Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

A word to the wise

Baashi   

A word to the wise

Now that Khartoum meeting is approaching, all the concerned parties need to attend. Even though Col. Aways has some reservation about the utility of such discussion, still we can expect some changes in the UIC camp before this meeting commences. As the popular cliché had it, you only make peace with your enemy not with your friends. Whatever happen "Hudeybia approach"?

Col. Aways is totally wrong in refusing to take part of the Khartoum meeting. There is no excuse for his refusal to let Sheikh Sherif send the highly regarded delegates to Khartoum. The UIC is in a position of strength today. The TFG is cornered. The top leadership is in state of confusion and is now willing to put all their cards on the table! Why not exploit the situation the TFG is in today by giving them an opportunity to save face? The only alternative for them to stay in the game is to ask Ethiopian backup!! Why not give them a way out all the while you play your game according to Islamic principles. This is an age-honored practice. Well-intentioned Arab League has succeeded to drag the TFG to the peace table and it did this with the understanding that it already has UIC delegates on board! Why not honor their effort?

What if UIC objectives can be attained through peaceful means? What if the TFG is willing to scrap all the cabinet ministers and replace with UIC members? What if half of the parliamentarian representatives volunteer giving up their seats for Islamist to fill in? Why not explore all these far-fetched possibilities (rumors at this stage) and see where the old man really stand and what he demands in return for the TFG concessions? They may have the opportunity to modify the Mpagathi constitution and make it a one that is compatible to Islam!

You see there are deeply held suspicions and animosity as well between these two camps. These misunderstandings can be cleared clean with one swipe by talking in Khartoum instead of through radio wavelengths. The TFG needs Ethiopia and it is they that called Ethiopia to rescue their behind. They did this as a survival tactic thinking that UIC militias were their way to take Baidowa. They had good reason to think that way. After all UIC militia were sweeping towns in the neighboring provinces. By talking you will induce clarity to the murky political machinations.

If political questions of what UICs’ and TFG’s demands are and what are they willing to concede in return is answered, then the TFG can have real opportunity to weigh in the alternatives for not bringing foreign troops. All these subtle understanding can be had by just talking. Why not start talking to each other?

The UIC needs to sit down with the TFG for the sake of peace and stability for the region. That does not mean they should compromise their principle political position. Far from it, they must stand tall and remain true to their Islamic principles but they should give the old man an opportunity to reject Islamic approach to the Somalia's problem. Refusing to do so is a fatal blow to UIC credibility.

Waayo-Arag

they should give the old man an opportunity to reject Islamic approach to the Somalia's problem.

They don't have to, he do this voluntarily on his own all the time. He is pro-democracy, he said so himself.

^ lol that is what i was thinking....isnt it abvious. it is kind of like saying is colen powell black?

anyways, I beleive that ethiopia should be out of the somali soil before UIC can take any step, because either ways , meles presence and his ideologies will not be absent in the discussion table. Mr Baashi- thank you for driving us in the imaginary world for a minute or two..but you picture a somalia with out any outside influence :eek: is there such a thing?

Gabbal   

I think this surpasses our Landers in the hope in the unseen.

He is pro-democracy, he said so himself.

Didi, so Islam and democracy are not combatible?

It’s not ‘a hope in the unseen’ to suggest that dialog is the only way forward for the Islamic Courts to succeed in their mission. In the end the Courts will attend in the planned talks. There just isn’t any other viable option for them. I can understand them buying time and sitting it out for now but as good Baashi suggests they are in an advantageous position to negotiate. An obvious challenge for the Courts is they seem to have blurred their diplomatic voice. Sharif’s eloquence and his unique talent to articulate political vision shouldn’t be replaced by good Sh.Dahir’s resentful pronouncements. This is a time of diplomacy and not an opportunity to settle old scores. And the Courts need to realize that. I think they will.

Go to Khartoum and negotiate, I say.

Juje   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Go to Khartoum and negotiate, I say.

I think that will be fair stance looking at it from one angle. Negotiation is fair and that is what and why this TFG has been set up for to reconcile Somalis.

The question will be which part of the 4.5 will the ICU represent. After all that has been the denominating factor of Somali reconciliation platform.

I assume everything will be put out of proportion and enrage the individuals who are today queing to resign in hope of paralysing the TFG government, once the ICU puts forward its demands in a negotiating table.

Gabbal   

It’s not ‘a hope in the unseen’ to suggest that dialog is the only way forward for the Islamic Courts to succeed in their mission.

I'm sure you know that's not what I ment and infact I am sure you know just what I ment.

The TFG and the Courts are not combatible and no amount of personal opinion and/or wishful thinking will change that fact.

HornAfrique,

To answer your question, it doesn't make much of a difference whether Islam and democracy are compatible or not because Islam as a religion rejects all other systems except for the Shariicah which is the body of Islamic law as legislated by Allah. What does this mean for Somalia? I don't have the slightest clue.

Xoogsade   

Whatever could have happened between the ICU and the TFG was eclipsed by the internal crisis the TFG is going through. Latest stories talk about Geeddi giving orders to shut down the airport to incoming flights apart from qat/jaad flights to avoid any part of his government traveling to Sudan. Shariif Xasan and co are postponed.

Politically, the ICU has the upper hand as their objective is based on spreading islamic sharia while the TFG opposes such objectives. For the ICU to be incorporated into the TFG, the TFG will have to look more islamic or nothing will come to fruition. The best we can hope for is no wars initiated and the courts hold on to their pledge of no attacks while the TFG comes to the conclusion that islam won't harm them and they would move to Muqdisho to announce their ideological conversion away from the ethiopian influence. It is hoping for the impossible

but that is the best way. This conflict is beyond clan or someone with personal vendetta. It is about belief systems.

Geeddi oo Xanibaad kusoo rogay

brothers, ICU's whole purpose is to confuse people. If their intention like they have said at first was to chase out warlords from the capital, more power to them and they have the support of all Somalis even though we knew that among were some of the worst warlords and terrorist like indo, aweys and salaat. If this is truely what they were after, what do the have negotiate with TFG about? The problem of our country has thus far been based clan difference and not religous difference. This problem is what the tfg was formed to address. who is not a muslim in Somalia that they are fighting. I really wish people here would be honest about why they support factions created to undermine the government and stop hiding behind fake slogans. I also don't understand how thinking Somalis who mean well, I assume, such as baashe, would advocate for useless negotiations ment only to confuse people. what are they going to negotiate about, which one should disarm?

RedSea   

The courts objective is clear and it's not something to create confusion and to waste our precious time over. First the Ethiopian (Amxaaro) troops must withdraw from Somali soil, then we can have any talks that you request, this is where the courts' stand,so where does col. warlord yey stand on this issue?

Before the Ethiopian troops entered Somalia, they (the courts) were more than willing to negotiate warlord Yey's government and only since the Ethiopian troops entered Somalia did the courts backed off from further talks until a complete withdrawal of Ethiopian troops from the Somali territory occurs.

Abdullahi Yusuf knew the courts weren't probably going to have any sort of discusions with him if he didn't respect the initial agreements between the courts and his TFG which was to halt any steps to bring foreing troops into the country since they were the opposition group and thus willing to nagotiate. So this itself broke the initial promise made by the TFG of not to bring foreing troops before the talks resumed.They did, so the courts refused and this is exactly the right move and the wise choice of this political game.

Mr. Naxar, did I mention to you that you complain too much, well you do by the way. First show me the government the befits in the term 'government' then we can support it, you are blaming the people here to support non existing and nonfunctioning piece of garbage assembled somewhere else, does that make any sense at all, I think I don't understand why you have to support it at all.

thanks,

Mr. REDY.

Baashi, wadaada ku sheega 'maxkamadaha' la baxay aren't as homogeneous as they vainly try to reprsent.

Some qunyar-socod are well-known, like their moderate public face Shariif Sheekh Axmed's modesty, whose ideology is closer to Islaax than to any group gooni u taagan and within the so-called maxkamado, and his antithesis other waran-labood oo kii kasoo horbaxo ama isqilaafaan madaxa ka gooye ma'ahee wax kale socon, one such is Ceyroow.

I don't know what real wadaado call them, but I think in la yiraahdo 'takfiir' or something, which obviously derived from their tendency to label wixii kasoo horjeedo gaalraac or gaal. Their ideology is very, very dangerous and as threatening to Shariif Sheekh Axmed to as any Soomaali commoner.

Most waxa soo haray are between those two extreme poles. Korneel Xasan Daahir Aweys and his proteges Ceyroow iyo Indhamadoowe would and will never, ever sit a table and make peace, particularly not as advantageous as they are today. They have the biggest opportunity, since waligood xukun doon ahayeen, by bloodshed or by whatever other means.

These days I've the privilege to converse with some well-known sheekhyo, such Cukaash from Neyroobi and Sh. C/naasir from Masar. Their internal knowledge of who is who of the so-called courts [siiba kuwa ku jiro golaha 'shuurada' la magac baxay that publically aren't well-known] and their simmering qilaaf and power struggle that is barely covered up is beyond shocking. I as a cynic as I ever was was shocked, walaahi.

We can see dowlada kumeergaarka in uu dhexdeeda qilaaf weyn ka jiro, but kuwaan ayaa ka daran waxa ka jiro la qariyo. So give them a few months. Adigaa arki doontid sida loo kala jabi doono, waxa kasoo bixi doono.

Xoogsade   

I wish I had sheekh cukaashe's e-mail/ph# so I could ask him about what miskiin wrote for verification(I saved it in my personal e-mail just in case I get to opportunity to ask). I will definitely be able to find out where I can contact him as that is easy for me inshallah if I put my mind to it. This is, of course, if this sheekh cukaashe is the one whose house in Nairobi I visited along with a cousin of mine who had business deal with him back in the days. The cukaashe who read tafsiir on Sixth street.

Not nice to associate sheekhs with a talk unbecoming of them. Hard to believe any dignified sheekh would talk behind others like this.

Qof baa ceeboobi doono halkaan.

Nur   

Miskin

waxaad qortay

We can see dowlada kumeergaarka in uu dhexdeeda qilaaf weyn ka jiro, but kuwaan ayaa ka daran waxa ka jiro la qariyo. So give them a few months. Adigaa arki doontid sida loo kala jabi doono, waxa kasoo bixi doono.

As A Muslim who is concerned about the well being of his people, Wouldnt it be better instead for you to wish them to bridge their differences which you claim to be much greater than the TFG? If your claim is indeed true, wouldnt it be very hard to imagine them staying together beyound the fall of Mogadishu, specially when the warlords were still operating in many pockets of Mogadishu, Ethiopian Forces in Baidoa and the US warships on nearby shores?

To wish them to disintegrate in chaos with idealopgical differences beyound repair is un-Islamic, you should pray that Allah bridges their differences and that they accomplish peace, Unity and brotherhood in face of enemies of our faith and people.

Nur

Rahima   

Not nice to associate sheekhs with a talk unbecoming of them. Hard to believe any dignified sheekh would talk behind others like this.

Xoogsade, it’s possible that the ICU shaykhs/members may have points which they disagree on (it is natural, even the saxaba did not agree on everything), but obviously they are not so great as to cause division and we should all pray as pointed out by Nur that this does not happen.

Likewise though, I too doubt that Sh Cukaash (who is a long time family friend and came to see us whilst we were in Xamar) would say anything contrary to the above- he most definitely is not that kind of person to wish for the breakdown of the union.