Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Metamorphosis: Changing the thinking of the “Somali intellectual�

Sophist   

Vivking, true, though Theologians (most of them in Somalia apart from few, the exception to the generalisation:: Sheekh Sharrif C/Nur and Maxamed Nuur Qawi both men with great knowledge and wisdom ayaa biyo dhigey.) are not fit to rule over Somalis walahi--- not because Islam is not the curer of all evils but more of the carriers of its flag being incapable bunch.

About the "intellectualls), couple nights ago, I have met Prof Samatar who have read my article on Hiiraan.com when I put to the question I have raised in the article, his response was that "he decided to teach for the rest of his life and not lead". As the saying goes, those who can not DO TEACH.

Viking   

Sophist,

I don't know of the men you mentionned but agree that we don't have theologians capable of leading the Somali people. About Prof Samatar, there's hardly any nobler profession than teaching, so the man is doing something good. This is sadaqa that will live on long after his death.

I have some pictures my father sent me, he was with among other Prof Gandi at a Somali Civil Society Workshop held in Nairobi a few years ago. Some people are involved in different aspects of building the Somali society, the political sphere is obviously the most visible.

http://www.somali-civilsociety.org

Sincere   

Sophist let me take a stab at this from a historical viewpoint. To understand why the present Intellectuals/professionals are reluctant to dabble in Somali politics, you would have to scrutinize the past as well. Unfortunately the political history of Somalia has been poorly documented, and has been contaminated by propaganda, hearsay, and far too many assumptions.

I know many able, diligent intellectuals in our Community, why can’t take the leadership? I know why, because they don't want a challenge. Most of them are quite fed up by a lot of has-been men who pollute our community, unless these has-beens are challenged then the vacuum will still be there, and our community will be led by incompetent, failed bigots who can only increase the shadow of ignorance and political stagnation.

Forgive me if I take your words out of context, whilst using them to further dissect this issue. Prof samanter and ilk I hold in high esteem, and have the utmost respect for. I feel their reluctance is justifiable, for the Somali political arena is swarming with illiterate bigots who are on a relentless warpath to be recognized as innovators and pioneers. Lets take a walk down memory lane and glimpse at how far back this battle of wits between intellect and bigot extends. Here are 2 brief bios, of people considered intellectuals/professionals. My intention is not to praise, slander or discredit neither one but to show the history of head butting between intellect Vs other. Lack of support from their “intellectually inept†political peers, is the root cause that lead to their inevitable resignations. (there are many more individuals who faced similar circumstances)

1.Yusuf M. Duxul (Ilahi ha u naxriisto) LLM. Masters in law from Columbia University went back to Somalia and quickly rose to the position of attorney general in the 60’s. Resigned his position in protest to a government decree passed that could imprison an individual without due process. Moved on and became a founding member and editor in chief of ‘Dalka’ monthly journal, the first English paper in Somalia. The journal was very critical of government policies, and was considered seditious. To avoid the same scathing criticism SYL party covertly bought this paper, when it took over office. Went back to private practice. He played a major role in creating the s/l constitution, albeit he openly advocated against secession, and believed in a greater somaliweyn.

2.Dr Hassan A. Mire. PhD Graduated in foreign affairs from Princeton University (first Somali PhD not to mention an ivy league school) went back to somalia and quickly rose to the position of minister of education in the late 60’s early 70’s. Resigned in protest of the regimes policy’s, and was exiled. Founding member of SSDF in 78, and later became chairman sometime in the 80’s.The First southerner to go on BBC in the 80’s and criticize and chastise the regime for the atrocities that occurred in northern Somalia. He is also known to be very critical of people within his own clan. Retired from politics after 30+ years and currently lectures on occasion.

With these 2 bios I hope you see the picture I’m trying to paint. Lack of Leadership or courage on the part of intellectuals is not the issue. In essence the current intellectual/professional stands no chance unless he has overwhelming support of people, who are devoid of prejudice or clan allegiances. That was the case 30 years ago, and it’s a shame to say but that is the case right now. The suggestion that Prof Samantar take the helm, and try to blaze a trail of moral standards will only lead to frustration when he is faced with a plethora of prejudiced people. Thus i think its not changing the thinking of the intellect but more so the bigot, that would drastically change our situation.

The old phrase comes to mind “politics is a dirty game’, and in the case of Somalia it has gotten downright bloody.

Viking   

That philosophical adage 'Always un-reasonable men adopt the world to themselves, where reasonable men adopt themselves to the world, thus unreasonable men are those who change the world is a touching saying,

Those wise words by Shaw sorta gave me a hand through the qaxooti days, way before I got the sharci and understood the society I lived in.

Sophist   

My fellow gents, I accede with the notion that all intellectuals can not be effective leaders, but indeed a good leader needs some sort of erudition in the political climate in Somalia. This is what the above article speaks of. In addition, there needs to be an active campaign that would ignite the undercurrent that seems to be out there. Discreet, Yusuf Dhuxul was not only a fellow Lawyer but also a man of great understanding of our societal ills. I have the entire 1967 Dalka editions, and the reading is just marvellous. The professionalism, idealism, and political activism Mr Yusuf Dhuxul had shown was quite unparallel. But as you have rightly said, he was not alone. In the first Republic, (1960-69 ) Somalia had produced heavy weight intellectuals, the likes of the late Professor Abyan , the founder of “Sidamâ€. His obituary was featured in The Guardian and The Independent Newspapers in 1991. Like his fellow colleague Mire, Abyan was educated at that fine institution; Yale and devoted his life educating our future Economists. He was a fierce critic of Siyad Bare and was killed by the USC (rumour has it, under the orders of General Galaal).

The reason those chaps had failed was not because of their inept in politics, but indeed by their lack of unity and organization.

What we need now as Bashi had suggested, an institution that will foster moral and effective governance.

NGONGE   

I don’t mean to become a party pooper here. But I thought Somalis of all creeds and political persuasions had countless “think tanks†already! A quick search on the net will generate dozens of so called groups and associations. Meetings are convened, articles are written and resolutions are made but no results are to be had!

In some of the above replies someone touched upon the battle between intellectuals and bigots. This is really the real war that needs to be won. Somalia could have peace tomorrow but if this battle is not won, the fights, arguments, tribalism and mayhem will return.

A leader whether intellectual or otherwise is not needed right now. Hundreds of leaders are needed though. Somalia might not be a democracy but majority still rules. The majority of ignorance, prejudice and blindness!

To make a difference we need to understand the Somali psyche. The one that lives and dies by the phrase “ waxa la yedhiâ€, the one that greets you with the words “ ii waran†and “ maxa cosobâ€. These might sound like simple and harmless words but I believe them to be the root of all that’s bad about Somali society. They’re the tools that give a platform to propaganda and distortion. They’re the implements that open the door to hearsay and hatred. They remain and have always been our main source of “informationâ€.

I also agree with the poster who concluded that the current Somali climate needs erudite leaders and speakers. They needn’t only be leaders though. What’s more important than the leader are the political analysts, the sincere journalists and the various observers. They’re the ones that need to be clear and fair. If a think tank is needed then let it be a journalistic one. One that ignores tribal allegiances, covers, criticises or praises events as they unfold! One that has the ability to reach every Somali home or abroad.

In order to do this, whoever starts, joins or even approves of such an entity will have to have the well being of the average Somali person as their only driving force. Who wins what, who breaks away from whom or who was right and wrong should not matter. Yours should be a purely humanitarian aim.

I’m sure there are many such bodies around the world and in Somalia. Some even, only exist in some tortured souls heads’. Bringing them all together and giving them a platform to spread and swap their ideas and conclusions is what’s lacking.

What I believe is needed and I’ve personally searched fruitlessly for, is a World Wide Television station. It might sound like an ambitious idea but I believe if such a station existed, and wasn’t used as a propaganda mouthpiece for one group or another, the possibilities of progress being made will be beyond measure. It will allow us, to a certain extent, to get rid of the “waxa la yedhi†cancer. It will give these shy “intellectuals†the opportunity to air their thoughts and advance the political discussion from the gutter it currently resides in.

In Somalia, we’ve already done the armed revolution part. It was physical and many people suffered as a result. It’s time for a peaceful one and the only way this will happen is if you give people one point of reference. The Arabs who are in a relatively better political position than Somalia had the Al Jazeerah Television station in the early 1990’s. It changed their whole outlook. It opened doors they never knew existed. It daily gathers the best minds of that race and invites them to wax lyrical about all the problems of the Arab world and beyond. Their efforts might not yield immediate results but what they really do is educate their viewers and target audience. Rather than lamenting the reluctance of the our “intellectuals†to involve themselves in Somali politics, we need to invite them to do so and assure them that their words will be heard by Somalis in every corner of the world.

This is the think tank that I believe we need. Then again, I might be deluding myself once more.

PS

I apologise if this sounds like one big rant. I was typing in a hurry and I’m not sure if any of it makes any sense.

Baashi   

Qabyaalad Watch Institute

Organizational Status:

Independent institute, founded in 2004 in SOL cyber village, Earth.

Background/Scope:

Qabyaalad Watch was formed to ....

Qabyaalad Watch is guided by the belief that ....

Qabyaalad Watch works with and through the nonprofit sector because of its vital place in communities and because of the organization's faith that the Diaspora can play a powerful role in revitalizing the nation's...

Qabyaalad Watch concentrates on several main areas: ....

Areas of Research:

Social issues, political issues, environment and natural resources, communications and information, health and welfare.

Geographic Focus:

Domestic.

Funding Sources:

Foundations (?%), technical assistance, project research (?%), sales of publications (?%). Budget (2005): USD ?.

Staff:

10 ( 10 male, 0 female :D ), including 9 research and 1 administrative.

Executive Officers:

Sophist (Executive Director)

Chief Resreachers: (sexist leaning dept. icon_razz.gif )

Ngonge (Policy Analyst)

Caaqil (Policy Analyst)

Alle-ubaahane (Manager, Community Education Center)

Zeylici (Public Affairs Liaison)

Rudy (Project Coordinator)

Caano Geel (Coordinator)

Waaq (Policy Analyst)

Discreet1 (Researcher)

Viking (Researcher)

Research Findings:

Some recent titles include:

Metamorphosis: Changing the thinking of the “Somali intellectualâ€

Periodicals:

The Anarchist Watch (Somali/English, quarterly, subscription)

Baashi,

You really make me laugh, lol! I don't have any discontempt with the position, but I hate working as a public adminstrator. Your creativity to forming such non-existant organization impresses me, indeed.

Keep up the good works, bro.

N.B. did you forget Ms/Mr. Vicking?

Sophist   

Baashi! are you hoping this to be a failure? mate you should be the Director of this institution. Also where is Nur and Mutakalim? Perhaps The should work in the Illumination Dept! what say you?

Sincere   

Lmao. Baashi, the flashes of ingenuity you display in this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Sophist, I concur with you on that. Mr. Yusuf Dhuxul (ilahi ha uu naxriisto) was indeed a man ahead of his time. Prof Abyan ( Ilahi ha uu naxriisto) was a man to be reckoned with as well. The 1960-1969 era definitely produced heavyweights that have yet to be rivaled. Insha Allah im sure the diaspora will produce individuals who will give them a run for their money.

I’m curious to know who were the individuals who contributed articles to the “dalka†editions you have. I read one back in my teenage years, and I did not have the mentality to fathom the idealism and objective. I would be willing to pay 100 geel, iyo 15 faras to leaf through one today

Baashi   

Alle-ubaahane and Discreet,

God bless Google :D

Sophist,

I wasn't serious! Only respondent to this thread is on the list.

Sophist   

Bashi, and a such I had taken it my fellow.

Discreet, will reply to you when I get home in couple hours time insha Allah.

Matkey   

What we need to emphasis chiefly is the social fabrics, as oppose to a leadership. Let me divert from the discussion at hand in order to expound what I mean by social fabrics, with the intention of illustrating why peace and stability are beyond our reach. I have been preoccupied with questions, which many people (intellectual or otherwise) are disinclined to address them as some of the elements hindering the effort to build state. Do we address the real issue in Somalia? On what terms do we bring about stability? There is this presupposed rationalism that one group/clan has an aptitude to reverse the current situation; and hence, this predicament will continue to exist. There are other lines of reasoning which is equally detrimental to the making (I am reluctant to use the word remake) of Somali state, which meets the conditions or criteria of being a sovereign state.

According to my understanding of the term “intellectâ€, one can be an intellectual and the same time fail to pass incontrovertible judgment, because of bereft of objectivity. What I mean by lack of objectivity is that the intellectual hail from their respective tribes, clans and sub-clans. Hence there exists an involuntary unfairness or bias in human judgment, albeit some can master how to constrain before this element of qabiil surface. I am using the term judgment very loosely in order to delineate that cultural background can have a profound impact upon the way in which any given society perceives or views the outside world. Am I insinuating that Somalia consist of people with different historical and cultural background? I suppose my take on this one does not change the present situation. Am I pessimistic about our future? Yes! Is there any hope left for us? Yes. Because, we believe in Allah!

n retrospectively, I am still endeavoring to accept the view that intellectuals can bring about peace and stability, without reshaping our social and political thinking. I used to think that lack of leadership was what conditioned us into this chronic disorder. However, I have been gradually withdrawing from the notion that a good leadership is what Somalia lacks, and I have came to the conclusion that it is the edifice of our society which poses peril to political process. I am not dismissing the fact that leadership is one of the main components, but it is equally imperative, if not the most critical, to examine our process of thinking and as well as perception of other Somalis. I can not help noticing the discrepancies contained most of the political debate engaged by the Somali intellectuals or commoners. In any case I will remain pessimistic so long as our narrow and biased view continues to overshadow the moral training required to create society, which is capable of understanding the concept of state/nationhood. This is my two cents.

Salaama

Abdirahman Koronto

BBCSomali.com

20040924174044seminar2.jpg

Midigta: Cabdi samatar, Dasuuqi, Cali Sheekh

Siminaar muddo afar maalmood ah aqoonyahanno iyo xirfadlayaan Soomaaliyeed uga socday Hotel-ka Windsor oo uu soo qabanqaabiyay xafiiska goboleed ee Geeska Afrika ee Hay'dda Heinrich Boll Foundation, ayaa galabta la soo gabagabeeyay.

War qoraal ah oo aqoonyahanadu ay soo saareen gabagabadii kulankooda, ayay ku sheegeen in umadda soomaaliyeed ay soo dhowaynayso horumarka laga gaaray shirka ilaa hadda oo ay rajaynayso in dhibaatada ay ku jireen ay kaga bixi doonaan.

Hase yeeshee, horumarkan wanaagsan uu dhinac socdo qorshaha guud ahaan oo laga dareemayo dano gaar ahaaneed iyo nidaamka awood qaybsiga.

Waxay xuseen in aysan aqoonyahanada siminaarku u dhamaaday aysan ahayn isbahaysi siyaasadeed, aysan daro doonayn, u ordayn baarlamaan iyo madaxwayne, balse ay doonayaan in dadka soomaaliyeed wax noqdaan oo intay amaano helaan kadibna is dhisaan.

Waxay aqoonyahanadu sheegeen in ay xooga saareen lix qodob oo muhiim oo kala ah dib u heshiisiinta, ammaanka, xukunka dowladeed, soo kabsashada dhaqaale, waxbarashada iyo caafimaadka.

Kooxdan aqoonyahanadu, waxay sheegeen in ay jiraan todoba qodob oo muhiim ah oo ay u arkeen in ay dhaxalgal yihiin in lagu tiigtiigsado muddada ku meelgaarka ah.

20040924173834seminar.jpg

Aqoonyahanada oo fadhiya hoolka seminar-ka

Todobada qodob

In si deg deg ah loo abuuro Kulanka Rayidka ee Qaranka, taasoo noqon doonta meel fagaare ah oo ay isugu yimaadaan dadka soomaaliyeed ee rayidka.

In guddiga la soo dhisi doono in ay tahay qasdigiisu in uu dadka heshiisiiyo, oo ay noqdaan dad garaadkooda, ixtiraankooda iyo iimaankooda aysan su'aal ka taagnayn, oo aanay dadka u kala eexan.

In dadka siyaasiyiinta ee dowladda ka mid noqonaya iyo kuwa kale ee hubka waawayn haystaa dhamaantood ay hubka ku wareejiyaan cid meel dhexaad ah oo mas'uul ah lagu wareejiyo taas la'aanteed ma imanayso nabadgalyo, dowladna ma dhismayso.

In dadka kaalmaynaya qaran dhisidda Soomaaliya in ay ku adkaystaan in aysan dowladda la soo dhisayaan aysan ka badnaan laba iyo toban wasaaradood, dadka loo dooranayaana ay noqdaan dad farsamadoodu heer sare tahay.

In safarka nabadda ee heerkan soo gaaray si uu u taabo galo waa in si xoog leh loo maalgaliyo sidii loo abuuri lahaa boqolaal kun oo shaqo si dadka dhalinyarada ah ay u helaan fursadihii ay waayeen afar iyo tobankii sano ee la soo dhaafay.

In dib u dhiska tacliinta qaranka Soomaaliyeed uu ku dhisnaadaa oo guntiisu ay ahaataan xooga ay keeneen dadka wax bara dadka Soomaaliyeed ee wadanka aan ka tagin ee joogay muddadii burburka, dadaalka ay la yimaadeen waa in uu noqdaa aasaaska dib u abuurka waxbarashada Soomaaliyeed.

In dib loo soo habeeyo, loona dhiso isbitaaladii, dugsiyadii iyo jaamacadii caafimaadka wax looga baran jiray, si xoog lehna loo maalgaliyo sidii loola dagaalami lahaa cudurada fida, gaar ahaan kaneecada, TB-da iyo HIV-AIDS.

Talooyinka kale iyo ka soo qaybgalka

Waxaa tallooyinka aqoonyahanada ka mid ahaa in barnaamijyada taakulaynta iyo samatabixinta Soomaalida ee bulshada caalamku ay waddo ay muhiim tahay in Soomaali laga qaybgaliyo oo waliba ay hormuud ka ahaadaan.

Munaasabadda xiritaanka siminaarka, oo ay ka qaybgaleen safiirka Kenya ee Soomaaliya, Maxamed Cabdi Afeey, safiirka Poland ee Kenya, waxaa aqoonyahanada kale ee ka qaybqaatay ka mid ahaa Axmed Ismaaciil Samatar, Dr Cali Sheekh Axmed, prof Maxamed Cabdi Maxamed Gaandi, C/risaaq Xaaji Xuseen, Cabdi Maxamed Baafo iyo xubno kale.

Paragon   

Discreet1,

"I would be willing to pay 100 geel, iyo 15 faras to leaf through one today"

Dalka.jpg

Buy it from this website.

Don't forget to give me the geel and fardo smile.gif .

PS: for anyone interested in books about Somalia this site is one of the best places to look.