Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Sharif prep'ing for Clinton meeting

NG,

About 'hearts and minds'? Really?

Hearts and minds of Somalis are longing for peace and stability. They want the world to support them, and they want the return of thier goverment. They have taken the measure of alshabaab and found them NOT up to what it takes to deliver Somalia from this tragedy. Slogans and mechanical fatwas are no longer popular with the majority awoowe. And yes even Hargeysa supports Sharif

NGONGE   

Rubbish, Xiin. I bet you that the vast majority have no idea which way to turn. One minute they see how ugly Al Shabab and their agenda are and the next they see good old Sh. Sharif flip-flopping! They are like leaves in the wind and every little bit of news sends them flying to one side or the other.

Gesture politics plays a big part in changing people's minds and making them change sides. I can dig up dozens of instances where such small gestures built or destroyed entire administrations.

In shaking the lady's hand, the president distanced himself from his rabid Islamist past and demonstrated his ability to act like a normal person. The silent majority of Somalis (though they're as fickle as a teenage girl) all regard themselves as normal people.

Now, as long as Sh. Sharif does not try to put on the pious man act again he will be ok. Saying I am a Muslim is enough.

NGONGE   

Rubbish, Xiin. I bet you that the vast majority have no idea which way to turn. One minute they see how ugly Al Shabab and their agenda are and the next they see good old Sh. Sharif flip-flopping! They are like leaves in the wind and every little bit of news sends them flying to one side or the other.

Gesture politics plays a big part in changing people's minds and making them change sides. I can dig up dozens of instances where such small gestures built or destroyed entire administrations.

In shaking the lady's hand, the president distanced himself from his rabid Islamist past and demonstrated his ability to act like a normal person. The silent majority of Somalis (though they're as fickle as a teenage girl) all regard themselves as normal people.

Now, as long as Sh. Sharif does not try to put on the pious man act again he will be ok. Saying I am a Muslim is enough.

NGONGE   

^^^Nicely put, the problem NGOONGE is when he returns to Mogadishu and meets the clan Ulema, he will start acting like them and pretend to be Osma's shadow.

Sharif is always the same as the person next to him, lets hope he sticks to his guns and acts like you said normal.

^^^Nicely put, the problem NGOONGE is when he returns to Mogadishu and meets the clan Ulema, he will start acting like them and pretend to be Osma's shadow.

Sharif is always the same as the person next to him, lets hope he sticks to his guns and acts like you said normal.

There are leaves in the wind to be sure, and you yaa NGONGE is one such leave. I understand it's the wind turning you which every way but this latest dwelling on silly handshake is taking the cake. For the Millionth time Sharif is a politcian, and not a sheekh. a politician with muyuul islaami. Majority of the people are with him on the conceptual level. He speaks their language and uderstands thier plight. That he seeks outside help to deal with the intolerent forces beseiging him is understandable to the majority of somalis as well.

I understand you want to shoot down an extremist Sharif to support a normal one but those things are in your head saaxiib. In reality, and when put in the context in Somalia's evolving conflict Sharif has not departed from his original political station by much. He might have been naive but never extreme.

There are leaves in the wind to be sure, and you yaa NGONGE is one such leave. I understand it's the wind turning you which every way but this latest dwelling on silly handshake is taking the cake. For the Millionth time Sharif is a politcian, and not a sheekh. a politician with muyuul islaami. Majority of the people are with him on the conceptual level. He speaks their language and uderstands thier plight. That he seeks outside help to deal with the intolerent forces beseiging him is understandable to the majority of somalis as well.

I understand you want to shoot down an extremist Sharif to support a normal one but those things are in your head saaxiib. In reality, and when put in the context in Somalia's evolving conflict Sharif has not departed from his original political station by much. He might have been naive but never extreme.