the first place.

Caamir: Jooji the patronizing please. Before you get in a huff I said that “Statistically speaking that mention little town had more "yes" vote than the north as a whole”. There is no other reason why I mention it, in case you was reaching elsewhere. Just a simple comparison, run with it how you like.

I can't use the site you gave me, I need something more balanced or at least hides its bias well. :D

P.s. Referendums are usual held all over the country dear, why would you assume that I thought it was only in the south?? :confused: I mentioned the north because they were most unhappy with the results according to the literature.

As for the title, there are times where they are mutually exclusive, even politics aside.

Edit: Lool @ Isseh. Yes but anyone writing about the EU will have valid reasons to justify this, and will be able to explore the implications without people getting mad. :D

EDIT: You know I though Nephy said where is the toilet, but I just realized she is looking for my relatives :D lol

You all have the wrong end of the stick, Maaxa hiilis keeney? this thread is: things you discover about Somalia/ Somaliland, not guess @ Ibtisam motive and political thought.

69% in Erigavo? :D

How many total votes?

Ibti, I think the Erigavo percentage is highly inflated. If the assumption is made that the NW clan wasn't happy with the "consititution", it is demographically impossible for a 69% "NO vote" in Erigavo (unless only the NW clan portion in the city voted and the majority of the city's residents decided not to vote). I say this because Erigavo residents in that early period were primarily Maakhirites and Hudunians. Maakhirites and Hudunians migration to other areas of Somalia started in the early 70's with another big influx following the tribal wars of the late 80s'.

Ibtisam   

Libaax I've come across the same percentage in four different sources, maybe there is a cover up of some sort :D

On a serious note, I don't know, I cannot imagine that only a certain portion of the city voted, nor does the literature point to any disagreements within the town. IF I come across any explanations I will share

Gediid   

Uhm uhm.Lemme add my few cents to this.Yes the majority of the north voted NO to that referundum.And yes that story about Walaaweyne out voting all the largest cities in Waqooyi is factually true.That was the reason behind the 1961 "coup" by Hassan Keyd.I put coup in quotation marks because it really wasnt a coup but an attempt to reclaim the lost independence of the northern regions.This was a reflection of the discontent reer waqooyi or the should I say the I people felt in the union they thought was to bring something bigger and better.Waa meesha saartu ka qudhuntey and I think its the reason why Somalis today are where they are.Alif ku xumaatey alxamdu al baqaraa.....

As for Libaax's assertion Ceeri was primarily a "makharite" and "hudunite" city ma garan meeshey ka timid but the mass migration of the said communities if we go by LST given names into the city intensified in the late 70's and early 80's with the blessing of Siad Barre to the point where they claimed the city as their own till 1991.But then again that fate befell the other major cities of waqooyi with the slow but steady campaign of purging the inhabitants of those cities with tribes more sympathetic to the cause....similar with what happened in Kismaayo in the 60's....... ;)

Jacpher   

Anigu waxaa la yaabay Soomaalidoo dhan waa Historian ama Politician. Most have PhDs in qabiil history and politiking. Sidii Google uunbey mar walba a new version soo tuurayaan. Hadii aad weydiisid tuulo cidooda aysan dagin oo ah the other corner of the country, waxaa dhici karta inuusan garan magaceeda.

Walee next generations ibtilaa heysata.

EDIT: Just a random rant. Nothing to do with the topic or the poster.

Ibtisam   

^^^I'm neither, I have another posh named sector :D so What is your point atheer Jimcaale?, miisee waad iska maagi daaka??

EDIT: Okay then, I though you was underhandly attacking there :D

Jacpher   

No. Not at all. I like yours. You're actually doing a research on this topic. Good job and good luck.

I'm concerned about Waxaa la yiri history and no source or a qabiil blogger as a source of reference. None of it is objective or informative.

Ibtisam   

^^^I like Adam as the Historian in SOL. I've never seen him reference to a qabiil blog. No one else is a Historian here.

Thanks