Sign in to follow this  
Salma

Dear Sisters

Salma   

What's wrong with some muslims in Ramadan.They think Ramadan is for cooking, eating and enjoying the food.

I went to the shopping mall yesterday and I was astonished to see the big amounts of the foods available for Ramadan. All kinds of fruits, vegtables, sweets, red and white meats, crackers,nuts, spices & sauces,breads ....etc as if Ramadan is the month of Starvation: gaajo gaajo gaajo & macluul LOL.

And guess what, most of the buyers were WOMEN. Its true that woman always do the shopping for their families, but this ain't my point. My point is that ppl always eat, but it seems food has special and unique taste in Ramadan. Probably that's why some of the muslims sisters spend hours and hours and hours cooking, decorating and preparing food. And the truth is, most of these foods go to the garbage. We waste time, efforts and money and at the end we eat so few of these foods. We forgot that we should eat what our bodies need and that there is no need to be over-extravagant. If we have to spend more money; it should go to the charities and not to our stomachs smile.gif

So this is just a small reminder to not waste your time pleasing your husbands, fathers, brothers or relatives cooking for long times. Don't waste this precious times in Ramadan in cooking for guests and friends. Ramadan is for worship and purfiying yourself. Its a Bonanza you get it only once yearly.

Its unfair that your husbands, fathers and brothers are reciting the Qur'an, reading the Hadiths or the Tafseer Books, praying the daily prayers or Taraweeh or making supplications(Du'aa) while you are wasting your time cooking, sleeping, watching the TV, chatting or doing un-necessary things.

The male nomads here are also reminded to help their wives,sisters and relatives to do their worship without interruptions or disturbing by requesting them for hard things that waste their times in Ramadan.

Don't 4get about the most important night in the whole year which is "Laylat Al Qadar" in the last ten days in Ramadan. Its was too painful to see sisters who were studying/working in the morning, cooking at the afternoon and couldn't do their worship and missed the Laylat AlQadar's fortune.

So do a special schedule for Ramadan from now,before Ramadan starts. Making specific times for working, studying,worship,sitting with your family,sleeping etc etc etc. We still have two days to prepare the schedule.

P.S. Advise your other sisters, tell them to do their schedules too and not to waste this Ramadan.

You never know when you gona die.

All the best and Happy Ramadan to you.

OG_Girl   

lol@Clasique , for once I thought you were talking about me and mom...lol .

You know mom making Sambousa, kuba burgel, all ma7shys for 3 days now..Some times I feel sorry for my mom cause she spends from 6 AM till Athan in the kitchen after that she is tired and can't even pray trawee7 . I know She is Shia she doesn't pray Taraaweeh any ways..lol But the point is Ramadan for us just for food and watching Egytion series only !!!

Ya naas Ramadan is for Ebaadah but la 7ayatah leman tonady :(

Salam

NoVa   

girl, ma' sha' allah thnxs for the advicel...I just had that in my mind last'night....to try to make the best schedule for this Holly month of Ramadan as much as i can... ex. the night's i need to go to Tarawiix and the days that i'm workin and schoolin'...so that i can manage my time better....HOppin' i' go 2 tarawiix as much as i can, since last year i barely attended...

Yeah ur right, sometimes there is so much food cooked and barely nobody might eat it...it use to happend last year i remember, my mom will cook alot of food and everyone's either @ school or working...and u' c half of that food just sitting there for no reason....but alway's give the neighbors' or take it 2 the Masajid if u could...

Ramadaan Kariiiiiiiiim my Sista's and Brotha's...May ALlah Forgives' us all and May Allah except's our Good deeds in this HOlly Month....

Salaams

Jazakhallah kheir Classique , what youve written is very true womenfolk do spend more time cooking than doing acts of ibadet . Something which can be done while cooking is listening to an audio CD or Cassette of the Quraan while cooking. As the act of cooking for the family is also ibadet-she is doing her responsibility so at the same time she is reaping thawab by reading the verses of the Quraan and also helps in memorising the Ayets.

Regarding the amount of food cooked when you look at it is isiraaf-wasted and is haraam in Islam as everything should be done in moderation.

Ive come across an article would like to share titled.

My Plans for this Ramadaan

By Ayub Hamid

I would like to share with you a simple sample plan which I have been following over the years so that you can use for that purpose:

This Ramadaan, I shall start with establishing a close relationship with the Qur'aan. I will gave the top priority to knowing and understanding the contents and message of the Qur'aan. I will recite and study the Qur'aan with translation and tafseer regularly and steadily throughout the month, inshaa'Allaahu, from a good, authentic translation and tafseer by a reputed scholar. From the start and right to the end of Ramadaan, I will not sleep after Fajr, but instead study the Qur'aan until I am ready to go to school or work. Throughout the day, I will find time to revise and re-learn the Soorahs and Aayaat I already know. Once that is completed, I will learn at least one Aayah a day from a Soorah that I do not already know.

This Ramadaan, I will sleep early, soon after Taraweeh Salaah. I will go to bed with clear and conscious intention of fasting the next day, as well as with the intention of getting up early for Tahajjud. Then, while remembering Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala, I will fall asleep. I will get up well before Suhoor time, thanking Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala for giving me life, offer Tahajjud and then make special Du'a for the mercy of Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala on our Ummah, Allah Ta'aala's help for its success and well being, and Allah Ta'aala's interference to foil the plans of Shaytaan. I will also make special Du'a that Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala protects this Ummah, my loved ones and me from the Dajjaal and his Fitnah.

For the month of Ramadaan, I will not watch TV at all, with a view of kicking this habit completely. My knowing of what is shown in the news does not affect any affairs of the world. Watching the news causes only frustration, despair and anxiety. If I do not watch for a month, it will not have any impact either on me, this Ummah or the world at large. I would rather spend the month on my personal improvement, personal spirituality and building a close, personal relationship with Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala , rather than on an activity where I cannot make any difference. (Unless I am one of those few Muslims who write letters, articles / anchors, paper editors / columnists, politicians and media in general to make Islamic points or to stand up for the Ummah. If I am one of those, I should continue this Jihaad in Ramadaan).

While fasting, I will make a special effort to speak only to add value and to say only what is true, factual, positive, meaningful and useful. When I do not have anything good and useful to talk about, instead of saying anything else, I will remember Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala through the beautiful words taught by our Prophet Sal-Allaahu alayhi wa sallaam, while paying attention to their meanings and feeling the impact of the words on my heart, my mind, my thoughts and my attitude. Or, if I do not know them, I will learn those words of remembrance or prayer. Or, I will spend those moments to recite the portions of the Qur'aan that I know or learning those I do not.

I will not lend my ears to anything that is useless, indecent, negative, spiteful or inappropriate. In my car, I will listen to the Qur'aan or some good speech of a reputed scholar. At my computer I would repeat the same piece over and over again, I will use it to help me learn a few verses or a Soorah. Similarly, while riding the transit or subway, I will use my pocket-sized Qur'aan or book of Prophet Sal-Allaahu alayhi wa sallaam's adi'yah (plural for du'a) to recite, practise or revise those I know or to learn those I do not know.

This Ramadaan, I will particularly watch my gaze. While glancing on a member of opposite sex, I will move my gaze away before I start evaluating or assessing the attractive features of looks, appearance or personality or before I start paying attention to or begin enjoying those attractions. I will not participate or listen to the comments of illicit nature that my colleagues, peers or friends make.

While remembering Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala in many other ways, I will more frequently ask for Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala's mercy in the first 10 days of Ramaadan (Yaa Hayyu Yaa Qayyoomu, bi-rahmatika astagheethu), invoke Allaah's forgiveness in the second 10 days (astaghfirullaah-al-Azeem-alladzi laa ilaaha illaa Huwa-al Hayyu-l-Qayyoomu wa atoobu ilayh) and seek salvation from the Fire in the last 10 days (Rabbanaa aatinaa fi-ddunyaa hasanatanwa fil-aakhirati hasanatanwa qinaa adzaab-annaar). During the last ten nights, I will frequently make the Du'a: Allaahumma innaka 'afuwwun, tuhibbul 'afwa, fa'fu 'annee.

This Ramadaan, I will be exceptionally charitable. The tears that fill my eyes when I see the scenes of devastation, disease, starvation, agony, displacement, killings, blown up bodies and severed limbs of poor, helpless people of Afghanistan, Palestine, Iraq, Chechnya and Kashmir will ameliorate my heart and open my purse. I will send all my Zakaah to them right at the beginning of Ramadaan through trustworthy Islamic charities. In addition to my Zakaah, I will pay whatever I can spare from my family's necessities for helping those in dire need. If I have been paying my Zakaah to my relatives, this Ramadaan, I will help my relatives from my other savings and resources, so that I can pay Zakaah to the victims of state terrorism. I will avoid spending money on my home decoration or getting new clothes for Eid or buying more video games and toys for my children, so that those who are in more need than me and my family can be helped. I will even pay my Fitrah very early in Ramadaan so that it can reach those displaced from their homes before the severity of winter.

Also this Ramadaan, I will be generous and forgiving to my family, friends and the Muslim community at large. I will clear my heart from anger complaints, suspicion, jealousy, grudges or dislike against any of them. I will be extra kind, accommodating, courteous, supportive and helpful to my non-Muslims neighbours and colleagues. I will find ways to have them participate in the blessings of Ramadaan and happiness of Eid by sharing my food specialties with them or giving gifts and chocolates to them.

This Ramadaan, I am going to take my vacations in its last 10 days, so that the precious opportunity offered by those days can be fully utilized for developing my spiritual relationship with Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala.

I will kick at least one of my bad habits such as arriving late for appointments or breaking promises. I will show up or do what I indicate I will do and I will show up or do so on time. If I am a smoker, this Ramadaan, I will not smoke even after Iftaar, before Suhoor or at night. I will keep my mouth odour free for prayers and Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala 's remembrance and my lungs, blood and heart from disease.

If I am a university student whose final exams are falling in Ramadaan, my act of worship is to do my utmost best to study hard and get the best possible results, given that any moment that is not spent on studying is not spent in any other pursuit except in the remembrance of Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala or study of the Qur'aan. While travelling to/from or within campus or while taking a break from studies, I will automatically shift to remembrance of Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala or recitation of the Qur'aan. For my studies, I will keep timings that are consistent with the spirit of Ramadaan, i.e. sleep early and get up very early. Instead of staying up late at the risk of missing Suhoor or Fajr, I will adjust my body clock to Islamic lifestyle instead of the western lifestyle. When I get up to study at 2 or 3 a.m., I will start with two Raka'at of Tahajjud and then continue with my studies. After Fajr, I will still spend 15-20 minutes on the study of Tafseer and recitation of Qur'an every day.

If we succeed this Ramadaan in living as planned above, we will be able to look back and rejoice and feel inner joy and true happiness knowing that our Eid day will be the day of celebrating rewards from Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala.

Courtesy: www.everymuslim.com

Salma   

Welcome dears,

OG: U know what I quit watching the TV in Ramadan long time ago, yakhy kella kharabee6 wallah, hundreds of series and programs just to spoil the muslims' brains. U know who is putting these programs anyway, they want the Muslims to stick infront of TVs all Ramadan. o hat ya coffee,sweets, nuts and dates infront the TV.

All the doctors have no work in Ramadan except the Internal Medicine Doctors and the Dental Doctors, cause ppl keep eating and spoiling their teeth & stomachs LOOL

Hey girls another good thing in Ramadan to do is to check on your family members & relatives: Your aunts, uncles, cousins, grannies and grandpas. If you couldnt visit them then at least contact them and keep in touch with'em. Just saying the word "Salam Alaikum" and asking about their health and situations will make them happy and make you receive ajer. IF you have any problem with any of your friends, relatives or family forget about these problems and forgive them. Believe me life has no meaning if your heart hates one of your relatives and friends. And remember even if they are doing bad things and evil, hate their action but not them personally and try to help them quit the bad actions they are doing. Forgiving others will let you get the serenity and the tranquility we are all looking for in this life.

If you want to receive forgiveness from others when you hurt/harm them,you must 4give them also when they hurt you.

May Allah guide us to his right path always.

P.S. Thanx Sisade, very good & informative article.

I know where you coming from Classique..same thoughts crossed my mind. Jazakallah 4 attempting to raise awareness on what we ought to be doing/striving for in Ramadan.

Will comment later Insha Allah......

Blessed   

Originally posted by Classique:

U know what I quit watching the TV in Ramadan long time ago, yakhy kella kharabee6 wallah, hundreds of series and programs just to spoil the muslims' brains. U know who is putting these programs anyway, they want the Muslims to stick infront of TVs all Ramadan. o hat ya coffee,sweets, nuts and dates infront the TV.

You could be onto something there sister. I've always wondered why arabs 'celeberate' Ramadan the way they do. No regard for Islam or dikr is shown in their programmes.

I totaly agree with the issue of food and Ramadan. I've been trying to get my around to your line of thinking but without success. I guess you can still do as much dikr as you can in the evenings.

And remember folks any dambi committed is from you and you alone - we can't hide behind shaytaan.

Ramadaan Kareem ya'll. Be blessed i'a!

OG_Girl   

I've always wondered why arabs 'celeberate' Ramadan the way they do. No regard for Islam or dikr is shown in their programmes.

Don't wonder dear, Is just comming like Chrismess for westerns. Ramadan becoming like busness sesion latelly, not worship sesion for Arabss. Whole night watching TV, shopping, visitting each other and whole day sleeping ...is sad but that is the sad truth. :(

Salam

Regarding watching Tv I think it should be quit all together( or atleast watched in the minumum) even in the everyday life there are but a few programs which you can watch i.e deserve watching.As Ibadet is a continual process it shouldnt only be inforced in Ramadhan but should be ingrained in our daily lives.

In Ramadhan what is aired depends with your country of residence really. As not every nation understands the significance of ramadhan. So what is aired may be advantagous for some or disastrous.

Very true OG - girl even the turks have imitated the celebration idea. The unfortunate thing is the majority do not fast - (there is no overnight shopping nor sleeping during the day) but when you switch on the telly there are numerous Ramadhan special programs mostly sitcoms having people performing music.

Oh, and they have these devilish sheikhs who appear on telly and when asked about hamar-alcohol and they tell the folks that they can drink wine after opening their fast. It doesnt affect their state of saum nor against the spirit of Ramadhan. audhubillah.

Classique,

Your absolutely right. Women do tend to spend all their time cooking during Ramadan. I happen to be one of those people who thinks only about food all month long during ramadan (tis the hunger). redface.gif

sisade thanx sis for you helpfull words...but all the thing you said is actully talking about me.. i grew up in a different culture and different way in learning religion but i never hard that if you watch a t.v ya ramadhan is not required.

the other thing is i have came across where ic alot of family cooking alot of food in a day iam actually refuring to my family if we say we will cook we will...but its not our attention that we wanna waste food no its just my family is a open house my momther would let stranger come in to our house and eat if you were fasting.. and we cant keep a track that only 2people may come to eat but is just i seen that alot.. also my sister she is maried she will cook alot of food coz she does not know if her husband may bring he's friends over to afuur so i beleave its not our attention to waste food but again the info you gave was really touching.