Sign in to follow this  
sayfulaah-almasluul

UNITED SOMALIA WAS THEIR GOAL, BUT SNM,SSDF,AND THEIR ALIKE IGNORED IT.

in the midle of high colonial period and at a time when it could have been it's exremist period for the somali people,few rather those 13 young men

1-Yassin haji osman sharmarke

2-abdi qadir sheikh saqawudiin

3-maxamed farah hilowle

4-dheere haji dheere

5-xaji maxamed husien

6-cismaan geedi raage

7-maxamed cisman baarbe

8-dahir xaji cisman sharmarke

9- cali hasan cal.

10-siyidiin hirsi nuur

11-maxamed cabdille xayees

12- hudow macalim

13-moxamed cali nuur.

stood together for one main goal,a goal which was and remain the ampetion of somali people,which was and still is, find united somalia,they constitutionlised the essentiality of somali union.they worked hard for it.they raised loudly and their voice was heard by all somali people, and action for lebiration remaining parts of somalia followed.in 1963 just three years after our gloriou independence, western somali people took arms against ethiopian corrup colonial empire.all this freedom fighting inspired by s.y.l continoued and will continoue untill united somali country is achieved. that is the common goal for all somali lover and those who understand what great somalia mean for somalia and for east africa.

but some colonial stooge tried and continooued to deminish the somali ampetious.they knot ties with dictators and cliamed to free somali from dictators!!!!!!and after they killed, murdered and destroyed all the somali instituitions,they ilogicaly and immorally called for separation.is very shocking call,unacceptble idea to somali people who eagerly wanted to see strong and democratic goverment out of their strugle,S.N.M, S.S.D.F,S.P.M AND THEIR ALIKE purchased the support of ethiopia at the expenses of great somalia.

These men had noble ideas , and were sincere in their belief of uniting all somali speaking regions of the Horn, but everybody lost sight of that. The call for greater Somalia was failure from the very begining. Somalis never rewarded the patriots who fought for our independence. If anything those benefitted from Somalia's independence was ones that who collobarating with the colonialists. N those who died in 77 were never honored. It is not easy fighting for nation that don't apprecaite the sacfrice one makes. I think greater Somalia is useless thing to chase now, but we should support our people in SomaliGalbeed n NFD in their bid for independence.

As for SSDf, SNM, USC, etc ignoring the goals of SYL. What did yu expect?. These orginazations are racists, qabiil-based, and useless institutions. They lacked vision, and were not certianly gonna bring social or polictical change to Somalia. The only thing they were good at is sending young men of their perspective tribes to death. Each entity sincerely believed in acheiving a goal in which Somalia is to be run by their own tribe.They all did preach hate n more hate. Looking at what they did to our land, I think it is fair to say a silverback has more brains than these idoits. Their lack in intelligence is clearly shown by their continues feeding feista on the corpes of what was Somalia. They keep chewing on our bones like the hynes they always were. They are worst thing happen to the somali, and Siyaad Barre was the second worst.

Blessed   

I don't intend to get into a debate but the partiality of the poster can't be ignored.

Somali Youth League were great men, fighting and gaining the independence of Somalia. So were members of the NUF (which coincidently no one seems to remember) who rigorously campaigned for the independence of British Somaliland and who later joined (quite willing if I may add) to the United Somalia.

The SNM was formed as a result of Siad Barres antogonistic rule. The initial aim of the SNM was not to form a separate state but to rid themselves of an oppressive government. The independence of Somaliland was something that was decided later by the people of Sland and not the SNM for several reasons... one of the being the instability of the rest of Somalia at the time that it was formed.

Somalinimo shouldn't come at the price of individual freedom and the oppression of certain groups. If we are going to unite lets do it in a respectable and mutual agreement -

sis amenah i defnitely agree with u that n.u.f played highly important and respected role for the unification of south and north in 1960,that was very brave step taken the leader of n.u.f and i think every somalian have for them much admiration,and i partialy also agree with u that may be the initial aim of finding s.n.m was to overthraw dictator siyaad,and i said "may be" cuz i can't be sure cuz one can't seek support from a dictator who actualy was occupying and badly harrassing somali brethren.and as the result of their(s.n.m,ssdfand others) policies ethiopia easly gained what it pursued for long time.it was the wishes of all ethiopian feudlism rulers to turn somalia either part of ethiopia or at least weak and easly maniputable country.ethiopia through s.n.m and s.s.d.f hypocracly destroy somalia.ethiopia realised that greater somalia means weaking ethiopian position in horn of africa. and as far as i know all somalia populations suffered under siyaad as norther,however they were only organisation declared separation policies.and as we all know it cuase great deal of division and opposition among the " s.landers" we shouldn't have given them this golden oppurtuniy to ethiopian,and today ethiopia solely demonaites somali future.

agree with che-Guevara,that the lack of honouring somali freedom fighters,ignoring their effort,the complete betrayal of the ideology to unite somali,was largely responsiple of somalia failure to successfuly pursue the goal of uniting somali.the dictatrial regime who purchased it's remaing on power at the expense of losing greater somali.i think however, greater somalia it is still achievable,there is long and hard way to go,but we should never despaire.the courage of somaligalbeed people is very high,they are still on high ready status and hopefuly will gain it's goal.the fruits of their stugle will be soon ready.and reast of somalia should pull themslves together and rally for one goal and great target greater somalia

let us revive the slogan of somaliyey toosoo toosoo isku tiirsada ee......

Gediid   

saaxiib history when distorted can lead a young mind astray.

Sayfulaah is it wrong for me to ask if Siyaad Barre had not done what he did in the central and Somaliland regions Ethiopia would have had no influence today in Somali politics.If Siyaad barre and his goons had not poisoned the wells in Mudug or sent his thugs to rape and pillage the North there would have been no need for an uprising?

Maybe there would have been no SNM or SSDF or USC for that matter.Maybe it was his government that was responsible for the condition that Somalis find themselves in that we have to blame.On another note of all the movements only one, yes only one the SNM I believe are celebrated by the people they fought for and the heroes of the SNM have streets named after them.

As for greater Somalia ,that idea saxiib I believe is one we I think will not see in our lifetime.Period.Its as dead as the people who poisoned that noble idea.

Baashi   

SNM, SSDF, USC, and others were all reacting to the policy of exclussion, the unfair, unbalanced power scheme practiced by the military junta headed by M. S. Barre. On the other hand they were all fighting for their respective clans not the interest of all Somalis. I don't blame them. I understand the true meaning of "Rag hadaad colowdaan asaad ciidan badan weydo; Hadba waxaad ku ciil bixi karto yaa kuu cawo aduun ah"...human nature!

Having said that, one has to acknowledge the order of the events and whether reactions justified the provocations. The defeat of the war was a very humaliating to the high ranking officers. Abdullahi Yusuf and Ciro tried to unseat ina-Barre. My family (blood) were doing well before that faithfull day! He lashed back as dictators are expected to...executing all the officers and demoting or jailing innocent folks who happen to share clan ties with these officers. SSDF formed and recruited men from Puntland with a mission to unseat the dictator with the full backing of Ethiopia. Barre felt threatened and made Mudug an example for all to see. The elites of Hargeisa, not only they were jubilant about what happen but poems had been recited about this tragedy in Mudug "Hamee ba'ee 'M' maxaa haddimo soo gaarey"

SNM formed not to secede, as Ameenah noted, but to protest the nepotism and the unfair power arrangemenet in Mogadishu. As elites begun to join SNM in masses, the military junta were putting tight lid on them. Qaat was banned (for economic reasons), Berbera port had been used only by those who share blood ties with the regime, etc. The economic embargo was so severe, nomads up there were chopping off the furniture in order to use it as coal for cooking.

SNM reacted in a way that exasperated the military junta (Morgan). As the accord between Barre and Mengistu draw near, SNM made its ultimate and tragic mistake by marching through villages inhabited by non-SNM affiliated clans. On its bath, it left a blood trail. And by entering the second largest city of the State, leaving no choice to the dictator they knew would fight back by any means necessary. Thus making the choice of paying such a high price to defeat him and hence rendering their city as a battle field. In Mogadishu, they were called 'xabadi keentey'. Their belongins, looted by soldiers, were on sale. By this time nomads had been already polorized along clan lines and the suffering of their brethren was treated with callous indifference.

The road betwwen Mudug and Hamar have seen the most inhumane treatment of nomads. Nomads were denied for proper burial after being killed by General Dhagecade and his platoons. USC military wing led the infamous Ceydeed were succesfull to topple the regime but he didn't have plan. His militia motivated by hate put into practice what they had been preached. At the end he couldn't control them. What happen, I guess, is well known. Civil war lend itself to anarchy.

It is very hard to heal the wounds. The thing is though Somalia is not the only country that experienced a civil war. Before unity, peace must prevail. And then workable political solution has to materialize. I for one have a hope that one day we Somalis will see a united and strong Somalia in the horn. I am not fond of blaming our ills to others but the reality is Egypt and Ethopia are the two countries erecting road blocks in the path of peace.

Gediid   

Originally posted by Baashi:

SNM reacted in a way that exasperated the military junta (Morgan). As the accord between Barre and Mengistu draw near, SNM made its ultimate and tragic mistake by marching through villages inhabited by non-SNM affiliated clans. On its bath, it left a blood trail.

Baashi saaxiib I have too much respect for you to not correct you here.SNM attcked Hargeysa and Burco and drove the Siad Barre goons out in 1988.They did not attack any other village South or North that was inhabited by its non SNM supporters.They left no blood bath and the Siad regime retaliated with everything it had in its aresenal.Not one single non SNM village was touched by the SNM.I just dont know where you got that info. :(

Baashi   

Cawaale,

The respect is mutual sxb. Of course I wasn't there but I have been informed what had happened by a friend whose family were murdered by SNM not in Hargeisa or Burco but in the rural area around Buuhoodle. There are 2 sides of these events, we should give the benefit of the doubt to both of them. Diehards will always attemp to make facts fit the story they want to tell, SNM supporters are not an exception.

sayfulaah-almasluul...Lets not revive "somaliyey toosoo toosoo isku tiirsada ee" slogan. Believe me we are better off divided. It seems the only reason we united in the first place ( If yu call that unity) was commonly shared opposition to foriegn dominatation. Once that was out of da picture, we turn each other.

The sick thing about Somalis is their lack of empathy for each other. People loved to critise Sayyid Barre n wat he did, but the reality was the military junta used tribes to do their dirty work. As long as your tribe wasn't getting screwed, a somali was ok with the goverment was doing.

Salaan...

Originally posted by Ameenah:

Somali Youth League were great men, fighting and gaining the independence of Somalia. So were members of the NUF (which coincidently no one seems to remember) who rigorously campaigned for the independence of British Somaliland and who later joined (quite willing if I may add) to the United Somalia.

Aamina, walaashiis saa mooday ma'aha xaalada.

While NUF {I don't know if this being the correct name} campaigned the freedom of British Soomaaliland, SYL was not limited to one region. While there were a lot of parties that represented clan-based regions in the south, SYL was not. True to their word, SYL was the only party that dreamed the creation of Soomaali Weyn; and it thus became effective, and had secret offices almost in all Soomaali lands, including British Soomaaliland, Soomaali Galbeed, Italian Soomaaliland; it even reached French Soomaaliland. It was this reason SYL got popular with Soomaalis, regardless of clan division.

By the way, SYL got on its feet while the British were almost occupying the entire Soomaali lands, only Jabuuti was the exception at that time, because the Italians were defeated in W-W-II, including to lose the power-base of southern part and Soomaali Galbeed which they controlled to British army. Unlike their Italian counterpart, British tolerated and gave a limited power to locals; this had given rise to the creation of SYL. SYL might have been created while Talyaani was still in control, but it wasn't that visible and fletched.

The independence of Somaliland was something that was decided later by the people of Sland and not the SNM for several reasons... one of the being the instability of the rest of Somalia at the time that it was formed.

The volatility of Soomaaliya was not the main motive behind the secession of Somaliland in 1991. Soomaaliland was created, not on the instability of the rest of Soomaaliya, but as a result of their pure dissatisfaction with the very first conference held in Jabuuti back in early 1991. That quick-fix scheme conference was what brought overall explosive nature Soomaaliya state is found right now; first because it was a quick-way out, quick-solution conference, ignoring the facts of conflict. It was wrongly miscalculated, most delegates being members of Manifesto* group, electing one among them as president, Cali Mahdi Maxamed. And indeed, certain clans were shunned, among them Siyaad Barre’s clan.

In that conference, Soomaaliland {led by ambitious, power-hungry individuals} wanted a greater share of power, including two equal powerful federal state regions, mainly consisting Soomaaliya and Soomaaliland, which was wholly rejected by the delegates. One reason being if Soomaaliya opted to have federal system, each region should get equal representatives, which the delegates of Soomaaliland did not like.

* Manifesto consisted powerful individuals displeased with the culminative actions taken by Siyaad Barre's regime and signed a declaration with each person's name on; it was in late '89 and early '90. In the communiqué was that Maxamed Siyaad Barre must resign immediately and safe the Soomaali nation on the brink of civil explosion. Aw Siyaad's response?? To arrest all of them who confirmed their signatures immediately. But some feared and didn't aknowledge their signatures, among in this group was the late Raajis Maxamed Raajis and Cali Mahdi Maxamed, whom were both have been accorded to have said when the feared NSS came to them, "Aah, we never signed this proclamation. Where did you get it from?"

Untrue to their hearts.

Soon Wanaagsan.

RaMpAgE   

The Only way too Bring about Greater Somalia is by Conquering, theirs no other away, seems harsh but true.

This has been the same trought out History from Ancient egypt to Rome too Today.

Waaq   

How about forgetting about a greater Somalia and concentrate on fixing the Somalia that did exist. As strong Somalia will be in a position to secure the rights of Somalis living in these areas. BTW, the ****** already has self rule that is apparently working.

Waaq   

Baashi, I have to disagree with you on the role of Ethiopia and Egypt. Self-interest and greed are what stand in the way of peace in Somalia. The peace process has been hijacked by the thugs that created a need for it in the first place. My prediciton is that if there is not strong intervention from some external party within the next six months, Southern Somalia will be mired in conflict for the next 15 years. Somaliland will begin to receive recognition, and Puntland will be forced to follow suit. If this peace process fails we will not see a united Somalia in our lifetime. That is the fact folks.

Haashim   

SYL's Goal was United Somalia, no dispute about that, but who's responsible for our current situation?

Sayfulaah wrote:

S.N.M, S.S.D.F,S.P.M AND THEIR ALIKE purchased the support of ethiopia at the expenses of great somalia.

First of all i want to point out thay if for example, a somali brother killed my family, destroyed my home, and perhaps raped my relatives as happened to many of us by either late regime soldiers or current mallitias, why he is blaming me to collaborate with ethiopia or any foreigner who will help me to get back some of my rights which he deprieved me.

if we look back the history the first collaborates of Ethiopia were SSDF after the atrocities in Galkayo, garowe and other villages, not to mention the imprisonments, excutions and assassinations.

The second were SNM after atrocities hargeysa, burco and other villages.

The third were USC after atrocities in central regions.

The fourth were RRA after USC occupation and atrocities occured in Bay region

Today certain warlords have a good relation with Ethiopia while others are opposing not from the principal perspectives but because either there are no vacant seats or they have other friends (from inside and outside) who can give the support that they need.

in conclusion, the solution is very easy don't oppress your brother/sister in Islam because ALLAH (SWT) forbid the oppression and if you oppressed him/her don't blame him/her if they colloborate with enemy and we have to remember that the oppression from brother is in some cases worse than the oppression from the enemy.