Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Handshaking at Interviews

I have heard of the horrors of shaking the hand of an opposite-sex person (read this book about the trails of heaven & hell---had nightmares for days). However, when it comes to job interviews...when they are talking about making a good impression..right after one's personal appearance is how you greet your prospective employer..i.e.. smiling & giving a firm handshake. They always seem to stress that as very important part of the interveiw process.

Anyways..for those nomads who are working. Did you come across this little problem? And how did u handle it? What was their reaction?

I already know that one shouldn't....but does one's intention matter?

Modesty   

Salaamu alaykum.

I had that happen to me alot of times.I usually tell them I don't shake hands, it's a religious thing. They should understand. And remember that Allah is the one who gives rewards(i.e.good jobs, and such) in this life, not a human being.If you are meant to have a that job, you'll get it, but get it pleasing Allah(subhana'wat3aala ).When you do actions that are pleasing to Allah, Allah will love you more, and when Allah loves you, everyone will love you!! Don't sell your deen for the fruits of this dunya!!

As-salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa baarakatu

This is far from being a “Little†problem, it’s a serious issue that carries severe repercussions.

(edit) In a narration by Ma’qil ibn Yassaar said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “ For one of you to be stabbed in the head with an iron needle is better for him than that he should touch a woman who is not permissible for him .â€

Narrated by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer, 486. Shaykh al-Albaani said in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045, that this hadeeth is saheeh.

Here is a beneficial approach that seems to functions, And Success lies with Allah.

I can not vouch for very province or country for that matter, but the general line of orientation for job applications follows the following sequence: drop off your CV/resume, this can be carried out by fax/email or in person. To reduce personal contact, fax is essentially the most viable and suitable approach provided that it’s available. Once you receive a phone call or an e-mail by the employer expressing their interest this would be your opportunity to excel.if they left a message or e-mailed, give them a call and ask to speak to the person who conducts the interviews (if, you do not have their name). When the person gets on the phone, use the following lines

Potential employee: Good morning/afternoon/night

Employer : response to greeting

Potential employee : My name is Ahmed Ahmed, I received a telephone call regarding the customer service position in your company and I would like to extend my gratitude for the opportunity.

Employer: We have reviewed your CV/resume, are you available for an interview on the 21th of April at 9am

Potential employee:

Yes I am, thank you

If I may, I’d like to forward a small request,

Employer: Sure, what is it?

Potential Employee: I thought I’d bring this to your attention ahead of time so to avoid an awkward situation or to catch you by surprise on the day of the interview. As muslim, my religion does not permit “handshakes†between opposite sex, and I would kindly ask that we do not shake hands, I realize this is our custom but religion is very important to me.

Employer: Hmm interesting I did not know this, but ya, shouldn’t be a problem! Thank you for clearing this up,

---------

This is usually where they rant about how “NO†muslim has mention this before and you’re the first one to express this.

sahal   

Salafi Just for clarification; Would you please give us the narration of the above HADITh i.e from which HADITH BOOK E,G BUKHARI, MUSLIM, THIRMIDI, ABU DAU'D ETC. ITS LEVEL OF AUTHENTICITY E,G SAHIH, HASSAN, DHAI'IF etc.

and also if there are any similar evidences.

Thanks in Advance.

Sahal

This is far from being a “Little†problem, it’s a serious issue that carries severe repercussions.

I know that. But to alot of us....keeping up with the five pillars (praying, fasting) is hard enough. I meant those are more important to observe and should be our priority. However, I did not mean to imply that it did not matter. I take it back if people took it that way.

Thnx for the advice Modesty & Salafi. Like I said before though, does one's intention matter?

Salafi Just for clarification; Would you please give us the narration of the above HADITh i.e from which HADITH BOOK E,G BUKHARI, MUSLIM, THIRMIDI, ABU DAU'D ETC. ITS LEVEL OF AUTHENTICITY E,G SAHIH, HASSAN, DHAI'IF etc.

and also if there are any similar evidences.

As-salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa baarakatu

i revised the original post and inserted the proper narrration.

"It was narrated that Ma’qil ibn Yassaar said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “ For one of you to be stabbed in the head with an iron needle is better for him than that he should touch a woman who is not permissible for him .â€

Narrated by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer, 486. Shaykh al-Albaani said in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045, that this hadeeth is saheeh."

Like I said before though, does one's intention matter?

FF i dont understand, how does one's intention come into play?

D.A. I believe its in the sunnah---not specifically mentioned in the Qur'an. But I could be wrong.

FF i dont understand, how does one's intention come into play?

The Prophet (scw) said "Actions are judged based on their intentions". Obviously in this case it's strictly business.

OG_Girl   

FF,wallalo, without giving you a headache, I would like to tell you there is NO agreement among the Muslim scholers about handshaking(Touching opposite sex).However, the general rule is "it's Haraam if there is fear or kind of sexual desire,enjoyment or fear of temptation"... this based closing or blocking any thing leads to Haraam or means to evil.

Just use your commensense and sure Allah knows your intentions.

Allah knows best.

Salam

sahal   

Salafi, Sxb. This Hadith is in Al-tabaraani as you mentioned but not in Al-kabeer it is in Al-awsat which means Sheikh Tabarani (r.l) himself didn't put the highest (kabeer) and even if he is in the KABEER as you said we know Tabarani's Mu'jam is not among the 6 great books of HADITH (6 MOTHERS = UMMHAATU SITTA).

My point here is; I have been following this debate last 10 yrs and I don't understand why some students make small things BIG and BIG things small. we're ordered thousands other MAIN things that we didn't follow, why this small issue become so BIG that make some MUSLIMS eating RIBA (which has plenty of evidences of its prohibtion) and HARAM (which also has plenty of evidences of its prohibtion) and telling many LIES ( which also has plenty of evidences of its prohibtion) enz.. and when it comes this minor issue which has no evidence neither from QURAN nor from BIG HADITH BOOKS, saying NO our religion doen't allow us to give hand to opposite sex.

This doesn't mean we have to initiate to give hands to others but means that Muslim should keep away not only from giving hands but also from all FORBIDDEN things. and this could only be possible if one FIRSTLY keeps away from big sins like RIBA, TELLING LIES, KILLING OR ENCOURANG TO KILL OTHER MUSLIM, EATING HARAM MONEY enz. and then tries as much as he/she can to keep away from small sins like giving hands to opposite sex.

This is the opinion of ULUMA in this issue. they told us to keep away from EATING HARAM, RIBA, TELLING LIES enz. before we discuss such small things.

As-salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

Sis FF;

I completely understand the business aspect of this, however nothing restrains us from notifying the employer that “WE†do not shake hands. The “Fear†of losing a Job opportunity is not sound, since provision is ultimately from Allah. Your intention should be to obey Allah. Furthermore you run the risking of not actually getting the job after the interview and instead incurring a SIN that was intentional devised only to please a creature.

Brother Sahal jazakallahu khair you for the Clarification, I believe few clarification from my part are in order,

The Nabi(salalahu alayhi wa salam) “ whatever I forbid you from, stay away from it and whatever I command you with do as much as you canâ€

All Sins will be weighted on the Meezan, minute or large. Small sins are gathered in large portion on a perpetual basis that form and penetrates the heart leaving small black dots to cause afflict to the heart. All sins should be shunned whether small or large since they all stem from disobedience. No one should advocate or makes excuses for sins and disobedience no matter how small they are. The best approach is to avoid ALL sins as far as one is able, as for that which you have fallen short on, seek Allah’s assistance and make tawaasul through ability of leaving small sins. like the three man who were trapped in the cave!

The Nafs deceives itself by claiming this;

†Since I don’t fast during the month of randam, and I know this is a great sin, I will get my self a girlfriend, until I manage to get myself to fastâ€

This is the nafs deceiving itself, you should avoid everything specially the small sin since they are actually easy to avoid.

The fact that the hadith in not in one of the 6 books has no relevance, there is a concencus on accepting the truth no matter where it is found, likewise accepting all authentic hadith irrespective of which book it was found in compliance with Ijmaca.

My point here is; I have been following this debate last 10 yrs and I don't understand why some students make small things BIG and BIG things small. we're ordered thousands other MAIN things that we didn't follow, why this small issue become so BIG that make some MUSLIMS eating RIBA (which has plenty of evidences of its prohibtion) and HARAM (which also has plenty of evidences of its prohibtion) and telling many LIES ( which also has plenty of evidences of its prohibtion) enz.. and when it comes this minor issue which has no evidence neither from QURAN nor from BIG HADITH BOOKS, saying NO our religion doen't allow us to give hand to opposite sex.

NO one made BIG things small, and small things big. We command the good and forbid the evil at all levels.