Sign in to follow this  
Faafan

Congressman Donald Payne Condemns Puntland/Faroole.

Faafan   

Congressman Donald Payne Tenth District - New Jersey

For Immediate Release Contact: Kerry McKenney November 20, 2009 (202) 225-3436

In late October, the Puntland government arrested five men of ******i origin. These men came to Puntland using Somali travel documents provided by Somali authorities in Yemen.

Puntland and Ethiopian security personnel, invited by Puntland authorities, interrogated the prisoners. One of the prisoners, Abdi Mohamed Hassan also known as “Abdi Teerso” was handed over to Ethiopian security. Another prisoner died while in custody. An elderly man from Puntland was arrested by Puntland authorities after he publicly criticized the government.

This is not the first time Puntland authorities have harassed, tortured, killed, and handed over men of ******i origin to Ethiopian security. Over a year ago, two senior members of the ****** National Liberation Front (ONLF) were handed over to Ethiopian security by a Puntland minister. They came, with the permission of Puntland authorities, to discuss the murder of an elder.

In June 2009, I invited President Abdirahman Mohamed Mohamud (Farole) of Puntland to testify before my Subcommittee on Somalia. After the hearing, I discussed a number of issues with him, including the targeting and the handing over of ******is to Ethiopian authorities. I was assured then that this would not happen again and that the government would reach out to this community.

In an effort to resolve the recent detention of the five men, I called the President of Puntland to discuss my concerns and strongly urged him to release them without delay. I even proposed that the men be sent to another country where they will be safe. A week passed and nothing happened.

In mid-November, I met again with the President of Puntland and his Interior Minister in Kenya to urge them to release the three men still in detention in Puntland. Again, he pledged to find ways to pardon the prisoners. In fact, Puntland authorities are now threatening non-Puntland Somalis to leave some areas within 48 hours.

I strongly condemn this abusive and dictatorial behavior and demand the immediate release of the prisoners. I also call for those responsible for the killing of the prisoner and intimidation of ******is to be held accountable, including senior officials who authorized these measures. Failure to act quickly on this matter will have serious consequences.

Thankful   

Actually there were many stories, from they were school teachers coming back from yemen who were sent to ethiopia, then they were rebels who were sent to ethiopia, then it was no they weren't sent to ethiopia but tortured to death in bosasso. Then a photo came out that was supposedly of the incident, that was proven to be fake. There has never been any concrete evidence that could stand up in a court of law. To many discrepancies and not enough facts.

I agree that President Faroole really hurt the situation by his interview regarding Somalis from that area.

The whole incident is a he said he said.

The Zack   

^That Abdi Mohamed Hassan(Teerso) has been handed over to Ethiopia is not a she said he said!!!!!! His family will not appreciate that a so called fellow Somali would dismiss his situation as "he said, she said". Isku xishoo adeer.

Abtigiis   

Thanksfulsp,

Wakaa hadda wixiini xilka la haa. The debate here is not about what they were. Let us assume they were ONLF foot soldiers for the purpose of this argument. Bal sidaa ku daa taa.

The issue was that one of them was handed over to Ethiopia, one died after being tortured and three are in custody. What more proof do you need than the acknowledgement of your Odayaal in Nairobi?

Anyway, arintaas in badan ayaa laga hadlay oo sii wad wad u ma baahna, especially when on one side of the argument a proud Mudug guy is standing with all the proverbial Índhaádayag.

Oodweyne,

Xinnfanin waa nin farabadan. Laakin al xaasil wuxuu warkiisu ku dhamaadaa difaacida Puntland sax iyo qaladba. He operates at different levels in the decency-thuggery continnum. Kol waa Aw Muse, kolna Mr. Somalia iyo Duke ayuu hawl galiyaa!

Thankful   

Again, all I have heard is hearsay and that the discrepancies in the story really show that if the story teller can't even get the facts right about who they were and whether they were sent to ethiopia or not, determines if the rest of it should be believed. Some how they weren't sure who these guys were and where they went, but finally they said they were tortured by ethiopians and died. Can I ask you. How do you know that he was tortured in Puntland and died? What is your source? What is the evidence you can provide that could be presented to a judge? Odayaal in Nairobi would could not be brought as witnesses.

If you think we are just going to believe this incident, ESPECIALLY, after there were so many changes to this story, you are mistaken.

I have noticed that Puntlands enemies have ran with this story.

Abtigiis   

Waaa runta ThanksfulSp, it was a rumour and a lie.

Ma venuezluela ayaad ku koraty adigu horta? Somali warkeeda waxaad moodaa inaadan aad u aqoon? How do I know one was tortured and killed? Simple: Ilama-adeer ayaan aheyn waa will rer harruun ah oo rer cukur ah.

Anyway, that is not evidence too.

Haben wanaagsan adeer. One good Amharic adage goes, "it is difficult to wake up one who is faking being asleep".

Thankful   

Yeah, when I was in Somalia and even know I get family calling with stories that the sky is falling and send money quick! I mean some of the most elaborate stories to. I think they believe that Somalis in the diaspora will believe anything, so they constantly make up stuff.

Anyways, yeah, you should put more effort in addressing the fighting in Kismayo right now. Because, if Puntland didn't have a government, which is your most desired wish, we'd be fighting like the south now.

Thankful   

Paragon, is not a Puntlander and has opposed all of it's administrations. You, Mr. Oodweyne are also not a Puntland and refer to it as Pirateland, so of course you are running with this story, it helps your goal.

I am not denying anything, I am just saying the facts of this case has changed so much from where these guys were jailed to a picture that was proven fake and because of these changes in the story and the dishonest picture, any one thinking reasonably should question all the facts regarding this incident. Did something happen, I don't know. There has just been to many versions for me to be convinced.

It's interesting that someone like you Mr. Oodweyne would be actual commenting on this topic, considering that the admin that rules the region that you hail from in NW Somalia has been accused of similar things in the past, but of course you never mention that, now do you?

Ethiopia established an intelligence-gathering bureau called “Ethiopian Interest

Protection Office” to pursue its opposition through its numerous agents in Hargeisa,

who has been given free license to detain, rape, torture and kill any Somali from the

"O" suspected of being an ONLF supporter.

!

Go to

"o"gadenrights.org/documents/Somaliland_Persecution.pdf (minus the quotes of course)

Should we believe this to? I know what you'll say, of course not right

Kamaavi   

ThanksfulSP,

Apparently, if you go around questioning everything, you'll never make any progress. That is, if you disagree with a relatively soft evidence(Payen's call on Faroole to releas the three men still in detenton in PL), show that you agree with some deeply conclusive evidence.

ThankfulSP wrote:

If you think we are just going to believe this incident, ESPECIALLY, after there were so many changes to this story, you are mistaken

Literally! All stories passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. If you can't grasp this simple fact, you are mistaken.

Originally posted by ThankfulSP:

I have noticed that Puntlands enemies have ran with this story.

Literally! It's the unarmed valid story or truth and unconditional love that have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.

That said, you may help youtself to think more clearly about this topic instead of point fingering at south. :D Faroole imposes a corrupt and stooge administration on the people, unlike the South, indeed.