Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

United States Policy on Somaliland

The United States currently engages the Somaliland administration and has provided assistance, for example to the election effort. Our policy on recognition is to allow the African Union to first deliberate on the question. We do not want to get ahead of the continental organization on an issue of such importance.

As indicated in the full quote above, the United States continues to engage with the administration in Somaliland on a range of issues, most directly Somaliland’s continued progress towards democratization and economic development.

In FY 2007, the United States provided a total of $1 million through the International Republican Institute to support training for parliamentarians and other key programs in preparations for the upcoming municipal and presidential elections in Somaliland. We expect to provide an additional $1.5 million in continued support for the democratization process in Somaliland following the elections.

While we continue to engage with the Somaliland administration, we do believe that the African Union is the most appropriate forum to address the question of recognition of Somaliland as an independent state. We understand that Somaliland is pursuing bilateral dialogue with the African Union and its member-states in this regard.

However, as the African Union continues to deliberate on this issue, the United States will continue to engage with all actors throughout Somalia, including Somaliland, to support the return of lasting peace and stability in the Horn of Africa.

Source U.S.Department of State

HERE

Thierry.   

Maybe Somaliland will be the base for Africom.

Saxiib its very simple they have failed and they are running out of options just they are in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is their way of experimenting with other options.

I saw Jendayi Frazer on Channel 4 last night and she got grilled by Jon Snow. They know its back

fired so they are looking for other options

Ibtisam   

Thierry I was thinking along the same lines, although a base might be going a bit too far. JB somaliland should run a few miles, this is really really bad news for the people. :(

Ibtisam   

^^^Hold your horses JB, and :mad: I could smack you one right now! THEY ARE JUST LOOKING TO SERVE THEIR OWN INTEREST, which is not the same as yours or SomaliLanders, they are just going to mess things up for you, big time. One of the main reason SL has survived is due to lack of so called "foreign Aid" AKA bribes to fuel tensions and to squabble over, as well as the foreign interventions Somalia kaal waalee. Somaliland and Somalilanders need to stop jumping on things without any consideration. Yes US consider Somaliland might be good politically (economically, other than aid, Somaliland production cannot compete in Us market) but at what cost? and more importantly who's cost?

Yes i know they are running for their own interes and i've mine ,,, the whole world is about interest these days.

I know Somaliland survived coz of that shyyt nothing coming in but this is the time to take some big steps to reach the goal, the final destination. Somalia can survive only when Somaliland's issue is finalized. That is what i believe.

Americans will go one day and it is me who is taking the advantage of the issue ,,,

Ibtisam   

WHAT? Somalia’s survival does not depend on Somaliland, nor are they in position to deliberate about the "issue of Somaliland, they have a bigger fish to fry! Both are far fetched assumptions JB and if America gets in, it is not LEAving.

It depends on Somaliland believe me ,,,,

and once Somaliland is recognized at least half of what was "Somalia" will be save from chaos and millions of lives have been saved.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Ghanima:

^^^Hold your horses JB, and :mad: I could smack you one right now!

What has happened to you Ghanima? You have become violent lately. Waaban ka baqaa hada :D

NASSIR   

Jacaylbaro, I don't think the statement by the Department of State will make any difference in Somalia. You should really ask yourself these questions and ponder on them. Which sub-state, Somaliland or Puntland+Makhir, is very strategic to the world powers.

It is Puntland+Makhir that is geopolitically strategic to EU and the U.S. The reason is Puntland sit on strategic locations such as the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea. If I give you an example how important is the Indian ocean to the world powers, China as an emerging power with its own grand strategy has no land route access to the Indian Ocean, but it has been on the search for ports to have access to Indian Ocean. China is building close ties with the government of Burma (read China-Burma Relations Playing with Fire by Donald Seekins) China's construction of 13 dams in Burma was recently halted after International pressure on China on the impact of the environment. Another strategic advantage Puntland+Maakhir has over Somaliland is the untapped oil and metallic resources, CAl Madow sceneries come to mind too. :D

india.gif

You could give a call to the US and explain to them the importance of bugland ,,,,, Now they're talking about Somaliland.

"Somaliland is an entity that works," a senior defense official said. "We're caught between a rock and a hard place because they're not a recognized state," the official said.

The Pentagon's view is that "Somaliland should be independent," another defense official said. "We should build up the parts that are functional and box in" Somalia's unstable regions, particularly around Mogadishu.

In contrast, "the State Department wants to fix the broken part first -- that's been a failed policy," the official said.

Seems they disagree with you .... sorry

NASSIR   

What is said is what is said. It has no legitimacy. This statement does not reflect the legitimate position of the U.S. government. It seems you are taking the informal conversation and personal views of the military officials in their answer to questions raised by some hired agents as legitimate. smile.gif