Sign in to follow this  
Queen Arawello

What is the Role of a Somali Woman?

ADNAAN   

Being mother, wife and lover is natural but if your husband turns out to be a looser you will have no choice but to become the bread-winner too.

Finding the right faarax is actually easy, always ask him for his work experience with refrences ofcourse smile.gif

ElPunto   

What is the role of a Somali man? Seems to me this sort of question just results in categorizing people into neat little slots. That's not the reality of life.

Completely agree with you, ThePoint.

I think Queen Arawello should only be concerned about what kind of person she wants to be, and not pigeon-hole people.

I'm Somali, I am female and I can be a busy NASA astrophysicist if that's what I want. Isn't it time we stopped thinking about what we should be doing and who we should be according to others (especially Somalis)?

So, don't worry your pretty head about what the role of Somali women is - because there isn't a fixed one. You do whatyagottado.

Curly   

lol,

Traditional roles have all but disappeared and sure it's great to hearing all these replies about "what ever you want" etc but the reality is it's just evolved.

Sure it our parents or grandparents time it was easy to classify the gender roles as women are the homemakers and men are the bread winners but it all changed with migration. Somalis in welfare states like the UK has practically made the bread winner role obsolete for Somali father travelling to the UK. Sure it was completely out of choice and laziness in my eyes but it was much too easy for them to rely solely on the state. Whilst the Mother continued parenting and being the homemaker in a more difficult climate (language barriers, cultural differences etc).

Well the products of environment like that have proven to be varied for a number of reasons/ factors. I find the vast majority of people are motivated by money so unemployment isn't as cushy looking to young men as it was to those before them (I hope) and western ideals have changed their view of what a father is coupled with their own resentment to their father figures maybe?

All in all sexism is still rife wherever you go, with women getting paid less than men and male to female ratios in certain industries...you can't really say there aren't any barriers.

Even Islam although one of the first if not the first to introduce women’s right still clearly outlines the role of the woman and the man in a household, which are more inline with traditional roles...is that sexist?

Personally I think we should take a step back and look at it all objectively to your specific situation. As a woman you might want to start a family and that may mean you decide to take time off work so that you can nurture your child, during this time you might find yourself completely dependent on your husband or you might decide to get back to work as soon as possible and your husband becomes a stay at home dad for a while because you’re the higher earner. Whatever the reasoning there are options and the most important thing is for you and your partner to be on the same wavelength and support each other through joint decisions.

I say down with the traditional roles, and people don't delude yourself...

If you think it's more normal for your daugter to learn to cook than your son or you only ever ask your daugther to fetch things for you, I think there's where it starts and snowballs out of control. Even 'harmless' comments to young boys like 'be a man' is setting foundations as to what it is to be a man or woman for your child.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by cynical lady:

How is this even a question?

It's a very specific question too, mera laddo. :D

Now do you agree with me that ALL women are mad?