Sign in to follow this  
Xabashi

1st woman President in Africa

Xabashi   

SPEAK ON IT

President-elect: Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf

US-educated economist and former finance minister Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf won the second round of presidential elections in November 2005 and is set to become Africa's first elected woman head of state. The poll was intended to draw a line under Liberia's war.

Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf - Liberia's "Iron Lady"

Her rival, the footballer and political novice George Weah, alleged fraud. International observers said the vote had been broadly free and fair.

Known in Liberia as the "Iron Lady", Mrs Johnson-Sirleaf drew much of her support from women voters, and from Liberia's small educated elite. She faces the twin challenges of trying to rebuild the country and of fostering reconciliation. One of her priorities is to reintegrate into society former child soldiers. She has declared a "zero tolerance" of corruption.

The president-elect served as finance minister under President William Tolbert in the late 1970s and fled the country after the Tolbert government was overthrown. She has worked for the UN and the World Bank.

Some of the opposition to Mrs Johnson-Sirleaf stems from her one-time association with former Liberian leader Charles Taylor. She briefly supported the then warlord in his quest to overthrow military leader Samuel Doe.

Born in 1938, Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf is a widowed mother-of-four.

Ibtisam   

how the hell does the poll work? :confused:

i'm not sure about that women. i liked the footballer guy; they need someone with no political or cultural hang ups (bit like somalia) she has suffered under the last "government" so the abused will become the abuser now, a big cycle.

however he had no really political plans nor a political position so maybe it is a good thing she won; move over skinny black men, it is the big mamas time to rule :D

Jafarel.   

Absolutely hilarious poll, thanx man!!!!

Couldnt agree more :D:D:D

Good luck to the lady....

I personally think they (Liberians) would be better off with a president rather than a 'presidentress' ;)

Arawella   

Bravo to Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf! Africa needs transformation and it is a step forward to elect a female president.

Somalia take note!

WOW Much Power to the big mama! I couldnt beleive they elected her, how exciting and uplifting is that for women all over the world! ofcourse they are setting her up for failure, the country is basically overrun by militants and is a dirt poor, but hopefully big sis will guide the country into political bliss by using her connections and her God given woman intuition(nothing beats that icon_razz.gif )

she has already pulled some indhoyar stunt(baw!) and the asian world came to her rescue. How ya like dat? :D

Guys..uh..ah..umm. How do I say this with the most gentle way.um..ah. Yo time is over, so move over. Halimo election is in session! :D:D:D

----------------------------------------------

Get Up!Up Even the best fall down sometimes

AbStraCt   

haha, nice to hear

But i just cant see somalia with a female president. Too much trouble with dirac iyo dahab. I mean how could she meet with the parliment if she's on her period. qix qix qix.

I keed, i keed.

But seriously.....