Sign in to follow this  
djibsomali

1 MILLION PEOPLE .. THAT IS ALL IN SOMALILAND

Fabregas   

A relative of mine told me my lil cousin registered a couple of times. So there might be an element of truth to this. :D

Thankful   

war, starvation, Child mortality, maternal mortality, poverty, diseases, food shortages etc severely limit population growth. Somalia ranks high amongst all these indicators.

IRIN

So true!!! The problem is happeneing all over the nation. Insha'Allah the local admins will work together to try and help the poor.

SOMALIA: Livelihoods at risk as drought worsens in western Somaliland

Photo: Mohamed Amin Jibril/IRIN

Indha-Deeq Mohumed Ahmed, a resident of Galolay area, southeast of Gabiley, collects grass from a ploughed field. A prolonged drought in the region has caused livestock deaths, increasing the people's vulnerability

IJARA, 29 July 2009 (IRIN) - A prolonged drought is causing large-scale livestock deaths, increasing the vulnerability of residents living in the mid-western Gabiley region of Somalia's self-declared republic of Somaliland, local officials say.

"We have not experienced such drought before," Mohamed Ahmed Abdi, Gabiley governor, said. "Before, the drought affected either the people on the farms, or the animals, but now it is affecting [both]."

Abdi said agro-pastoralists living south of the main road connecting Gabiley to Hargeisa, Somaliland's capital, and neighbouring Kalabait area, may have lost up to 70 percent of their sheep to the drought.

Dahir Abdillahi, a resident of Ijara village in Gabiley, told IRIN: "I had 50 sheep two months ago but they started dying off one by one; when it rained a week ago, another 10 died, leaving me with only 10 sheep."

Abdi said carcasses of dead cows littered most of Ijara; camels are better adapted to drought.

According to the Food Security and Nutritional Analysis Unit (FSNAU Somalia) of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), an acute food and livelihood crisis was emerging in parts of Somaliland due to recent rain failure, compounded by three previous seasons of poor rainfall.

In its June quarterly food security and nutrition brief, FNAU said pasture resources in areas that experience moderate rains had been quickly depleted due to large livestock in-migration from neighbouring rain-deficit areas.

"There is a high level of livestock off-take, as well as high abortion rates, culling of kids/lambs, and drought-induced livestock diseases," FSNAU stated.

Food availability

According to Ijara resident Mohamoud Mousa Warsame, the village has lost some 1,500 sheep and more than 600 cattle.

"I am in my 60s [yet] this is the first time we [have] experienced such drought," Warsame said. "I had more than 50 sheep, but 20 died in the drought; two of my cows have also died."

Warsame said sheep were the most affected due to a lack of pasture and the start of the cold weather had escalated the deaths.

Photo: Mohamed Amin Jibril/IRIN

Carcasses of dead cows litter most of Ijara, where prolonged drought has led to high number of livestock deaths

The region has suffered two consecutive failed Gu [long] rains seasons.

According to Warsame, about half of Ijara residents have run out of food reserves and were surviving on one meal a day or skipping meals altogether.

Sharing food among neighbours has increased as has the sharing of reserve food with the animals.

"Villages such as Taysa, Bodhley and Boqor have also been affected by the drought," said Mohamed Da'ud Ahmed, chairman of the Ijara village elders, adding that there was a need for food aid to help cope with the drought, which has lasted about 10 months.

According to Amina Mohamoud, a mother of six from Ged-abeera village near the border with Ethiopia, the drought was increasing food hoarding.

"I came from Ged-abeera to Ijara looking for food to buy but because of the drought, people who have some sorghum or maize are refusing to sell," Mohamoud said.

Food prices have soared. "Before, we used to buy 1kg of sorghum and maize for 2,000 Somaliland shillings each [uS$0.28] but now this has doubled to 4,000 shillings [$0.57] - if you can find a place to buy it from," Mohamoud said. "We used to sell our animals to buy food, but nowadays all our animals are dead."

Desperate to feed their surviving livestock, residents are collecting grass loosened during ploughing in the fields for their animals.

"I have come to look for food for my animals," an elderly Indha-Deeq Mohumed Ahmed, told IRIN in the Galolay area, southeast of Gabiley. She has been left with three cows out of a herd of 30.

Ahmed, who was collecting grass, said: "My son went to town to work... and you can see me working at this age."

More people are moving to the towns. "We do not have the exact statistics, but we know that several hundred agro-pastoralists have moved to the urban centres where they are living with relatives," said Aden Muhumed Badde, mayor of Gabiley.

He said the region's residents had been living in difficult conditions for almost two years with little support.

"We do not have the facilities to support these people. We are calling on the government and the international community to send food and medicine for the people and the animals affected by the drought," Badde said.

Chimera   

lol Xiin i agree, those statistics are static as hell, and should be taken with a grain of salt, same with the GDP/ppp that never seems to change despite the strong economic gains.

Somalia and Yemen have the same growth rate, Yemen in the last twenty years doubled her population from 11 million to 22 million, Somalia's population before the civil war was 7 million, now twenty years later the population of Somalia should not be lower than 14 million and could be in the environment of 16 - 18 million considering the 4% growth rate. Add to that the 4.5 million living in SomaliGalbeed, the 2 million living in Kenya, Djibouti and Yemen and another 1-2 million in the Diaspora and the 25 million estimate of mine isn't so farfetched at all.

Taleexi   

Originally posted by djibsomali:

if ridicule could have killed.

It should have killed you!!!

because they want to come to the west kulahaa!!

ahahahah....

The whole problem was multiple registration and underage registrations.

proof:

warka25.jpg

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE???

with all the children included somaliland is less than a 1 million.

bite the bullet and take it whether you like it or not

Why would you compromise this person's identity, why not honor his privacy smile.gif

Som@li   

1.3 million registered voters, not bad.

I agree with Adam, I personally estimate Somalis to be over 20 Million.

RedSea   

Originally posted by nuune:

warka25.jpg

LOOL.

Well, I'm pretty sure Somaliland's pop. far exceeds 1 million. Not even close. It's around 4-5million at least.

Poker   

even with duplicates still looming inside the server database the population of somaliland excluding (khaat leaves) is only 1 millions.

don't shoot the messenger

here aknowledged by the somaliland press, government and opposition.

Markaanu aragnay darasad lagu sameeyay Serverka iyo tayadiisa Software-ku inay aad u hoosayso oo aanay lahayn hufnaantii looga baahnaa. Markaanu eegnay I aan tiradii xogihii laga soo
diiwaangeliyey dalka oo dhamayd 1,363,162 codbixiye marka laga reebo 96,111 codbixiye oo lagu reebay xogtii sawirka iyo farta oo midna lahayn tayadii lagu kala saari lahaa.

Those are the ELIGIBLE voters, CHILDREN not included.

Atleast 2/3 of Somliland population are kidz who can't be registered as voters.

If you really wanna get technical, there souldn't be more than 700,000 ELIGIBLE voters in Somaliland at large.

if the previous card was a 5 years old. here an other one who is under 12 years old.

you can claim whatever you like but the coins on the photo proof genuine case of fraud in a proportion never seen before.

And still under 1 millions.

warkaj1.jpg

Juje   

And still under 1 millions.

Like JB I ask is there 1 millions?

millions or 1 million i leave it to be rectified by those that believe they are well versed in Shakespeare language.

the purpose was me to be understood and that is done!!