Sign in to follow this  
Warmoog

Hubbly-Bubbly Smoking

Warmoog   

Quick question ladies, exactly when did we begin emulating old Mid-Eastern men? Maybe WHY is a more suitable question. I'm talking about the use of the badeecad, hookah, narghile, water pipe, hubble-bubble, or whatever else it's called.

I can understand it being popular in the Mid-Eastern cafe culture it's a long, over-glorified tradition in their societies, etc., but in Somalia there were also some ladies who'd spend much of their leisure time puffing away on the device. Not women of all age groups, mind you. It was mainly older grandmother-type figures. Oddly enough, it seems like women use the water pipe almost exclusively in our culture. I've heard of a few Somali men doing so, but their kind seems rare. I don't really know why that is, but I suspect it has something to do with the men having a more enticing/popular stimulant of choice (hmm, what on earth could that be...).

Actually, the water pipe is gaining popularity in the West too. There are some narghile or hookah cafes scattered around the US and Europe, and I know of a few Somali women that have taken up the activity right here in Canada... including a few younger ones (late teens, early 20s). Strangely, not a single one of them smokes cigarettes, so what compelled them to "drink" tobacco fumes is a complete mystery to me.

Maybe the water pipe is the one habit Somali women have gotten away with, without being stigmatized, because people don't seem to think of it as bad and some are actually under the impression that it's harmless or even beneficial. I mean, there seems to have always been a cultural stigma against women who smoke cigarettes... to this day, I hear stories of some who used to hide (or still hide) it from their husbands or their parents. Yet, for some reason, the water pipe is/was considered more or less "okay"... why? Is it not worse than smoking cigarettes, health wise?

Oddly enough, it seems like women use the water pipe almost exclusively in our culture. I’ve heard of a few Somali men doing so, but their kind seems rare.

You Reckon sis :D;) i shall say no more...

Maybe 'cause its not as addictive as cigarettes and you dont need to smoke 20 a day to be cheerful. Also, since young ppl mostly do it in cafes...its self-indulgence...once in a while... ;)

Gediid   

It has become so common here in the DC area too.If one passes by a shiisa place any day of the week you will notice young Somali girls puffing away at that thing.

raula   

^^how often do you pass the place..or is it you, who is doing the SHISHA ;):D

I dont think there is anything wrong with this :confused: ;) ( Lets out circles, one puff at a time, as it curls up in distance just like SNOOP does it when he smokes D***-Aaah! the sweet scented caramel flavor in the air!)

Baashi   

Lets out circles, one puff at a time, as it curls up in distance just like SNOOP does it when he smokes D***-Aaah! the sweet scented caramel flavor in the air!)

Do it agian :D I can smell the virtual scent :D

Yasmine,

Pay a visit to Edgware Road, London and you'll find Somalis (men n women) of all ages, colours and sizes there smoking shiisha. It does seem as if there isnt much stigma attached to smoking badeecada. Interesting eh?

Raula,

Caramel? Try the cappuccino flavour. T'will knock your socks off! ;)

raula   

^^Iyah! cappuccino ah! naa isodhiib yaqee..madaxii baaba iqarxayee...( goes ahead to pour some EARL GREY in a mug! )

Miriam1   

Yasimine its the allure of the image it gives off..its very ethnic, very old, very classy. Dont know about women smoking it, but for men its that image of old egyptian cafe's; sitting down drinking a cup of tea, playing towla and smoking away on ur shiisha,with an old friend and the whole area giving off that distint sweet smell, that comes to mind, men or women smoking the shiisha..in a way..doesnt, hold any of the negative connatations of cigarette smoking, I believe its simply due to the historical connection from the Arabs...heh...its something we know...cigarettes are on the other hand..associated...mostly with the west...

*wonders if her theory holds any water!*

Jaabir   

Originally posted by Baashi:

quote:
Lets out circles, one puff at a time, as it curls up in distance just like SNOOP does it when he smokes D***-Aaah! the sweet scented caramel flavor in the air!)

Do it agian
:D
I can smell the virtual scent
:DIf you think Shiisha with Apple and Orange flavor and scent is outrageous.. check out the one with Pepsi and Coke scent..

p.s. I don’t do shiisha.. I am pretty much stuck with crack :(:D:D:D

Originally posted by Aeryn Sun:

Caramel? Try the cappuccino flavour. T'will knock your socks off!
;)

Orange + Cherry + Mint...that will knock even ur boots off! :D

ah....the good arab life.....

^^ hehehe...maybe I forgot to mention,"reliable sources have it".. ceeb caleek!! I dont do it..I'm here for purely recreational and vacational purposes redface.gif

i would suggest shiisha with some yikky sticky uuuuweeeee scent...it's the shytnizz... it will not only knock ur socks off it will also make u feel like a bird ........DARMAN ler them now brah ...

asxantu