Sign in to follow this  
Jumatatu

Ex-Somali leader sued for war crimes

AYOUB   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

Ali Samanter for all he was worth back in his heydays is no better off right now then me or the next person.

Speak for yourself mate :D;)

Lets wait and see the outcome of the case. People then we shall all sue each other until kingdom come.

:D

I would like to now thank Rahima for sticking up for me, what are families for if not that. ;)

And I would like to appoint OG. Girl to defend me against Jumatutu, I dont know what I have done to the guy, he seems to have replaced Xarago as my shadow :eek:

Oh Xarago welcome back darling :D

A late Eid Mubarak to everyone ...

Haddad   

I don't get what those who're suing Samatar are trying to prove. Samatar is an old man, and there's little money in his possession. It's not easy to prove he allegedly allowed "war crimes and other human rights abuses to be committed in the 1980s." There are no documents proving that.

Gabbal   

Speak for yourself mate

Ah..Ayoub wlc back sxb :D I have to say that I almost, almost being key word here ;) , missed your little punts at me these past months. :D

Rahima   

Maybe it sounds naïve, but I think we Somalis should lay the bloody past to rest. Let bygones by bygones and move on.

Agree wholeheartedly, off topic, but maybe we should extend this motto to the dead, including Siyaad Barre and Caydiid (some of us have the habit of bringing up their past actions at every given moment ;) , like it makes it a different at this moment in time).

what are families for if not that.

I said I was well connected, not necessarily the same connections icon_razz.gif*denying such connections, very much ashamed*.

Another point, why should this man be sued when we have others just like him :confused: (assuming that he is what is being said about him) and even worse as part of our current government? This is just ****** !

OG_Girl   

lol@Potato peeling in Combodia. Rahima since you both well connected , I don't worry much about my cousin Smith, he will be ok dear smile.gif .

Smith, I can't be between you and youe Abti Jumatatu dee.In Arabic we say ( khaal waled) means Abti is like a father, so he will be nice to you cousin ...About xarago I pray to God you wont fall between her hand the woman is so into you , she loves you so much , do some thing about it ;);) .

Ok, serious note. As we say ( 3afa Allaho 3ama salaf). Let us forgive and start over. Suing poor grandy wont do good for any one, leave them to Allah's justice .

This ugly revenge is disgusting.My family suffered from late regime even more than any one else.God only knows how much but again Allah loves those who forgive.

Salam

Xarago   

We are talking about thousands of people who were killed by state machines simply on the basis of being a clan from the north-west. Their intelectualls, businessman and ordinary able civilians were picked from their houses and excuted on broad daylight without charge or even the right of going through courts. Cities such Hargeysa, Burco and Berebera were continuosly carpet bombed by planes from the goovernment that was meant to protect them. The atrocities committed against the people of S/land by a state that they were part of is imposible to imagine. And I repeat it was not civil-war or clan vs clan, it was State against the inhabitants of S/land. To come around now and say let by gones be bygones is an abuse to intelligence and the thousands of lives that perished under this represive state. Revenge is certainly not in our agenda but we are adamant not create situation which allowed such atrocities to take place again, and that is clear by not being part of that state again.

Thousands of people were killed in the late 70s and the beginning of the 80s simply because of clan membership in Northern Mudugh and Nugaal. This was at a time when your clan were firmly in favor of the dictatorship of General Barre. The same people have been massacred in southern Somalia at the fall of the Somali government. These people don't seek prosecution of the perpetrators, but they want to move forward.

Saying let bygones be bygones is rather the most intelligent thing to say if you want your people to live in peace.

Now your ranting about: boohoohoo we Northerners were such masaakiin. Doesn't mean the slightest bit to me. You chose to look the other way when other Somalis were treated like livestock. So spare me the cock and bull please.

Xarago   

^Huuno dont flatter yourself am not crying neither trying to get your sympathy. I was only responding logically to those who have suggested let by gones be bygones. If that came for you I would have not responded, cause I would have known it came from a under age irrational git.

As for those whom you claim to have been killed in late seventies and early eighties it simply was a response to what their kinsmen did in early 1960's. And what happened to them in early 1990's was a response to a fatal and wrong choice they made at that time. Marka huuno hala shir imaan jabkada, Somalida waxay ku mahmahda..ama afeef hore laho ama adkeysi dambe, huuno labadaba ma heysatiid.

Rahima   

Xarago and Nationalist,

Reading your posts on this thread can only force one to conclude that the two of you are nothing more than die hard qabiillists (not that i am saying that this is so, rather it is seemingly so) who are always defending the wrongs of their clansmen whilst demonizing another- but that’s ok, it seems to be a trait of our people smile.gif .

Get over yourselves and this role you guys seem to be so found of. Victim hood does not stand up as far as Somalis are concerned (except may be if you are from one of the smaller tribes, which the two of you obviously are not).

All in all, do us all a favour and hush- we’ve had enough :rolleyes: .

Now where were we OG_girl, ah yes. How is Kenya this time of year smile.gif ?

NGONGE   

The thing about this issue is that it’s an individual thing. Someone who has suffered at the hands of someone else will react differently when given the opportunity for revenge. Some people are strong and have enough Iman that allows them to forgive; Others, due to the suffering and oppression they went through, are bitter, depressed, feel that all the ills that befell them in life were due to the treatment they suffered at the hands of their assailants! It’s understandable then that these people WILL seek revenge and try to see their foe punished. The people of Chile tried to do it to General Pinchot. The Bosnian Muslims tried to do it to Slobodan Milosevic and Radovan Karadzic! The Rwandans complained about a number of war criminals too.

A war crimes tribunal exists to deal with such things. The fact that the person who committed these crimes is now old and frail is neither here nor there. Did he commit what most people would consider to be a crime against humanity? Is there proof of such a crime? Can he be punished for such crimes? These are the questions to be asked, not the emotional mumbo jumbo of age, excusing someone from being punished for their wrongdoing! Now, in a fair and just world, every person that has a grievance should get his grievance heard. It is not sad (as some brother said), it’s not wrong and it’s not unnatural for people to complain. Rahima spoke about it not being Islamic which in a way is irrelevant to the way the topic has gone now; because, though I agree that it’s, probably, un-Islamic to complain to a “kaafir†court, it does not negate the fact that the complaint exists and that the plaintiff will still complain in an Islamic court and be heard. They might even win their case!

The only thing that remains to be cleared here is; Are those complaining, doing so as a result of some “tribal†vendetta? Or, do they have genuine grievances? :confused:

Ngonge, my point exactly. There is no doubt in mind that these two men are criminals. And criminals should be sentenced accordingly.

But my objection to this case is that it will lead to a chaotic and vicious chainreaction of tribal vendettas thrown from one side to the other.

As I said before. Let bygones be bygones and move on. You can't wake up the dead, your own clock is ticking.