Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Puntland no longer recognise Geedi as PM...

Xudeedi   

government"?

This is disgrace and a great scandal it only displays how weak this government is, and the whole country as well! I say all support to Cadde muse, he seems to be the only rational figure in this drama.

Keynan, don't be surprised. I agree with Gedi and he has a right to say such words. He is extremely disappointed with the so called TFG government so as the so called Cade Muuse.

Paragon   

Originally posted by samuraiW:

Whilst the concept of Human Security, Ken Booth’s Critical Security Studies in particular, is principally admirable, as you seem to have been besotted by it, here lies the flaw in my opinion with respect to Somalia and its embryonic, if distinctively peculiar, form(s) of governance, or there lack of.

SumuraiW, Somalia is indeed distinct in its statelessness but theorizing this statelessness is not beyond the grasp of Human Security. You admit that you are familiar with Ken Booth's Critical Security Theory, yet, it seems you have failed to realise that the theory is by virtue, human-centric and clearly contrary to realism's anti-statism. I am not sure whether you are mistaking Booth's theory for the Ole Woever and Barry Buzzan's Speech Acts of Coppenhagen School. Because the two theories overlap but have fundamentally different starting points, moreover Human Security tries to use the individual as the referent agent and not the state, while Speech Acts are covertly realist. Booth's theory advocates for the extention of identity to the highest possible level, and doesn't torelate exclusivity in any sense.

This is the very reason why I used it: to dispell the exclusivity thrust on Puntland's territories, which makes its leaders create a dichotomy between us and them, when in fact all Somalis are the same. As for the argument that Puntland is a state in a stateless Somalia, then, I say there is no use of having Fortress Puntland (protecting itself againts other fellow citizens) when the same knowledge and experience of state-building can be extended to the rest of the country, which if not, may latterly pose existential threat to Puntland. If Somalia is stateless then there is no point of having regional state like Puntland, waiting for a state to be born, is there? The regional state may as well seek international recognizition if it doesn't wish to comply with the Law of the Land. If not, it must make sure the attempts made to re-instate the national government are succeffully implimented, and it should be the first regional state to impliment and adhere to the national government and not the other way around.

You see, the thrust of the said theory like many others command state characteristics to be in place, hence favouring nation states with coagulated national structure in quest of institutional modernity in the context of current world economic phenomena – globalism, if you may.

No, dear SumaraiW, that is not quite the most accurate observation. The theories that command state charactertics to be in place, and who favour the nation states are usually Positivist Theories. Critical Security Theory is a post-positivist theory and does not have or adhere to traditional priorities or realities, as opposed to say theories like Liberalism and Realism. Reaslim is the dominant in IR theory that gives much importance to the nation state or statism. Critical Security theory altogether dismisses the state as unimportant.

On a different note, since you have mentioned globalism and all its Liberal Internationalist non-sense, even a fellow Positivist theory like Realism, will dismiss globalism are not very important, or Liberal Utopianism. While on the other hand, globalization has been used by Human Security Theorists to show the potential of having one human race, without which no state borders and 'enthnocentric' barriers can come between them. So you see, just in one paragraph, you have managed to jumble up remarks that will made IR lecturers gasp for oxygen with disbelief for mixing claims up.

Which is why in the case of Somalia, ‘the individualistic we [clan]’ must be satisfied with its sensitivity being observed first and foremost if ‘the congruential we [national]’ must be attained, for the latter requires the former’s exclusive submission and credence before the latter could be realised. How could one aspire to the welfare of the whole whilst subverting the eudaemonia of the one that which postulates the whole - it is beyond me. And I hope you see where I am going with this
[i wish to come back to further elucidate this point should you fail to grasp it.]

My friend, where in Puntland's case has the individual 'we' become satisfied in regards to the current situation? By resorting to satisfy a core of a small group who are, for whatever reason, considered to be the 'we' of Puntland's ruling group, as only created a periphery of other groups within Puntland who would feel they are not part and percel of the core 'we', which is limited only to the rulers of the state. This is the reason why the skirmishes in Majiyahan have occurred. Puntland's peoples have already achieved to create a state and if the state becomes an instrument through which resources are acquired by one group, it will enrage other groups and it will mean more Majiyahans. A fiefdom for the few, unconnected to national governmental system which has the capacity to provide for all.

As for state-federal relationship, what some might view as a problem as the case might be between Adde and Gedi despite who is on the right or not, I see an opportunity of working out particulars of state-federal relations - who calls the shots where and on what terms, so to speak. It is unchartered waters demanding assortment of orders with clear heads and minds. And I remain in total agreement on the matter of precedence in the case of Puntland with respect to state-federal relations.

Indeed an opportunity and a lesson on legal arrangements that answers Castro's question of "exactly who rules over who?" A lesson that a federal state - however incompetant the PM or the national government is- has no right in the constitution to disown the Prime Minister or the national parliament. That was the point I was making in regards Cade's disowning of Geedi. The other point was related to the illegality of Puntland federal state and Range Resources' agreements under the constitution, without the permission of the President, Parliament and council of ministers. This points are still as valid as their were at the time I made them.

There shall come times when clashes shall transpire, and people shall switch sides as seen fit, it be perceptions of their interest being jeopardised or marginalised. Condemning them or questioning their nationalism in the event of such occurrences, which is what you, Mr Paragon and our progeny Mr Code had done here, is most definitely not the kosher.

Erm, there was no questioning of anyone's nationalism from my part but I did condemn Cade's moves, and earlier Geedi's. I don't know about Code's position, but whatever you may call it, I stand by my position. And I stand to be disproved. smile.gif

^^^ The deal is still on, so Makhir and Paragon and those baring bad fruit, nothing Geedi has done has changed anaything. Puntland is right to exploit its resource in order to create what is termed a viable economy.

The clan card has run its course, claiming Majiyahan has run its course...The deal is still on.

Consort Pvt, LTD., is partly owned by "some" PL ministers. Now, Range Resources, LTD., published a letter, naming Libaan Muuse Boqor to its board of directors.

Still, "some" of you don't see anything fishy about this Puntland-Range "deal"?

Lacala haduu Max'ed Dheere ama Qanyare ama Muusi Suudi Awyalaxoow soo saari lahayeen baaqaas, Sareeye Guude taloow saan muu u hadli lahaa?

I can almost see him typing furiously, "Max'ed Dheere [Qanyare, Awyalaxoow, etc] is irrelevant, money-worshipper, novice..." :D

Ironically, these descriptions exactly fit this Cadde dude. Lacag xoog ku raadis iyo political neophyte uu isku darsaday, same like Max'ed Dheere and et al.

Muxuu dhahay iigu soo celiyaba? Haa, Wasiirka Koowaad ayaan kalsoonida kala noqday, maha maxaas mooday igaarka laakiin? Tim Hortonkii Alta Vista ee Ottawa ku yaalay uu fadhin jiray? :D

Consort Pvt, LTD., is partly owned by "some" PL ministers. Now, Range Resources, LTD., published a letter, naming Libaan Muuse Boqor to its board of directors.

Still, "some" of you don't see anything fishy about this Puntland-Range "deal"?

No nothing fishy at all, care to enlighten us why this Mr Boqor is not suitable to the post he has just been assigned to, do you know him well, or is this another attempt at making a point?

MMA, sometimes you do act a bit too innocent, how on earth do you compare, Musa Sudi, Mohamed Dheere and Mogadishu warlords to Cade Muse?

Your hypothetical scenario is a bit lame, since no firm would ever sign a deal of this magnitute with the fellows you mentioned above. Why do you ask? Because they are no more than clan gangsters who are at this moment killing women and children for their won selfish ends.

Puntland, like it or not is moving forward and it needs not worry itself too much on the opinions of ill informed individuals or some who claim the Mountains belong to their clan and thus only they can profit from it.

Cade was not my choice as leader however I accept himas leader for the greater good of the state and its people.

Paragon   

^^^ Did you read about cambaaraynta Cade ee shirkada Range Resources? Apparently he was cut short by the Minister of Mining while he was in the middle of his criticism. Strangely enough, he seems be of the same mind with Shariifka.

On other fronts, Puntland admin in Bari has locked up Cabdi Faarax Maxamed of the INXA. Guess what was the reason for his imprisonment? For daring to demonstrate against the war in Mogadishu, a right granted by Puntland's constitution. Mr. Duke, I know you yourself has been petitioning against the war, so i'd like to know, how would it feel if that peaceful petition was called into question? I mean, it is one thing arresting organizers of anti-Puntland demonstrations, but to arrest the organizers of demonstrations that are by no means harmful to Puntland indicates that those at the helm of Puntland don't want any sort of national sentiment towards unified opposition towards war. Puntland admin, it would come across, has more to gain from Somalia's state of civil war than it would in peaceful Somalia. If that is not the case, then, why else would they arrest the organizers? Somehow all other reasons become silly.

I think that Prof Geddi is extremelly influential member of the government and that his job as a prime minister was short cut by his constituents in jowhar and muqdhisho. On the other hand jurisdictions are jurisdictions and Pres Cadde Musa is the president of Puntland State not the federal government nor is he a prime minister for the Trasnsitional government which, has more complicated affairs to handle than a matter of a functioning state PL and the resources.

:confused: :confused: I dont understand why you think a prevented demonstration that could've disrupted into a violent one isn't a good idea paragon. Am not saying you can't but its more effective if you plan your demonstration before the police come innn maybe this will get them readyyy for the next onee smile.gifsmile.gif

SOO MAAL   

From Qarannews.com

A secessionist’s perspective on federalism and recent conflict between Federal Government and Puntland

People who are against Somaliland sovereignty always build their case with an argument based o­n the idea of federalism. They also paint a picture in which they portray Somali union as a panacea where individual provinces will decide their faith. They never bother to ask themselves whether federalism will work.

Outlandish theories can not be taken as an absolute guarantee, especially when it comes to a nation’s future, we shouldn’t allow ourselves to be deluded by those who present their case for federalism without significant evidence proving that Somali union is the o­nly way to go. It is indeed wrong to put an unnecessary test to a society which has already suffered enough.

Somaliland born Unionists argue naively and sometimes forcefully that a central government which would be based in Mogadishu won’t have significant effect for those of us who live far away from Mogadishu the capital of greater Somalia, but at the same time we are witnessing the weakest administration in the history of Somalia trying to muscle the o­nly province in the south that has successfully governed itself for the last 15 years.

Compared to Banadir , Puntland is a land of peace and Bossaso authority is very much in control of its territory, they govern themselves far better than the Baidoa based mafia who can’t even figure out how to restrain its cabinet ministers. Puntland administration maintain the rule of law and they are also happy to work under the umbrella of federalism, but the shameless Mafia in Baidao want to over rule Puntland’s authority. As you may have heard recently the Baidao administration want to have a direct control of Puntland’s resources, they want to negotiate with the foreign companies who want to business with Puntland administration regardless of the local authority’s grievances. This is a good example of how federalism will not work in Somalia.

So may be those of you who believe in greater Somali are tempted to justify the Baidoa gangs’ behavior, but I doubt if any o­ne of you could explain how this supposed federalism could work. The Somali-American scholar Prof Samatar who o­nce was a supporter of Somalilander could not adequately explain why he is so sure that Somali unity will benefit Somaliland and other regional administrations. The o­nly argument that pro unionists like the esteemed professor rely o­n is the vague notion of SOMALI BROTHERHOOD. Somali brotherhood never existed even at the best of times, people can’t depend o­n emotional bonds with people who do not respect each other.

No o­ne is denying that as Somalis we share common values such as religion and culture, however I strongly disagree with people who argue that we have a distinctive traditions and equivalent language. How can this be possible when we (SOMALILANDERS) can hardly communicate with the people of Baidoa who proudly speak what sounds to me an entirely different language (MAI MAI). If that is not enough how about the QORYOLAY city residents in lower SHABELE. GARE TRIBE has its own language (DHOOG).

Somali traditions! What traditions? How about AFGOOYE inhabitants who enjoy beating the hell out of each other? I can go o­n and o­n without even mentioning the people of Barawe who altogether look and sound different from the rest of us.

In conclusion, I am angry with people like Prof Ahmed Samatar who try to mask the real and obvious differences among Somalis, they need to reconsider the case between Somaliland and Somalia with clear conscious.

Cabdale Farah Sigad

sigad12345@yahoo.co.uk