Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad

Layla Iyo Qays - The Greatest Love Story Ever!

Muhammad   

Originally posted by Classique:

About the Somali Love Stories, well I heard only about Celmi Boudhari and his Hodan, but in brief I don't know about the details.

Salam

Cilmi and Hodan are by far the most popular Somali love stories, but one of my favorites is the story of Cawralla iyo Cali Maax.

One of my favorite books is also about their story, it is actually one of the first books I have ever read. Aqoondarro waa u nacab jacayl [ignorance is the Enemy of Love] - by Faarax M. J. Cawl (Ilaah Ha unaxariisto), tells the story of Cawralla who falls in love with Cali Maax, a spy for the Sayyid who was sent to Yemen to do a reconnaissance of the Enemy(British) troop movements in Aden, when their Boat sink and He, Cali, Saves her by swimming 24+ hours while carrying her on his back.

It is a great story and great book, the Author does a great job by exhorting the virtue of literacy in this book, hence the title - when Cawralla writes a letter to Cali, who was illiterate, revealing her love for him, he goes to her father and brothers so they can read the letter for him. Thats when he realizes the importance of literacy and pledges to teach himself how to read and write inorder to respond to Cawralla's letter.

I think this book was also translated by B. W. Andrzejewski into english.

Originally posted by Muad:

It is a great story and great book, the Author does a great job by exhorting the virtue of literacy in this book, hence the title - when Cawralla writes a letter to Cali, who was illiterate, revealing her love for him, he goes to her father and brothers so they can read the letter for him. Thats when he realizes the importance of literacy and pledges to teach himself how to read and write inorder to respond to Cawralla's letter.

Now that's romance. sigh

Salma   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

quote:Originally posted by Muad:

Now that's romance.
sigh
Interesting story (Book) I hope to find it.

Thanx Muad

LOL Sheh, Iam sure if you read Cantar's story you will feel and smell the romance dear, specially with the Classic Arabic Language smile.gif

Salam

NGONGE   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

quote:Originally posted by Muad:

Now that's romance.
sigh
Heh. DEADLY Romance more like. :D

bilan   

i love "ignorance is the enemy of love" it is tragedy, cawrala's father forced her to marry the widower of her sister(dumaal),however she died the night of her wedding, before she sees calimaax. gabayadeedii badnaa intaa uun baan ka xasuustaa, haday cid hayso jirto please share with us

caliyoow hadaan weel la culay caano kugu siiyo

cishihiina aan sarar cusbo leh kugu cashaysiiyo

waa caafimaad rage hadaan cagaha kuu duugo

asaadan caloosha igu hayn

caliyoow waa yeelkadaa.

What about the love between Ayan Hersi Ali (Somali-born Dutch parliamentarian & outspoken enemy of Islam) and the dude that will beat her to her senses (in the future)?

I'm writing it - its called "One Hundred Nights of Abuse." Its coming out on BananaHouse Publishing, LLC.

Krupt33   

I neva heard of that book???

But I know of a couple named Qaasiimow and Layla are they copyin them too? cause they are madly in love.........

Originally posted by besbaaso:

if u luv arabian lit. u have probably read the "alif layla wa layle" or the one thousand and one nights tales.....i luve arabic fairy tales....found an old copy at this tiny book store near the university....it is called tales from the arabian nights....by n.j.dawood....
:D

I love that too. But have you noticed that they are a tad racist and misogynistic, even if it is related by a woman? All the women are committing adultery with black evil ugly men. All the villains seem to be black? :eek:

When I was younger I used to love the story of Qays and Leila. However, such mindless unjustified love doesn't do it for me anymore. That's why I can't stand Romeo, both these men were in love with Love. Obsessions like that don't move me emotionally. I can't sympathise with someone's love, if I don't understand it.

Khayr   

Salaamz,

I wrote a few love stories in my life time,

perhaps you might have heard of these titles

published by such great companies like

Harlequina, Randon Home, Del Krontes etc.

Here are one of those titles

'Caraweloo and Jamaac-Aaruuski laabad'

-This is the story of the love two people, from two different tribes, to different nations, to different times, brought together....brought together because of hardships and difficult circumstances....brought toghter.....

one had it and the other needed it

what could it be that brought them together?

Read my book to find out, Just PM for the info. :D

Khayr   

Darl Angel aka Malikul Mowit

caafi walaalo, Angels don't have to be so 'DARK'

Anyways, u know luv stories always sound better in remote lands, especially in the arab world cause u're dealing with time, space, families, traditions etc.

Paragon   

Muad, Cawralla iyo Cali Maax was a classic love story, sparked on board a boat, inspired by one man's good mannerism and stregthened further by his brave saving of a girl. It is story that deserves to be read over and over again. However, like Cali's illiterancy of reading his mother tongue, anyone wishing to read the story must know how to read Somali or learn from the scratch.

PS: Muad, I dont remember it well, but I thought Cali was already married when Cawralla fell for him. When he recieved the letter, he must have thought it was about something else. So he took the letter to his wife's father, who then asked him to take it to his son. It was a clever move from the father to inform his son about the matter. Or was it different Muad? I am not sure

bilan   

Ali was not married when she fell in-love with him.when he left cawrala he promised her that he will come back to her, after they win the war( he was member of darawish)after he reached the head quarter he gave his report ( he was sent a mission to spy british army) he did such a great job one of the leaders of darawish asked him to marry his daughter, and as the somali custom was( i do not know if people follow this custom now) he could not say no, and he married the girl,when her father found out the love between him and cawrala, he was sent to region far away from xiis where cawrala lived.it is long story so let me stop here.