Sign in to follow this  
Xudeedi

In Response to Ashley’s Coverage on Puntland Conflict $ More News

Paragon   

BoiBoi,

I agree with you on the point of collaboration between all sectors involved. I also think (whilst having Maakhir's question in mind) that these sort of projects -whether they're explorations or mining - have more advantages for all than they have disadvantages. These projects (even when the lag-time you mention is considered) are just the first phases of future developmental opportunities beneficial to the locals.

Maakhir, you wrote:

developmental projects? Do you really think this is a developmental project? Give me more detail.

of which they fail to misappropriate its funds.

The point I am making in regards to the developmental nature of these sort of projects is that: (a) if exploration is successful and mining commences, there would be (b) a need for the necessary infrastructure needed to haul mined products, and because these infrastructures (most importantly roads and other transportation systems) are vital not only to the business of mining, but © are also vital to local commerce (such as gum-production, livestock export etc) which had been previously restricted by lack of basic infrastructure, these projects can be classed as developmental projects. The Siyad Barre regime hasn't developed this region, whatever the reasons.

However, Maakhir , this is an opportunity which the local population must grap with both hands if they are to benefit their land in an era of limited opportunity in Somalia. The likelihood of similar exploration process taking place in the Maakhir Coast area, especially the offshores of Laas-Qorey, should additionally signal that Laas-Qorey may at last have the chance to be built and lead to the creation of a proper port for this port-less province. If conflict is to be given the priority, then I'd say, it is another economic opportunity destined to be lost. The opponents of this exploration process have gotten used to opposing every opportunity, which in turn leaves Sanaag both remote and poor. Only in poverty will they (this greedy group) have succeed to see those who depend on them languish under their control, and that is what they want. The reason why they object to any sort of development is that people are likely to be economically independent, which always stimulates social independency and creative innovativeness.

The previous opportunity that they have squandered in regards to the building of Laas-Qorey port is a case in point. The funds allocated for the project of building Laas-Qorey, have been shared between greedy elders and pocketed. This is why I am weary of the prospects of having future funds misappropriated. I am sure Range Resources’ finds, if they do find anything that is, will lead to the development of the necessary transfer mechanisms, which includes the development of infrastructure. However dodgy they come across, what is a surety is that they have share-holders and a business plan that demands accountability and also effective profit making. Accountability and transparency is not something you will find in a militia’s agenda, and most of all, Cade or Geedi’s shady profiteering.

A note for Shihaabudiin : you wrote:

Otherwise expect no mercy from the government because they will deal with those rag-tag militias, who don't take orders from no-where and the administration will deal with them appriopriately because no-one is bigger than the state or law for that matter and the exploration will go on inshallaah godwillingly!

I think you are mistaken, my friend. Whatever government there is today, whether regional or national, none of them possesses the might to force anyone. The very administration of Puntland is made up of militias of all the clans who have participated in its creation. If the talk is force then nothing will yield out of it, believe me. Puntland has a history of internal conflicts, most about power or wealth. Usually these internal conflicts are solved appropriate and as can be understood from recent talks, this particular issue will be solved. Conflict is in no one’s interest, but sometimes one creates a conflict to legalise a certain claim to something. Moreover, the state is not BIG; rather, it is in its infancy. So please don’t go around speaking as you wrote above. If anything, you would be truly laughed at.

^

Let him make cyber threats and feel big about himself. As far as I know, exploration is not going on right now.

Originally posted by art:

I find it most interesting that most (all) of the []bnegative press
[/b]
regarding RangeResources is on Garowe.com and little is mentioned in other media outlets. Furthermore, Garowe's homepage has a big link to Farole's 5 year plan for Puntland. We are all aware that Farloes supporters were all involved in the shooting last month, and Farole was strongly opposed to Ranges' deal and he was ousted after the gun battle.

Is it plausible to suggest that the negative press in Garowe has something to do with Farole?

I'm curious as to why you refer to it as "negative press" when, in fact, it is nothing but the truth. Besides, Garowe Online isn't the only news site reporting the battles in Majiyahan: Laasqorey.net, PuntlandPost.com, Somaliweyn.com, Shabelle.net, RadioMidnimo.com, etc. Also, if you think Reuters is more of a "believable" news site, I suggest you read the story they wrote on the conflict in late March.

Secondly, Faroole was opposed to the agreement with Range Resources and that's why Cadde Muuse [Puntland pres] decided to get "rid" of him.

"Faroole's supporters" - as you refer to them - are in Garoowe, the PL capital, while Puntland president is in Boosaaso signing yet-another deal with Range. What's the point of the second deal, anyway?

p.s. ART, you might not know much about Somali customary law, but it was Puntland pres Cadde Muuse who admitted he was in the wrong after the Feb. 27 gun battle in Garoowe. He paid for his crime against the Garoowe community and that matter has been settled.

NASSIR   

Good News

4/9/2006

Given the intestinal political dispute, I will try to summarize the report by Ahmed Kismayo at the BBC Somali Service. First, the contract was renewed today conference in Bossaso, Omitting the terms of the disagreements and adding also more favorable terms that will prevent future conflicts.

Puntland authorities released Press conference, saying the survey was over as of now, however, the works by the geologists will resume on a specific date in the future that will be discussed at the Parliament.

The Vice President, whom Ahmed Kismayo enquired admitted the faults of the deal and predicated its causality on mismanagement and lack of disclosure. He said, in the future, any project that is to be undertaken will be brought before the Parliament and the leaders of the respective region that the project should be assigned.

Some of the favorable terms reached are: (a) to allocate a partial reserve of the revenue to the Puntland government (b) Federal government © and the local region---for building its infrastructure and improving its social services.

A

Wareysi BBC, Majihaan, scroll towards @ 16:10 in time.

BBC Somali Service

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Maakhir & Paragon; would you be kind enough to educate us about this issue: what do the locals object to? Is it about the share of the pie to which they object or the authority of the said deal that they reject? Are they represented in the current Puntland admin? Do they have reps in Puntland house of appointed (selected) legislators?

Xiinoow sheekada Puntland ka socota waa sheekadii Sugaal Cabulle:

Hal milyan oo doolar haday cirka ka soo dhacdo sidee u kala qabsannaa?"

Kuwii dadka isugu xigay ayaa isku rifaya wax aan meeshaba oolin.

Taleexi   

War saaxiib armay arrinta marka dhanka kale laga eego la mid tahay murtidii soomaaliyeed ee oranaysey "Baroortu Orgiga Ka Weyn"

Xudeedi   

Paragon, you are very wrong to generalize the region of Sanaag as an underdeveloped and remote. It is remote in fact due to the lack of resource allocation by the former so as many regions.

From 1981-1989, LaasQorey was an emporium just like Bossaso is today after the closure of Berbera Port. However, gaps in the United Nations Assistance policy have been the main cause of this region and so many other regions' lag behind other regions.

The Decision of such policy was predicated on the merits of four main port cities as an entry points for relief supplies---Mogadisho and Kismayo in the south, Berbera and Bossaso in the Norht. This arrangment as imposed by the UN, has since its inception, worked to the detriment of the Sanaag community. It has become more as the political and security situation evolved to the better, where emergency relief operations gave way to economic assistance programs aiming at rehabilitation and reconstruction.

But then, Bossaso and Hargeisa are two main localities where the merchants of Sanaag abound in great number, running Industrials and in search of their motive to maximize their resources.

Hence, I would like for you to read an adminstration program that had failed to work for politcal reasons just before the establishment of Puntland due to Tolnimo.

Positive developments in 1994-1995, after the war with SNM came to an end following a number of reconciliation conferences.

(a) The convening of an Inter-communal Conference (during December 1994-February 1995) in Hadaftimo, bringing together representatives from all districts, where an adminstrative arrangement had been adopted. The arrangement includes district councils for the districts of Badhan,Dhahar, and Laskoreh, a mechanism to coordinate the affairs of the three districts under a Coordinating Committee, as well as police and judiciary mechanisms.

(b) German Agro Action and the Somali Development and Relief Agency(SDRA have been exploring possibilities for building a jetty in Laskoreh to be used as a seaport, in addition to the rehabilitation of some water wells, and maintaining the road connecting Laskoreh town with the hinterland. Other International NGO's have also been engaged in identifying and implementing projects in support of education, health and veterinary services, among others. However, with the freeze of SDRA activities, German Agro-Action ceased its assistance and so have the other International NGOs.

Hence, the betrayal known to Somalis is obvious now in Puntland. The Groups that led the adminstration program will reincarnate it in the most forseable future.

^^Adeer maxaa ka yaabiyey :D ?

Su'aal baan waa weydiiyey rag aan bidayey xog'ogaalnimo as to what is the root cause of these skirmishes is!I was still waiting a reliable account of why all of a sudden things are stirred to the level we are all witnessing when the Lion Teaser of SOL simplified it for me. It’s all about how to share the planed castle in the air, he answered. A reasonable response to which I agreed. What say you good MM?

Taleexi   

Adeer waxaa iga yaabiyey :confused:

This is the way I see it Mr. Xiinfaniin, the problem of Majiyahan has been talked about it quite a lot on the media lately so if someone like you, all of a sudden, emerges from the masses and inquires to be briefed about the situation, and another dude responds to you comically is not only beside the point but it adds insult to the injury.

^^Horta ninyahow warla'aantaydu waa wax jira, laakiin yaab ma leh oo dee arlu qurbaan u degganahay. Haddiise jawaabtu noqotay waxaan jirin baa laysku hayyaa dee wayba iskaba dhammaan marka la ogaadu inaan wuxuba jirin. waxaa comic kuula ekaaday aniga naf bayba isoo gelisay oo waxaan u qabay in conflict dhab ahi jirto.

Ninbaa waxaa lagu yiri; horta naagtaad qabtaa foolxumaa! intuu yara aamusay buu wuxuu ku jawaabay sidii hooyadeed iyo aabaheed looga soo beryay biinaan ogeyn.

Marka ina Sugaal Cabdulle ha ihaato ii daa adeer intii fitno ka weyn lay sheegi lahaa :D .

Paragon   

Originally posted by Maakhir:

Paragon, you are very wrong to generalize the region of Sanaag as an underdeveloped and remote. It is remote in fact due to the lack of resource allocation by the former so as many regions.

From 1981-1989, LaasQorey was an emporium just like Bossaso is today after the closure of Berbera Port. However, gaps in the United Nations Assistance policy have been the main cause of this region and so many other regions' lag behind other regions.

Maakhir, do forgive for I have not been able to respond at a suitable period. That said however, if one considers 'what was' as a substitute for what is to become, then I confess, you have a point. But since the importance is with the procurement of current developmental opportunities, what small towns or parts of Sanaag 'was' IS is really of no such importance or relevance. Between 1981-1989 Laas Qorey was indeed used as some sort of a port, but this usage was temporal in nature as the opportunity only arose from the closure of Berbera port. This was purely an opportunity that came to exit due to polico-social changes prompted by the military operations of Ina Barre's regime. The residents of Laas Qorey did happen to be of a clan un-opposed to the state's operations, and were thus poised to benefit from the sanctions placed on Berbera port. It was only a matter of time for the government to collapse, and with it, Berbera to be back in business again. Soon as that was the case, Laas Qorey sunk back into economic insignificance. To claim such an opportunity may have had a long-lasting economic benefits is stretching the argument.

The United Nations and other organisations may have had proposed other projects or promised economic assistance, however, for some strange reason, they withdrew their proposals. At least this time around there is a possibility that Sanaag would have a bargaining chip with which to guarantee economic investment. Now we know Sanaag is alleged to have wanted products and there are likelyhood returns from exploring for them. That is a good incentive for other companies. Thus it is important that one shouldn't be concerned with what projects that 'were' proposed previously and be focused on what projects that 'are' being proposed presently. Unlike earlier 'aid' or 'assistance' orientated projects, this proposed project is set to be purely economic. A chance to proudly do business rather than expect or beg foreign assistance.