Sign in to follow this  
BOQORKA BORAMA

18th May...Celebrating 14 years of independance from wartorn Somali Republic

Sincere   

I once walked in on my 6 year old neice, bless her heart, singing a song I despise. She had the volume real loud , and was singing along " my milkshake friends are better than yours damn right , they better better than yours". That was the last time she watched MTV, (at least around me )......

Happy celebrations landers, Enjoy..

Sky   

Originally posted by wind.talker:

quote:

Originally posted by NGONGE:

This man is an ignoramus, an ill-informed, ill-prepared and inarticulate simpleton.

What else could I possibly add to this?
this:

Riyaale%20oo%20maskaxumadii%20ku%20darsa

images speak louder than words!

:cool:

ngonge= Rahima’s photos were of hospitals that (if I may hazard a guess) were built decades ago, the pride seems to originate from the fact that these hospitals are still standing! In fact, two thirds of all Somali/Somaliland photos that I’ve seen so far have either been of old buildings or natural sights.

anyone in this world would find it astonishing that at least some of the beautiful buildings some of us (such as myself) grew up with are still standing tall in one of the most anarchic and dangerous cities in the world, if not thé most. but i know where youre coming from, a relative of mine also realised that all the infrastructure like ports and highways and airports are all build by non-somalis, while the somalis think of the burj al arab of a crooked standing 4 store building. he asked himself; are somalis useless? i replied: are we entitled to say no?

EX-XISBIGA -

Which river: the Nile or the Congo? I personally like the Congo because great stories have emerged from that corner of our beloved continent, Africa.

However, its good to see you support NSS officer-turned-Somaliland president. Believe it or not, I support him too because he was 'elected' - as you've pointed out. Remind me again: wasn't there a dispute about his March 2003 victory over Ahmed Siilaanyo? Something about how UDUB spent tax money to fund their campaign. Any bells yet?

Nonetheless, its always good to support David in his battle against Goliath. Riyaale is David (as a member of the minority, of course :D ) and, well, you already know who Goliath is. What's surprising is that Goliath has gotten so fat that's he's virtually immobile or doesn't know what to do. But Goliath is sure of one thing: David really f-ed up and he gotta go - but how? :confused: He's the 'elected' leader, no? Viva UDUB! Viva minority rule, majority silence. You see, its all part of 'democracy.'

Do you know how Hitler was allowed to become so powerful within Germany? Because he convinced the German people that the Jews were the enemy. Riyaale's power stems from the fact that he's constantly saying 'Puntland' is the enemy. Continue to empower him - saying 'Puntland is the enemy' won't change anything. It won't build schools, it won't renovate hospitals, its just words, words and more words. And more importantly, its a strategy to keep YOUR eyes (as a Somalilander) off the ball (the real issues). Cheers, mate :D

ADNAAN   
Originally posted by wind.talker:

Viva minority rule, majority silence. You see, its all part of 'democracy.'

[qb]

I never thought that some ppl on this site are so blinded by qabiyaalad and the ideology that minorities are weighed according to their numbers, but then I guess I was very naive to make such assumptions. On a serious note though I will WALAAHI advice you to look for some sort of a treatment as you are the hope of many ppl who are stranded and are hostages to qabyaalad back home. :(

LANDER   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^^ You and Phanta in a politics thread? :eek:

Amazing!
:D

Oh well, at least LANDER will be happy that someone is taking notice of his
war cry
:D

I see your itching for an exchange, but why the antagonism towards gabdhaxa? I use to assume you really were searching for rational discourse and hence the reason you so displayed your pessimism, yet at times it only seems your main purpose is to appear as the black sheep irrespective of the subject at hand. You and I can bounce ideas of each other sitting around a fire sippin on caano geel sxb, cheap sarcasm is not necessarily the best way to go about it. Perhaps you would like to open another thread? in due time exchange views whether ideological, philosophical, political etc.. It doesn't really matter sooner or later I am convinced you will sing the praises of mandeeq :D , call it wishful thinking if you must.

NGONGE   

Heh. The comment above was not a dig at you, saaxib. Honest. smile.gif

This is the second time someone accuses me of trying to ‘appear’ indifferent/black sheep, etc! What gives? I disagree with the view that Somaliland (and Somalia) is doing great. I believe it to be a distorted view that relies more on hope and sentiment than fact. It worries me that most Somalis seem to hold that view! Those back home can hope all they want (frankly, it’s the only thing that would keep them going). They can also feel great about the smallest development. But, you and I should not be satisfied with what they deem sufficient. I’ll keep repeating that in the strongest possible words, because, believe it or not, this site (and others on the net) is the closest we have to a broadcasting news medium.

You were right on one thing though, when it comes to Somaliland issues, I’m always itching for an exchange. What better time to review the progress of that place than the month of May? My hope is that the questioning will start now, that someone will start trying to measure the progress of Somaliland this time. That though time will be set aside for remembering all those that fell in the name of freedom, the bulk of the time will really be dedicated to reflecting on how their efforts were repaid!

^^ Not at all... just telling it as it is.

;) . Calling a whole region that has such long history a minority, is pure insults.

Watch this video Abdirahman Aw Farah - Kulmiye's Vice Chairman. A former SNM high profile and a former Vice President of Somaliland. And if you didn't know, he is a highly respected gentleman from Borama. An excellent interview. :D

ps

right click and save as - it might take sometime if you are on dialup but no problems with high speed connections

NGONGE.....The defination of insanity is always doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. Somalia and Somaliland did indeed made no real progress econimically, socially or politically. Progress can't be achieved if we are stuck with the same old leaders who are doing the same old things.

SULDAANKA -

SXB, its funny how you find my comments odd but you conviently overlook EX XISBIGA when he makes comments such as:

Originally posted by Ex-Xisbiga:

...the enemies are plenty on this landfill, you will quickly learn the rhetoric and abusive language certain groups, in particular puntlanders use around here. Just to let you know how sick some people here are, they (i mean so called puntlanders)

I was merely showing him how 'Puntland' should be the least of his worries. Riyaale is busying robbing the people of Somaliland out of their hard-won status of today, but UDUB mouthpieces like EX XISBIGA wanna entertain us with stories of how 'Puntland' is THE enemy. I'm of the assumption that the enemy is from within.

Originally posted by ADNAAN:

On a serious note though I will WALAAHI advice you to look for some sort of a treatment as you are the hope of many ppl who are stranded and are hostages to qabyaalad back home.
:(

What kind of treatment do you recommend? I've been searching for a cure for my tribal illness for years. Share ideas - afterall, SOL is a place where ideas are shared. Thanks smile.gif

AYOUB   

Ngonge

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what can you do for your country" - JKF

No need to rant because we're not celebrating the president's birthday but the effort, time the ordinary people have invested to make Somaliland what it is today.

After all, Somaliland is doing great. It’s democratic, buildings are sprouting all over the place and there is even a university or two. Might as well sit on our laurels and enjoy the fruits of 14 years of hard work.

No one said sit, just enjoy... :D

I found myself completely disagreeing with all his viewpoints on terrorism, Ethiopia, Arabs, the West, Israel and the rest of Somalia!

Start a topic titled: "my viewpoints on terrorism, Ethiopia, Arabs, the West, Israel and the rest of Somalia" and let it out.

Peace

ADNAAN   

Wind smile.gifsmile.gif ...well that's the spirit bro, now we can get somewhere. I will recommend you go back home and marry from the smallest tribe in our nation and if u find her where u live dats even better.

NGONGE   

Ayuub, thanks for the JFK sound bite, saaxib. I can’t help noticing that you’ve taken my words to heart though! In fact, I’m half-tempted to get into a pointless brawl with you over your defensiveness of Somaliland with the words: Somaliland meyad ega xigta (or some such nonsense).

The president is the face of Somaliland. His policies govern the fate of that land. His words (whether you agree with them or not) are the viewpoint of his country! When you celebrate 14 years of independence, it’s not a religious, cultural or traditional celebration, saaxib. It is, for all intents and purposes, a political celebration. Could it then be a farfetched and daring effrontery on my part when I question the leader of that land?

Maybe my words come across as mere rants, maybe I have become a grumpy old man, maybe I’m missing the plot! It’s all opinion I suppose.

Pipedreams and sandcastles don’t interest me. Solid foundations, informed citizens and energetic governments do. Right now, sadly, such things don’t exist in Somaliland (or Somalia). Valid criticism is faced with comments such as that JFK nonsense that you’ve just posted (what exactly did you think I was doing by airing these views of mine? Trying to annoy you perchance?).

Perhaps I should become a demagogue and try to appeal to your emotions in order to show you that this government is not firing on all cylinders! Maybe I should invoke the souls of all those fallen fighters; the sacrifices of the poor and the hard work of the honourable, then compare it to the government’s achievements in the last 14 years!

As long as I’m faced with rhetoric such as yours, I am and will always be a Somaliland critic. In being so and doing so, I believe (call me mad) that I’m doing much more than those that build buildings or wave flags! For buildings are easily destroyed and flags, as we’ve already seen with the flag of the Somali Republic, are effortlessly discarded. Ideologies though, never die.

Here is an idea, saaxib (and I hope you don’t take any of my words as a personal attack). From now and until the 18th of May, whenever you get a free moment to yourself, try to sit and think about what Somaliland means to you. Just to save you some time and make the task slightly more difficult, I’ll ask you to ignore all the usual drivel about it being home, being the land of your ancestors, etc..

Try to think of it as a nation, an independent, democratic and ‘sovereign’ nation. Think about what it can do for YOU, where do you want it to take you and how you would like to see it heading in the next five years. If you come back with any positive answers, I hope you’ll be good as to share them with me. If you don’t, I urge you to spread the word to your fellow Somaliland citizens and take the mist out of their eyes. Maybe then people will be more informed and Somaliland will really start to have a brighter future.

PS

I realise that criticising Somaliland in this forum might seem distasteful (maybe even an act of treason) to you. What with all these people that don’t acknowledge its existence, joining in the discussion every few minutes and putting Somaliland down. But, like a hungry man that ignores the flies as he tucks down into his plate of nice food, I implore you to take no notice of the sideshow and focus instead on this scrumptious dish I’ve served up for you.