Illyria

"No extension, election on Jan 8th, and honourable transfer of power" Said A/llahi Deni

Illyria   

Sorry, mate, I did not realise you posted it already.

SSC-KHATUMO traditional leaders meeting in Garoowe have proposed that Puntland elections:

1. "Should be held on the 8th of January,
  2. The current parliament gets one year extension and elects the president and the vice president, and
  3. After 12 months a new president, a VP and a new parliament gets elected through one-person, one-vote popular vote."

Garaad Jama Garaad Ali, the Supreme traditional leader of SSC-KHATUMO, rejected their proposal outright and called it a dangerous move that could endanger both Puntland and SSC-KHATUMO.

https://twitter.com/radiodaljir/status/1732391181252751583?s=20

1 minute ago, Illyria said:

SSC-KHATUMO traditional leaders meeting in Garoowe have proposed that Puntland elections:

1. "should be held on the 8th of January,
  2. The current parliament gets one year extension and elects the president and the vice president, and
  3. After 12 months a new president, a VP and a new parliament gets elected through one-person, one-vote popular vote."

Garaad Jama Garaad Ali, the Supreme traditional leader of SSC-KHATUMO, rejected their proposal outright and called it a dangerous move that could endanger both Puntland and SSC-KHATUMO.

https://twitter.com/radiodaljir/status/1732391181252751583?s=20

It seems like a good idea if everybody was on board, but I am afraid it might complicate things. Do you know if Deni and the opposition are on board?

Illyria   
40 minutes ago, Che -Guevara said:

It seems like a good idea if everybody was on board, but I am afraid it might complicate things. Do you know if Deni and the opposition are on board?

It looks to have escalated matters rather than diffused it. My prediction: a 3rd round of Issims shall get together, and reconcile the proposals, this one, and the October 28th proposal, and in the end, a final resolution shall come out with all parties agreeing to a resolution. Issims met with Deni and opposition, and this was intended a middle ground.

Let's hope so. Even an indirect election on January 8 seems unlikely at the moment. The political decoupling of SSC and Pland is another issue. It would be rather unfair for MPs from SSC to decide the presidential winner. 

Illyria   

It is actually better this way, for it gives Issims more influence over the electoral process, takes power away from politicians, and sidelines armed opposition from derailing the elections.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Illyria said:

It is over, and democracy dead on arrival. Back to the infamous legacy.

1518818280_Screenshot2023-12-06122555.png.f5d55da2d90c58afd8a55cbfc583a0de.png

That's tragic!

Ironically, no one in the opposition seems any better than Deni. I don't know if that will help win again. I am assuming reer SSC elders will select their MPs? 

Illyria   
2 minutes ago, Che -Guevara said:

That's tragic!

Ironically, no one in the opposition seems any better than Deni. I don't know if that will help win again.  

Indeed tragic, but in the greater scheme of things, all things being equal, it is a very bad choice, and they will pay a hefty price in another day.

Opposition is just a bunch of prima donnas in empty suits.

4 minutes ago, Che -Guevara said:

I am assuming reer SSC elders will select their MPs? 

Most likely, and so was clear in their message to Deni & Co.

1 minute ago, Illyria said:

Indeed tragic, but in the greater scheme of things, all things being equal, it is a very bad choice, and they will pay a hefty price in another day.

Opposition is just a bunch of prima donnas in empty suits.

Most likely, and so was clear in their message to Deni & Co.

I am not a fan of Deni and in the end, he is to blame! Having said that, I hope he wins. I don't see Asad, Ina Farole, and Shire being any better. 

The only silver here is no next extension past the end of the term, something for future leaders to consider.

The year 2024 will be a consequential year for Puntland and Somalia.

I wonder if the constitutional amendments will still stand as it regards the number of political parties. Nobody wants to see three parties with expiration dates.

Very difficult position

let us admit, So much time was wasted by Deni for his ambitions in federal election

the process of one man one vote, and pure democracy must start early on, and opposition must be onboard from the beginning, and has to be VERY transparent