Sign in to follow this  
Xudeedi

What Is The Right Way Forward For 'Somaliland?

stoit   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ Don't bother. It's a long rant about Somalis sharing the same blood, traditions and history. The same dreamy stuff that has been argued for the past seventeen years! It also follows the same pattern. They start with an emotional appeal about being brothers then move to veiled ridicule and finally end it with a bit of fortune-telling!

If this article was written on the 17th of May 1991, one would have been moved a bit, tempted a little and maybe swayed a touch! But it was not written back then. Amazingly for someone so articulate and reasonable, this nonsense was written THIS month! You would have thought the brother would know a dead horse when he's seen one.

But Ngonge you are the one who is wrong. If you ridicule and dismiss these ideas as DREAMS let me remind you that dreams are infact the stuff that makes stars. Not the stars in the sky of course but the people who break off all the chains that society and pessimists put on them. Man couldnt fly for a very long time and thought that only birds could do that ..thanks to dreamers you can now also enjoy flight that are cheaper than train rides. We couldnt speak over distances and not instantaneously in any case but again thanks to those that dared dream you can now speak to your relatives anywhere anytime and sometimes even more clearly than you could hear the one right next to you. America is the land of dreamers and now not only somaliland but the rest of the world checks with them before they can eat their diner.

You dont dream freind but rest assured that those that dare dream and put to use that powerful software called imagination will find ways to achieve their goals and like those that were left behind you may be forced to invent stories and blame nature or others for the inevitabe poor state that non dreamers often find themselves in.

Now that that is out of the way let me share my views as to why unity rather than division at this stage.

Firstly for the record i do wish all somalis the very best and i mean it and if the best option for somaliland is secesion then so be it. Rather than we all perish i would have that some survive and do well.

The old ways of doing things have obviously led us all to a cliff and we are pushing each other off of it. So we all fall. No one must ,in my opinion, demand that somaliland must not seceed. Ours is an appeal for them not to seek secession, especially not at this time.

We appeal that they stay within the union for wether they have love for us now or not we are all the same people and those that have harmed them over the years have in reality not favoured any of us. A glimpse at our state is proove enough that whatever it was it can never be called favour.

I have also doubts regarding how popular this idea is even among the somalilanders and how that can be ascertained now beats me. After that is settled we then need to find out wether our brothers and sisters are being manipulated by a few self serving individuals or not.

Having settled all that then comes the biggest hurdle of all. The boundaries of the new state. Is your secession worth another war over boundaries and a new bloodshed ? How many poor souls must we loose over and over again over greed ?

All of the above require an orderly retreat with as little loss of lives and property as possible and that cannot be achieved because of the current state of affairs.

If somaliland needs to seceed it must do so not as an opportunist with little regard to either principles or consequences for all involed but by genuinely pursuing their goal with determination and no ill intent or action.

I know some are pushing through secessionist ideas forcefully now, thinking that this is the only opportunity and that if peace reigns and the government is strong, there will have no chance.

That however is lack of iiman, foresigh and willpower. You see i strongly believe that we have all changed over the years and people will start doing things differently. We have the advantage of actually experiencing different systems of governments and ways of life all over the world and we shall incorporate this new found knowledge into our worldview and we shall learn to stand up for principles and not stand with the tribe anymore. The awful ways and fake love that people shower on others when they want something done for them will not have a grip on the future generation and so it wont sway their judgement.

I can go on forever brother painting a bright picture of the future that you can inherit but dont stand oposed to it if you are not willing to expend effort bringing it to realisation.

Just imagine a land vast, in which you and your loved ones share the fruits of your efforts in peace and tranquility. Imagine having the opportunity of knowing and keeping in contact with your childhood freind ,neighbours and family even sixty or more years down the line. Imagine being able to travel for work ,for pleasure or even move altogether to any part of the vast country that you fancy, without fear of need or aggression. Imagine the ability to bequeath the same to your posterity for generations to come. Imagine being able to not only fall in love but also to marry any somalian lady without having to worry for of her decent or what the othes are going to either think of it, say of it or act because of it and her the same of you.

The list of "IMAGINES" is too long and i am sure if you look into your heart you will find a confirmation and if you are brave enough maybe you will even come forward with a list of yours without fear of embarrassment. Yes i wil not hide my face and i will not swallow my words. So i will come out and say "brother i am a dreamer ,there you go i've said it. I live in the clouds and if GOD grants my wishes i will build a bridge so you can come up here with me and enjoy the sight. It is amazing ....and oh it will take your breath away. WELCOME TO THE SITGHTS AND SOUNDS OF SOMALIA"

Spadez,

Fact is showing you in the span of 3 years the so-called somaliland government has done nada, rien, nothing for the region of Awdal. You speak of "only 3 facts" as if this administration was one who did the normal thing of putting all its efforts into building the north. You forget that while 90% of their time is spent lying to the wishfull believers and stealing from them, only 10% is left to actually do something. That amount meant that only few chosen cities where given some kind of attention.

Also you speak of the normalcy of the citizens of Awdal doing for themselves like its okay. This lame administration has the responsability of building roads and other needed infrastructure. However, since they are too occupied with lying and stealing, Awdal will rise on its own.

Last, lets be clear, I want the north to reach its potential, but my north is not a divisive one.

Jamster   

Forget about Bul**; I am converted; I am moved beyond reproach; I am sold- Somaliland hanoolaato ayaan leeyhay forever if this beauty of a lady by name of Hodan Farah becomes my oori http://www.flickr.com/photos/yusuf-dahirsomaliland/2318555373/sizes/o/

Somaliland folks ngone, come on mate hook me up and I shall forever forgo my 'fortune' telling.

PS: Just following suit with my cuzs in hargeisa; nothing strange about my possition; most of my kin in hargeisa have been enticed by one way or the other.

Gediid   

Lois Lane

The govt in Somaliland does not build anything except their personal bank accounts.They are a bunch of corrupt lazy foools who use the money they collect from the masses to build their own personal wealth.Unfortunately that is the simple truth,whatever little development you see is from the diaspora.I cant even remember what this government did that is worthy of mentioning here.There is no roads they built,no bridges rehabilitiated by them,matter of fact the money given to them by the UN agencies to build 5 bridges on the Hargeysa-Berbera highway 3/4 of that money was misappropriated by them.Awdal isnt the only province left in the dark as a result of a corrupt govt,its the whole of Somaliland that is suffering.

NGONGE   

Aduun,

Moving words that almost brought a tear to my eyes there, saaxib. Alas, in the past seventeen years millions of similar words were written and all have fallen on deaf ears. Can't you get the hint?

have also doubts regarding how popular this idea is even among the somalilanders and how that can be ascertained now beats me. After that is settled we then need to find out wether our brothers and sisters are being manipulated by a few self serving individuals or not.

You do realise that there were a couple of elections in Somaliland and that most people took part in these elections. Would you call a democratic election a form of manipulation? What isn't in that case? I doubt anything short of meeting and questioning every Somalilander would convince you of the popular support for that entity within Somaliland!

Having settled all that then comes the biggest hurdle of all. The boundaries of the new state. Is your secession worth another war over boundaries and a new bloodshed ? How many poor souls must we loose over and over again over greed ?

All of the above require an orderly retreat with as little loss of lives and property as possible and that cannot be achieved because of the current state of affairs.

If somaliland needs to seceed it must do so not as an opportunist with little regard to either principles or consequences for all involed but by genuinely pursuing their goal with determination and no ill intent or action.

It is well documented on these boards that I was not the loudest supporter of Somaliland in the past. I saw many obstacles and a lethargic government where other Somalilanders didn't see any. However, the recent moves of Somaliland convinced me that there is life in the old girl yet!

The recent capture of LA took place with the minimum loss of life. It was spearheaded by people of that city. The Makhir issue was also spearheaded by people of that region. You call it manipulation, I call it politics. You can dream as much as you like, brother. However, when you decide to wakeup, you will notice that Somaliland is making progress on all political fronts.

Now you are really left with two choices; support it unconditionally or oppose it categorically. This business of dreaming, ridiculing, threatening and pleading all at the same time is tiresome and (if the evidence of the past seventeen years is anything to go by) useless. Try a little pragmatism, brother. smile.gif

stoit   

Most democratic elections of today are infact nothing but manipulation but that is besides the point. Results depend alot on the existing conditions and the general mood of the people and if they are constantly bombarded with "us" verses "them" and a choice between "look they did this to us yesterday" and "hey we are your tribe we will never harm you choose us" at this point in time will only yield one vote. Every self serving future dictator knows what to say and when to get the best results.

Only in times of peace can the best conditions favourable to all where control can be put in place for an orderly secession be met ,if that should then be desired.

And disappointed that you needed alot more convincing that unity is truly better for everybody than i can offer for now.

If our brothers in somaliland insist on secession i believe no one has the right to stop them by force, but only after making sure that a boundary dispute will not result in another war. You may have the right to self govern but not the right to do so at the cost of a war and the possible deaths of many somalis on both sides.

Unfortunately we are both handicupped; i can not reveal to you the almost boundless possibilities of unity and your vission extends not beyond the tribe. Keep the mother alive my brother but somalia was evident enough for all with eyes to see that a tribal society has no legs to stand on and the bigger it grows the more painful the fall so best think now before you leap.

First it was the tribes at war. When one emerged victorious, then the fight over the spoils of victory descended down to the clans and so on until the chaos was all encompassing.

The only safe boundary to draw is the national boundary in my opinion. You may choose to differ.

T

Gediid,

The big picture: yes the so-called sland government, has done nothing worthy of mentioning, however while they lack the basic understanding of what a government can do they have also given more attention to few cities. While Awdaal isnt the only region that has been ignored its is one of the main forgotten regions by this rubish administration.

However this only shows that this seperatist idea is not one where all can profit from, specially not the people of the north.

AYOUB   

After several attempts, I've finally read the whole article. What waste of time and energy. Rambling moaning globe-trotting scribble that's left me asking "and your point is?". Can anyone help?

Lois Lane

Since Somaliland government is so bad for Awdal, would it have been better served under TFG, TNG etc etc?

Originally posted by Aduun iyo aakhiro:

But Ngonge you are the one who is wrong. If you ridicule and dismiss these ideas as DREAMS let me remind you that dreams are infact the stuff that makes stars. Not the stars in the sky of course but the people who break off all the chains that society and pessimists put on them. Man couldnt fly for a very long time and thought that only birds could do that ..

Aaah...that's sooo sweeeet. smile.gif

Ayoub,

One administration, steals and does not help its citizens in any shape or form, the other brings ethiopians to murder its citizens. Thus security wise the s-land administration has an upper hand. However that region is very much neglected like many other cities.

Then again the credit shouldn't really be given to the administration, rather to the citizens of the north in general. Their the ones that decided to put the arms down.

Originally posted by Gediid:

Lois Lane

The govt in Somaliland does not build anything except their personal bank accounts.They are a bunch of corrupt lazy foools who use the money they collect from the masses to build their own personal wealth.Unfortunately that is the simple truth,whatever little development you see is from the diaspora.I cant even remember what this government did that is worthy of mentioning here.There is no roads they built,no bridges rehabilitiated by them,matter of fact the money given to them by the UN agencies to build 5 bridges on the Hargeysa-Berbera highway 3/4 of that money was misappropriated by them.Awdal isnt the only province left in the dark as a result of a corrupt govt,its the whole of Somaliland that is suffering.

Where is the money coming from to build all that? You guys are pathetic lol..Use your head people. SL is a very poor nation still. They have about 40 Mil(US) a year to run the whole country and much of that is going into the Army and Police after wages has been paid.